Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-09, 02:09 AM   #1
mazar83

Default glx missing on ubuntu 9.04 64bit with 9600gt

Hello,

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place the first time.

As per the instructions given by 'zander' at http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 on August 2002.

>> 1) If you have a stability problem, please read this thread first:
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498

As far as I can tell, stability is not my issue.

>> 2) Please search the NVIDIA Linux (or FreeBSD) Forum for existing threads discussing the
>> problem you are seeing, it may have been resolved (or a workaround may have been found). If you
>> can not find such a thread, please start a new thread - it is really hard to keep track of
>> bugs/problems if they are discussed in generic threads (such as '1.0-8756 for Linux x86-64
>> released').

I have searched many forums for solutions to my problem, but none of them seem to work. Furthermore, I am not confident that the solutions I have attempted were carried out correctly.

>> 3) Please always include a detailed description of the problem (both when starting a new thread
>> and when posting to existing threads), as distinct problems can have nearly identical symptoms
>> (e.g. black screens, hung X servers, ...). Reliable reproduction steps are especially useful.

I have a P5Q Pro motherboard and a 9600gt video card. I am trying to create a fully functional 64bit ubuntu 9.04 installation (ubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64.iso). Upon installation of this distribution, the login screen successfully loaded and I was able to login to the desktop environment. I edited /etc/apt/sources.list to include more and began to install many packages using apt-get. I don not know if you need these or what the relevant packages are for the nvidia driver. However, I installed all the ones that were recommended to me by the programs I was trying to install and also by the forums I browsed. Then I downloaded the file 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run' from the nvidia website and executed the following commands.

ctrl alt f1
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
telinit 1
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run

I said yes to everything except to have the X configuration overwritten. I did this because in a previous ubuntu installation it caused the system to boot into a text based recovery mode and I was unable to access the x server. I didn't know then what I know now about reseting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Anyway, I restarted the computer and attempted to find the new driver in (System > Administration > Hardware Drivers). When 185.18 was not found in that list I decided to enable the 180.44 driver.

Restarting and configuring (System > Administration >NVIDIA X Server Settings) allowed me to setup my dual monitor display. I have done many things since then, but as it stands now the packages marked as installed in the 'Synaptic Package Manager' can be found in the file packages in info.bz2

My problem is that when I look at the OpenGL/GLX Information entry (System > Administration >NVIDIA X Server Settings) I see this

Fail to query the GLX server vendor.

Further investigation with the command line queries can be found in the file command-outputs in info.bz2

I have tried several things including reinstalling using envy, adding additional modules in xorg.conf, loading dri, disabling dri, loading dri2, disabling dri2, enabling composite, disabling composite, enabling renderaccel, disabling renderaccel, and other things that I can't remember in the xorg.conf

None of my actions change the behavior of my system. Installation of anything that needs the graphics card results in the same 'glx' error when I try to run them. Also, compiz is installed, but adjusting settings in the 'CompizConfig Settings Manager' does not do anything. Furthermore, switching from the 'metacity' to the 'compiz' window manager causes most window interactions to freeze until I switch back.

>> 3a) Please always include a copy of an nvidia-bug-report.log file, which can be generated
>> with the `nvidia-bug-report.sh` script shipped with the NVIDIA Linux/FreeBSD graphics drivers
>> and installed in your PATH; the log file will be placed in the current working directory.

It is attached in the info.bz2 file.

>> 3b) In case of NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installation problems (when using one of the official
>> .run installers), please attach the `nvidia-installer` log file, /var/log/nvidia-
>> installer.log.

It is attached in the info.bz2 file.

>> 3c) If you have collected additional information, but are not sure if it is relevant /appropriate,
>> please attach it, anyway.

I have included my current xorg.conf file in the info.bz2 file.

I hope you can help me. Besides my graphics driver, I have everything setup.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 info.tar.bz2 (32.3 KB, 106 views)
mazar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 02:11 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: glx missing on ubuntu 9.04 64bit with 9600gt

Here's the error:
Quote:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libglx.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libglx.so: undefined symbol: _nv000110gl
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libglx.so
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
This usually indicates that libglx is being loaded with the wrong version of libGLcore. Usually, this occurs when the wrong version of libGLcore is installed. I would suggest reinstalling the driver and then attaching a new bug report.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 02:30 PM   #3
mazar83

Thanks for your reply. I consider myself a linux newbie. I am unsure about the proper approach to reinstallation of the driver. Some people say to follow the nvidia instructions while others say to use the ubuntu installer or to use envy. Which way do you recommend? Furthermore, is any uninstall required prior to reinstall?

Thanks
Old 07-05-09, 01:04 PM   #4
Puposet
Tim Jackson

Ubuntu 9.04(jaunty)
Kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
amd64
Integrated GeForce 7050/PV

I got the same error message after reinstalling the Ubuntu-supported nVIDIA driver (180.44) following a failed installation of version 185.18.14.

The following procedure worked to get back (afgter alot of messing about and blind alleys)
Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA* --uninstall
This left me with GL running in emulation mode, then uninstalling and reinstalling the original driver using EnvyNG got me back to normal, which is no real problems except for X locking up now and again when running GL games.

185.18.14 failed apparently because I couldn't stop the kernel loading the old module first, even though I did the recommended edit to /etc/default/linux-restricted-module-common, and also tried uninstalling linux-restricted-module-common, all of which made no difference at all, the log still showed the 180.44 module loading then conflicting with the new version.

The installation of the 185.18.14 said it was recompiling it for this kernel (yes I checked the required headers etc were installed) and gave the error message
Quote:
Unable to open /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-org-core for reading (no such file or directory)
but appeared to continue OK.

Tim Jackson
Puposet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 12:32 AM   #5
flyinraptr

Similar issue here ..

Jaunty 9.04
2.6.28-13
AMD 64 4400+
GeForce 9800 GX2

Driver 180.44 has been working fine .... tried upgrading to 185.18.14 - x server would only boot into low graphics mode. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail - tried versions 180.60 - no go. Reinstalled version 180.44 to get it back working again and then went through the entire procedure again to install 185.18.14 - same result ..... reinstalled version 180.44 and everything is working again? Any ideas?
flyinraptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:32 PM   #6
mazar83

Hello again,

I have attempted a reinstall of the driver. I will tell you what I have done. First, in (System -> Administration -> Hardware Driver) I removed the activated driver (180.44). Then I did

sudo apt-get purge envyng

Then,

ctrl+alt+f1
logged in as root
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
sh NVIDIA* --uninstall

Then, reboot
Then,

ctrl+alt+f1
logged in as root
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
sh NVIDIA*

I said yes to the building of the kernel module. Then it asked me if I wanted to install the included 32bit OpenGL (even though I have 64bit linux...don't know if that's a problem). Then it gives me the following error.

ERROR: Unable to open '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglx.so' for reading (No such file or directory)

However, after pressing 'ok' a bunch of times the installation continued and finished. I rebooted and checked for the missing file. I could not find it. Then, I noticed that NVIDIA X Server Settings reappeared in (System -> Preferences). I proceeded to check for the error under the 'OpenGL/GLX Information' tab. I thought success! The appropriate information now appears instead of 'Fail to query the GLX server vendor.'

I have previously installed the 'Compiz Fusion Icon' package, which allows for switching between metacity and compiz window managers. Unfortunately, switching to compiz still results in the same behavior.

I will attach new files (including the bug report) in a new tarball (info2.tar.bz2)

Thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 info2.tar.bz2 (37.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 07-12-09, 02:36 PM   #7
mazar83

Hello,

Well despite the error during instillation of the driver 185.14.18 I have figured out the reason for my trouble with compiz. It turned out that the default composite manager that comes with gnome was taking precedence over that of the compiz one.

Thanks for your responses.