Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-09, 09:26 AM   #1
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Top 5 things you'd love to see in Windows 7

So I know alot of you have gotten to try Windows 7..... I have already and although it seems great... I'm really dissapointed that they didnt' add some simple things that should have been there all along.

1. Virtual Drive mounting .... why isn't this included? it's super useful... I like to create .iso images of all my games so that I can load them without farting around with finding CDs.... yes they're legit cds too.

2. Native .rar support. Come on now... you all have to admit that it's horribly inconvenient to grab a seperate program (winrar) to open up .rar files... the built in unzipper is a joke these days.

3. Virtual Desktops - Anyone that uses a linux system knows how valuable these are... I know there's mods out there to do that to your windows desktop but FFS build it in.

4. Built in SSH and SFTP support - Once again, linux users know how frustrating it is to go from a linux shell to a windows one and have to get putty / psftp to be able to do things that are built into free operating systems... (Yes, they're both free too... but why can't Microsoft create it's own implementation)

5. The top 4 things would make me very happy..... I know I'm dreaming but a built in virtual machine software would be pro... just simply amazing

Really though, seperate programs exist for everything I mentioned (mostly free)... even if they're not with Microsoft's wallet you could either design your own or gobble up the smaller companies and integrate it in....

They made a step in the right direction with the inclusion of being able to burn .iso images. But it won't let me do some... seems to only work on cd iso images right now.
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 09:41 AM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Top 5 things you'd love to see in Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
So I know alot of you have gotten to try Windows 7..... I have already and although it seems great... I'm really dissapointed that they didnt' add some simple things that should have been there all along.

1. Virtual Drive mounting .... why isn't this included? it's super useful... I like to create .iso images of all my games so that I can load them without farting around with finding CDs.... yes they're legit cds too.

2. Native .rar support. Come on now... you all have to admit that it's horribly inconvenient to grab a seperate program (winrar) to open up .rar files... the built in unzipper is a joke these days.

3. Virtual Desktops - Anyone that uses a linux system knows how valuable these are... I know there's mods out there to do that to your windows desktop but FFS build it in.

4. Built in SSH and SFTP support - Once again, linux users know how frustrating it is to go from a linux shell to a windows one and have to get putty / psftp to be able to do things that are built into free operating systems... (Yes, they're both free too... but why can't Microsoft create it's own implementation)

5. The top 4 things would make me very happy..... I know I'm dreaming but a built in virtual machine software would be pro... just simply amazing

Really though, seperate programs exist for everything I mentioned (mostly free)... even if they're not with Microsoft's wallet you could either design your own or gobble up the smaller companies and integrate it in....

They made a step in the right direction with the inclusion of being able to burn .iso images. But it won't let me do some... seems to only work on cd iso images right now.
I don't understand why you are complaining about these things when they are all free programs and they work perfectly. Most of these things have builtin menus that you can access if you right-click (WinRAR, PowerISO (not free), D-Tools, etc.).

The only benefit of these things being included is saving the 5 minutes it takes to install these tools.

And you can rip your game CD's and mount them. The problem is you have to circumvent the disc protection. It's possible, but it violates the DMCA and can't be discussed here.

And LOL @ your last few sentences. Yea MS buying up these companies would really help their constant legal troubles with anti-trust and monopoly lawsuits.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 02:52 PM   #3
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I'd love to double-click on an ISO and mount it. That would be awesome in Windows.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 03:21 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Honestly, it would be just another thing to sue Microsoft about.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 04:04 PM   #5
Xophile

six:storm
Many apps can do that today, even D-tools free. Or you can try Daemount.
Xophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 04:15 PM   #6
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

synaptics package manager?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 04:29 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Honestly, it would be just another thing to sue Microsoft about.
yap, few more years and they will sue them about notepad and wordpad.
Old 07-10-09, 05:11 PM   #8
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I agree with #1 and #2... alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-09, 05:12 PM   #9
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Yeh vin, of course you can use other programs to do these things... why though when you're already paying a microsoft alot of money for the operating system.

seriously think of the amount of money you'e paid for your various windows installs over the years, and they're ALL lacking, i'm talking about making windows a product people WANT to buy and aren't backed into buying because it's the only decent gaming platform... why can't it be good and 'required'.... it's only just required for most ****.

also, on copy protection. there is nothing illegal about ripping and mounting YOUR OWN image files that you have bought. it's illegal to sell and redistribute but seriously. I have another hard drive with all my game cds so taht when I frequently reinstall I can have them all ready without having to go searching.... now wouldn't that be useful if everytime i had to reinstall windows i didn't have to install something like alcohol 120.... which doesn't work in windows 7 yet that I know of.

you see my point? for someone who does alot of reinstalls, these 'small' apps are still a huge pain in the ass because of the fact that everyone needs them.
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 05:15 PM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Yeh vin, of course you can use other programs to do these things... why though when you're already paying a microsoft alot of money for the operating system.
Sure, but the tools are free....

Quote:
seriously think of the amount of money you'e paid for your various windows installs over the years, and they're ALL lacking, i'm talking about making windows a product people WANT to buy and aren't backed into buying because it's the only decent gaming platform... why can't it be good and 'required'.... it's only just required for most ****.
Because MS would be assraped by anti-trust and monopoly lawsuits...

Quote:
also, on copy protection. there is nothing illegal about ripping and mounting YOUR OWN image files that you have bought. it's illegal to sell and redistribute but seriously. I have another hard drive with all my game cds so taht when I frequently reinstall I can have them all ready without having to go searching.... now wouldn't that be useful if everytime i had to reinstall windows i didn't have to install something like alcohol 120.... which doesn't work in windows 7 yet that I know of.
Wrong. Circumventing any protection is a violation of the DMCA. It doesn't matter if you own it or not. (which is strange, but that's the law lol)

Quote:
you see my point? for someone who does alot of reinstalls, these 'small' apps are still a huge pain in the ass because of the fact that everyone needs them.
Sorry, I don't really see the 5 min to install them as a huge PITA...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 05:26 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

you see my point?.
nope
Old 07-10-09, 08:03 PM   #12
XDanger
Whaaat?

1: Full Multi Monitor Support
2: Dual Mouse Support
3: A "Compatibility Mode" that works
4: A boot option on the same install allowing a stripped down version to load, Maybe boot option for media/games/internet/everything
5: Tree fiddy