Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-09, 05:50 PM   #13
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48
Default Re: Samsung PB22-J and other SSD's

slawter,

What do you think between the X25 and the GSkill Falcon?
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 06:32 PM   #14
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Agreed, RAID 0 might be a good thing for some first gen SSDs. But newer disks or the Intel SSDs are much better. And all those high bandwidths of over 400MB/s aren't really necessary unless you're running a crazy ass fileserver.

Maybe I'll change my opinion once I get a second X25 but for now I think a newer single SSD is enough for a boot disk because in that case, large file size transfer rate are not important.
I don't get what you mean by "large file size transfer rates aren't important." I don't know about you, but I still like to move around large files in my folders.. do a lot of copying/pasting from one location to another. So far, I've found Raid0 to speed these transfers up a lot. Also, Photoshop loads up in about 3 seconds.

As for it benefiting only first-gen SSD's.. I'm not so sure about that, either. Overall performance is improved, including small file reads and writes. A benchmark in ATTO should show this as it tests very small files to large ones. I think, across the board, performance can improve.. even on smaller file sizes. Virus scans, general usage, shutdown times, etc were shown to be improved on high-end drives, as well:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...55&postcount=8

I look at this stuff in a simlar way as I look at multi-GPU. It won't benefit every scenario, but it'll help in some.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 08:27 AM   #15
Xion X2

Quote:
RAID 0 can also overload things. Did you see [H]'s article about that from this week? Boot times went in fact up going from single drive to RAID configs...
I didn't read that, but I'm thinking it would depend on a lot of factors. The type of controller you're using, processor speed, drive model, etc. My loading times literally halved when going to Raid0. Vista loads mid-way through the 2nd bar whereas it took up to 5-6 cycles on a single drive. The desktop pops up immediately at twice the speed it did on a single drive. Shut-down times are also much, much faster.

Quote:
There is one thing I could profit from RAIDing SSDs... you get enough space to install games on it and profit there from faster load times and such.
Yep. See, I don't want any HDDs at all in my system. I'm in the process now of swapping out the Raptors for 4 Vertex drives to go with my Core drives. Too much noise, too heavy and too much power/heat. Archaic technology.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 07-08-09, 11:44 AM   #16
Revs

Well the Falcon has landed . I'll slap W7b on there tonight and see how it goes. BTW, any idea which version of 7 I should be using, or is it just a matter of newer is better?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 03:46 PM   #17
Xion X2

Quote:
hehe. Did you get four 120GB Vertex drives?
Heck, no. They're like 500$ apiece. I make a decent living, but not that decent. I'm going w/ smaller sizes (32/64) until the prices come down some.

Instead of going w/ a large single or two large drives, I decided to go w/ 4 smaller ones. By raiding 4 smaller Vertex drives, you'll get the increased cache (the 30GB have the same amount of cache as larger sizes) as well as a higher multi on your I/O by striping the data twice over.

Quote:
I'd like to use a SSD (or multiple SSDs in a RAID) for my gaming disk. But next up is a 20TB fileserver, a solid backup solution is more important right now. btw, I won't be using SSDs for that
Yeah, I still have a HDD backup that runs outside the case. A 1TB. Keep my OS and games on the SSDs.

Anyhow, I'm still relatively new at this, so some of what I'm counting on may not happen as I think it will. But I've done some decent research and.. well, we'll see.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 07-09-09, 03:39 AM   #18
Revs

Well the new drive is pretty badass, really quick . Can't really get a propper impression as I only got W7 and a few drivers installed last night, but it boots and runs super fast and after using a RaptorX as my main drive for the last year or so it's nice not to have all the noise.

Pleased with the purchase so far, despite the cost.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote