Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-08-09, 03:40 AM   #1
Revs

Default Google to launch operating system

Quote:
Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.

Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at netbooks, the low-cost portable computers that have turned the PC world upside down.

Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," said the company in a blog.

The news could also be a blow to the open source Linux operating system, which had taken an early lead on netbooks, but then lost out to Microsoft's elderly Windows XP.

For Microsoft the news comes just months before it launches the latest version of its operating system, called Windows 7.

'Back to basics'

"We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds," said the blog post written by Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Google's engineering director Linus Upson.

Both men said that "the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web" and that this OS is "our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be".

To that end, the search giant said the new OS would go back to basics.

"We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates.

"It should just work," said Google.

Google already has an operating system for mobile phones called Android which can also be used to run on netbooks. Google Chrome OS will be aimed not just at laptops but also at desktops for those who spend a lot of time on the web.

"Truly competitive"

The announcement could dramatically change the market for operating systems, especially for Microsoft, the biggest player with around 90% share.

"This announcement is huge," said Rob Enderle, industry watcher and president of the Enderle Group.

"This is the first time we have had a truly competitive OS on the market in years. This is potentially disruptive and is the first real attempt by anyone to go after Microsoft.

"Google is coming at this fresh and, because it is based on a set of services that reside on the web, it is the first really post web operating system, designed from the ground up, and reconceived for a web world," Mr Enderle told the BBC.

Last year Google launched the Chrome browser, which it said was designed for "people who live on the web - searching for information, checking email, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends."

Stephen Shankland at CNET said the move had widespread implications.

"One is that it shows just how serious Google is about making the web into a foundation not just for static pages but for active applications, notably its own such as Google Docs and G-mail.

"Another: it opens new competition with Microsoft and, potentially, a new reason for anti-trust regulators to pay close attention to Google's moves."

Some commentators said Google's motivation in all this was pretty clear.

"One of Google's major goals is to take Microsoft out, to systematically destroy their hold on the market," said Mr Enderle.

"Google wants to eliminate Microsoft and it's a unique battle. The strategy is good. The big question is, will it work?"

At the popular blog, TechCrunch, MG Siegler said "Let's be clear on what this really is. This is Google dropping the mother of all bombs on its rival, Microsoft."

Microsoft releases Windows 7 later this year to replace Windows Vista and Windows XP which is eight years old.

The Redmond based company claims that 96% of netbooks run Windows to date.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 03:57 AM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Google to launch operating system

EDIT by ViN86:
Threads combined

EDIT by Revs:
Cheers ViN
Old 07-08-09, 04:40 AM   #3
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Yeah. I think this is the superior thread. Mouse and Keyboard control, better graphics, low res textures though...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:16 AM   #4
glObalist
working as intended

If this can somehow run windows apps, or if developers can somehow magically adapt quickly, I'm all for it.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 10:48 AM   #5
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Yeah. I think this is the superior thread. Mouse and Keyboard control, better graphics, low res textures though...
Yeah sorry about that Cringer, I'll try sort some HD piX0lz for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
If this can somehow run windows apps, or if developers can somehow magically adapt quickly, I'm all for it.
I see no reason to not want this on the market either. The more the better IMO, it can only be good for the consumer; maybe a bit more competition for MS?
Old 07-08-09, 11:53 AM   #6
a12ctic

Default Google OS Speculation

Who thinks that Chrome OS will be based heavily off Moblin?

Any other speculation? What do you guys think about google finally releasing a desktop OS?
Old 07-08-09, 12:21 PM   #7
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Google OS Speculation

i kinda hope not. i tried out Moblin and honestly, it felt like a child OS. no customization options... very stripped down...
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 04:25 PM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Lets be honest. Chrome is a nice light browser, if they bring the same concept across to an OS, then it would be the perfect gamer OS IF they can get the software support. On the other hand, Windows 7 has already proven itself to be a lot lighter than Vista (though not much faster for games much to Vista credit).
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-09, 07:20 PM   #9
hell_of_doom227

Google Browser = Google Apps = Utter Crap to be honest, and Google OS is going to be a crap as well. It's Linux based and it's
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 08:53 PM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
Well this is aimed at netbooks for the time being, so I don't really see the need for it (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
Google Browser = Google Apps = Utter Crap to be honest, and Google OS is going to be a crap as well. It's Linux based and it's
So just cause it's linux based it's bad? LOL contrary to popular belief, ignorance isn't bliss my friend.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:26 PM   #11
Zelda_fan

About a year ago I predicted this.

Basically, i'm the ****ing man.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:32 PM   #12
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
About a year ago I predicted this.

Basically, i'm the ****ing man.
So you're the top .05% of smarts too? God must have give you a thimble for a penis to make up for the smarts and the good looks.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote