Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-04-02, 04:59 PM   #1
jensa

Default Weird problem with RPM

Hi, Im a newbie to Linux and was trying to install the drivers for geforce2 mx.
When I was running the package (rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel.whatever.rpm) I received an error message at the end. (I dont really remember what kind of error it was but it couldnt insmod the nvidia driver.)
Anyway, here comes the weird part.....when I try to uninstal/erase the package (rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel.whatever) I get the reply that the package isnt installed. But when I try to install it again, Im told it is already installed. Now what is it??? Installed or not.
When I run rpm -q NVIDIA* , Im told none of the packages are installed....
Has anyone else been through this? Or is this normal? I was using the newest packages so the old bug Ive heard of shouldnt be the problem.....
Ill write another post about the error I got later...have to check it out again..
Old 09-04-02, 05:40 PM   #2
HeX

Lightbulb Root

You may want to either log in as root or issue command "su" (without quotes) and entering the root password to the command prompt before installing the rpm. I have had success installing the rpm, but when I rebooted, I was unable to get a GUI. I figured I might be able to help you while I'm looking for a solution myself.
Old 09-04-02, 05:46 PM   #3
jensa

I've been operating as root all along, so that shouldnt be the problem...I am, however thankfull for any help...

It turns out I installed the wrong kerneldriver ....shouldve used athlon....anyway everytime I try to install the athlon (and any other nvidia .rpm) I get the message that the file /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver is conflicting with a previsously installed package....
Unfortunately .... as I mentioned in the earlier post...I cant seem to uninstall the previous package....grrrrrr!!!

Does anyone have any idees?
Old 09-04-02, 06:10 PM   #4
jensa

Default Go tarballs

YYEEESSS!!!
Those tarballs really did the trick...they automatically removed the old and conflicting files adn installed the new ones.
I tried to start xwindow and, yupp theres the nvidia logo.

Feels great to finaly have it working!

I recommend : tar balls
Old 09-04-02, 09:06 PM   #5
utiel

Default rpm poblems...

To look where packages have installed

rpm -qa | grep NV*

/home/uti# rpm -qa | grep NV
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2960
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2960

To remove them

rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX NVIDIA_kernel

To install again, without removing

rpm -i NV*.rpm --force

To Update a new version

rpm -i NV*.rpm

To Update same version

rpm -U NV*.rpm --force

Installing NVidia drivers is not simply.

I always have to edit my XF86Config file!!! (only first time, for every distribution I try )
utiel is offline   Reply With Quote