Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-03, 11:20 AM   #1
rjstein

Default MPEG tearing on twinview

Hello,

I'm trying to playback some very large (>1920x700) MPEG movies on my linux system. I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 and two lcd flat panels running at 1024x768, one connected to the VGA output and one to the DVI output. I'm using the 1.0-4349 kernel module and RH9.
When I play these movies back in twinview mode there are significant problems with tearing across the frame... I've tried several different players (including xine, mplayer, smpeg, etc...) and all exhibit the same problems... If I disable twinview and play the movies back on a single screen... the tearing problem goes away...
From other work that I've done I have used the __GL_VSYNC_ON_BLANK environment variable to control tearing in opengl applications... so I searched for an mpeg decoder that plays back in opengl... I found one and tried it... and in fact the problem is a little better, but the tearing problem still exists... and the playback is dog slow... (probably an app problem)
I desperately need a fix to this problem... and don't want to switch to either Windows, or ATI to do it!!! Can someone help me out here? Is there an NVidia tech guru reading this list that could give a fellow graphics developer a hand?

Thanks

Rob
rjstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 11:53 AM   #2
Nebbi

Post Me too

I have the same problem...
Nebbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 12:07 PM   #3
rjstein

I just upgraded to the 1.0-4363 drivers and have the same problem... I also thought I'd include my XF86Config file
Attached Files
File Type: log xf86config.log (14.8 KB, 158 views)
Old 06-17-03, 12:30 PM   #4
Thunderbird

I assume you are using Xv in media players to play your movies. There is one problem with Xv which only shows up when multiple screens are used. The problem is related to hardware video overlays. It can be used at only one screen at a time. When TwinView is used the drivers default to simple blitting when using Xv. Perhaps that part is buggy. So the real advantage of Xv is gone when using twinview.

I'd recommend not to use Xv as the output plugin in your mediaplayer (also no SDL, since it likely uses Xv too). I hope this helps.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 01:27 PM   #5
rjstein

yeah, I saw that Xv is the default video driver for most of these... and so I did just tried a few other video drivers... most notably
mplayer has two different gl output drivers...
trying 'mplayer -vo gl2' seems to offer better results, but there are still some noticable tearing artifacts even with PageFlipping and __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK turned on...