Old 07-08-09, 10:41 PM   #13
bacon12

Default Re: Google to launch operating system

bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 11:42 PM   #14
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Zelda is a complete package guys. We should be honored he graces these forums with his presence. I will hear no more anti Zelda sentiments.

Translation to Bigman:

Zelda is a compliment pakage vim. We should be honned he gracses these furoms with his presents. I will listen no more to hear the anti Zelda sediments. shuvmens
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 07:34 AM   #15
hell_of_doom227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Well this is aimed at netbooks for the time being, so I don't really see the need for it (yet).

So just cause it's linux based it's bad? LOL contrary to popular belief, ignorance isn't bliss my friend.

Linux is an absolutely useless operating system for average Joe. Linux is where was it 20 years ago, nowhere. Google will be Linux based OS which means. No Gaming, limited Hardware Support, Web based Apps which means useless for dialup areas = FAILURE.
Google Desktop Search = Failure
Google Apps in general = Failure

They should stick with what they do the best and that's Search. I still preffer mapquest over google maps.

Todays is absolutely pointless to build new OS having OSX and Windows and so many distros of Linux around unless you're doing it from scratch. It took 20+ years for Microsoft to get where they are at so it's not gonna happen.

I also predict that JAVA will completely die. Last remnant of JAVA based apps will be on pocket devices only.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 07:44 AM   #16
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
Linux is an absolutely useless operating system for average Joe. Linux is where was it 20 years ago, nowhere. Google will be Linux based OS which means. No Gaming, limited Hardware Support, Web based Apps which means useless for dialup areas = FAILURE.

They should stick with what they do the best and that's Search. I still preffer mapquest over google maps.

Todays is absolutely pointless to build new OS having OSX and Windows and so many distros of Linux around unless you're doing it from scratch. It took 20+ years for Microsoft to get where they are at so it's not gonna happen.
I don't think Linux is useless, but I do agree that it not ready for the average Joe. Linux is for the hardcore geek and that's about it. I still have trouble sometimes messing around with it. But that's why we have Windows and OS X, simpler, better and easier to use.

Remember hell, we are talking about a netbook OS, not a desktop OS. Netbooks are for the simple web-based apps and office apps, nothing more. And while Google's OS may look great and may be based on Linux, I would expect a stable OS, especially coming from a company like Google.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 07:52 AM   #17
hell_of_doom227

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I don't think Linux is useless, but I do agree that it not ready for the average Joe. Linux is for the hardcore geek and that's about it. I still have trouble sometimes messing around with it. But that's why we have Windows and OS X, simpler, better and easier to use.

Remember hell, we are talking about a netbook OS, not a desktop OS. Netbooks are for the simple web-based apps and office apps, nothing more. And while Google's OS may look great and may be based on Linux, I would expect a stable OS, especially coming from a company like Google.

Web based app will be complete failure in Dial Up Areas. Outside of US, there are a lot more dial up areas then cable areas. Linux is good for server environment, desktop not so much. Btw since Google OS is just another Linux distribution but it got that Google sticker on it, reminds me of Obama syndrom. When Obama becomes a president we will be all rich
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 08:11 AM   #18
Revs

Good news everyone..

Quote:
Hardware makers support Google OS

Google has announced which hardware firms have pledged to build machines that will run its Chrome OS.

The search giant said it was working with many firms on Chrome OS hardware including Acer, Asus, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, and Toshiba.

The software is designed to work with the web and Google said it was most likely to appear on smaller portable computers known as netbooks.

The browser-based operating system will be released to the public in 2010.

Web futures

In a blog post announcing the hardware partners, Google said that the code for the Chrome OS would be open sourced in late 2009. Google said that the software will be free to download and use.

The first netbooks that can run the software will be ready in late 2010. Since Asus launched the first netbook the cut-down computers have proved hugely popular.

Analyst firm Gartner predicts that 80% more netbooks will be sold in 2009 than sold in 2008. However, so far, the small computers only make up 8% of the total PC market.

The Chrome OS will be designed to work with Intel chips that appear in the vast majority of desktop PCs, laptops and netbooks as well as the Arm chips that power most of the world's mobile phones. Texas Instruments and Qualcomm, who both build devices based around Arm chips, were also unveiled as partners on the Chrome OS project.

In a blog post announcing some of the hardware partners, Google also said it was working with Adobe on the operating system. This could turn out to be significant because of the wide use of Adobe's Flash software.

Flash is used to power many multimedia websites but Adobe has been working hard to extend its capabilities via the Air technology and make it more web-centric too. Microsoft is developing its Silverlight technology to do a similar job.
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8141964.stm
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 08:41 AM   #19
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post

I also predict that JAVA will completely die. Last remnant of JAVA based apps will be on pocket devices only.
Maybe you should re-read the OP. Here, let me quote it and give you the important points in bold:

Quote:
Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.

Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at netbooks, the low-cost portable computers that have turned the PC world upside down.

Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," said the company in a blog.
AIMED INITIALLY AT NETBOOKS. Since when are you gaming on a netbook? According to the article, we won't see an OS from Google aimed at the desktop for years.

Say whatever you want, but Google is an amazing company and I wish them the best.

Furthermore, I don't understand why people continue to want a monopoly in the OS market... MS makes ok products but they are by no means the absolute best and there is always room for improvement.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 09:22 AM   #20
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i like linux. people who say it sucks havent gotten past their Windows Withdrawls.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-09, 09:26 AM   #21
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
i like linux. people who say it sucks havent gotten past their Windows Withdrawls.
Typically people who say it sucks have never even used it. Or they installed it once and then found they didn't know how to do anything so they said "0h 7h15 suX0rZ!!!" instead of actually attempting to learn something.
Old 07-09-09, 09:29 AM   #22
zoomy942

Quote:
Typically people who say it sucks have never even used it. Or they installed it once and then found they didn't know how to do anything so they said "0h 7h15 suX0rZ!!!" instead of actually attempting to learn something.
agreed. I am not a windows hater at all. just prefer something else. you are totally right. you dont interact with Linux like you do with windows so automatically it has to be tha sUx!
Old 07-09-09, 09:32 AM   #23
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
agreed. I am not a windows hater at all. just prefer something else. you are totally right. you dont interact with Linux like you do with windows so automatically it has to be tha sUx!
When I first used Linux I was like "WTF I CANT DO ANYTHING!" haha. Then I started learning about unix commands, and started talking to people on IRC and eventually, I got the thing working great.

I also installed Quake 3 and RTCW (this was about 6 years ago now lol) and I found that the games actually ran better on Linux than Windows

This was all with an ATI video card too. Omg talk about a nightmare haha.
Old 07-09-09, 09:37 AM   #24
zoomy942

Quote:
When I first used Linux I was like "WTF I CANT DO ANYTHING!" haha. Then I started learning about unix commands, and started talking to people on IRC and eventually, I got the thing working great.

I also installed Quake 3 and RTCW (this was about 6 years ago now lol) and I found that the games actually ran better on Linux than Windows

This was all with an ATI video card too. Omg talk about a nightmare haha.
haha. yeah, old linux was a mess. newer revisions keep getting better. Fedora 11 is beautiful and ubuntu 9.04 is very well done. Now Moblin, that Intel distro, while still in beta felt like a toy. It was just too limited and felt like i had taken a PC from toys R Us and started using it.