Question Kernel 2.4.20-18.9 & NVIDIA 4363 Drivers

Hello All,
My system:
Red Hat 9
Kernel Version: 2.4.20-18.9
GCC Version: 3.2.220030222
NVIDIA Driver Version: 4363
Kernel 2.4.20-18.9 Sources Installed

I have tried several versions of installing the 4363 drivers. I have never had any problem installing these drivers on the 2.4.20-8 kernel. I have no idea as to why this new kernel seems to be an issue. I have been searching the forum and it seems that others are having this problem as well. I have reviewed my nvidia-installer.log file and it seems that this driver is not compatible with the new kernel. I have used --check and --extract-only options. I believe that the NVIDIA kernel interface layer can't build a custom kernel. Which in a sense wouldn't this be a bug? All of this is speculation. Nothing factual as of yet. I would like to see if Andy Mecham can give us a hand at what's going on here (thanks Andy!).
If I discover anything knew or can figure out what's going on for a fact then I will post asap.

Thanks,
David
DWebb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 05:11 PM   #2
quelx

Send a message via AIM to quelx

can you post your nvidia install log?
quelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 06:48 PM   #3
PorscheGTt

I am seeing the same problem with these drivers. Kernal 2.4.20-8, the install was flawless and impressive.

I upgrade to the current kernal 20-18.9 and try to install the drivers on a freshly formated system. The config file states while trying to install that it will need to configure my kernal manually... then goes on to state that it could not find a valid kernal installed to complete the installation of these drivers.

BTW... I tried looking for the nvidia install file but unable to locate it... If you could please direct to its location.

Thanks
PorscheGTt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-03, 12:49 PM   #4
DWebb82

Default Install File Location

PorscheGTt,
Do not just install the NVIDIA driver if you want to be able to access the install files. I usually copy my driver to the /tmp directory. And then in a Terminal or prompt do:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run --extract-only

By doing this, it will create a directory in the directory that the driver is in. Say if you saved or moved the driver install file to /tmp it would create a new directory inside of /tmp with the name of NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363 or something to that effect. I don't think you should be to concerned with this though. I have already done this in search of compiling an installer from source. But, NVIDIA hasn't taken any action to release a newer source package on their FTP/HTTP site. The latest version is the equivalent of the driver you are using. Therefore, if the driver failed to build a kernel from source then more than likely you may fail at building one as well. Not saying that you can't though.

As far as the 2.4.20-18.9 RedHat kernel goes...
I uninstalled the source and the kernel. It is likely to be a buggy kernel or the NVIDIA installer just can't seem to adapt for some reason to compile from source. The only way I see a NVIDIA driver for this kernel is when NVIDIA either releases new source or a new .run driver.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know as I have already exhausted all ideas.

Thanks,
David
DWebb82 is offline   Reply With Quote