Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-11, 10:44 PM   #217
MaXThReAT
Registered User
 
MaXThReAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: EARTH
Posts: 1,861
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Well I've had my go at this game, about 23 hours in, Lvl. 30, Chapter 8, 65 quests completed. After watching some of the videos of the game I didn't think I was going to like it much but I had high hopes for it and despite it's few flaws and lack of PCizem I've enjoyed it very much.

Could it have been better, no doubt in my mind. Just a few things that would have made it GOTY.
*Physics- PC physics...Trees, wood, walls, chairs, plants, debris. Can you imagine taking out foliage while hacking down zombies in the jungle. It would have been epic awesome.
*Puzzles- Nothing fancy anything would do; push this, pull that, use these, cut this, crank that. It would have helped the repetitiveness a lot!
*Graphics- Sure, it's not even near the bar for PC games; options, textures, FX bling but it didn't distract too much at all. The epic size and care given to each area looked good enough. I haven't modded the game and liked the default look and FOV is fine on my 4:5. I've had no micro studders either. 2048x1536 30fps min.

Why I still can't stop playing despite it's few flaws.
*Killing zombies with these weapons is down right fun. It in fact reminds me a bit of Dark Messiah combat once you get the hang of it and have to start using dodge all the time.
*Diversity- After I made it to the jungle and started missions in the slums gameplay took on a different level. Sometimes I had to run, others I stayed to fight as well as using rooftops. I had to throw more and use range weapons like bombs or Molotov's.
*Free Range- At one point I was getting worked bad in the slums, I needed money and things for mods. So I traveled back to the resort, beaches and hotel. I quickly added up $15k and all the weapons I needed. I found a few more side quests and leveled up a few times while I was walking around too.

I don't know how many chapters there are but so far I would stay I've got my moneys worth. Sure it could have better...way better but not a bad game at all.
I do however hope to see texture mods and major overhauls of the zombie leveling system.
__________________
Gigabyte V1.1 EP45-UD3R F5
GO-Q6600@3.6GHz 1/2" D5/GTZ Block W/BIX-II Dual 120mm
Corsair 4GB Dominator DDR2-8500 5-5-5-15 2t@1066GHz
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 05:38 AM   #218
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXThReAT View Post
Well I've had my go at this game, about 23 hours in, Lvl. 30, Chapter 8, 65 quests completed. After watching some of the videos of the game I didn't think I was going to like it much but I had high hopes for it and despite it's few flaws and lack of PCizem I've enjoyed it very much.

Could it have been better, no doubt in my mind. Just a few things that would have made it GOTY.
*Physics- PC physics...Trees, wood, walls, chairs, plants, debris. Can you imagine taking out foliage while hacking down zombies in the jungle. It would have been epic awesome.
*Puzzles- Nothing fancy anything would do; push this, pull that, use these, cut this, crank that. It would have helped the repetitiveness a lot!
*Graphics- Sure, it's not even near the bar for PC games; options, textures, FX bling but it didn't distract too much at all. The epic size and care given to each area looked good enough. I haven't modded the game and liked the default look and FOV is fine on my 4:5. I've had no micro studders either. 2048x1536 30fps min.

Why I still can't stop playing despite it's few flaws.
*Killing zombies with these weapons is down right fun. It in fact reminds me a bit of Dark Messiah combat once you get the hang of it and have to start using dodge all the time.
*Diversity- After I made it to the jungle and started missions in the slums gameplay took on a different level. Sometimes I had to run, others I stayed to fight as well as using rooftops. I had to throw more and use range weapons like bombs or Molotov's.
*Free Range- At one point I was getting worked bad in the slums, I needed money and things for mods. So I traveled back to the resort, beaches and hotel. I quickly added up $15k and all the weapons I needed. I found a few more side quests and leveled up a few times while I was walking around too.

I don't know how many chapters there are but so far I would stay I've got my moneys worth. Sure it could have better...way better but not a bad game at all.
I do however hope to see texture mods and major overhauls of the zombie leveling system.
Perfect description of my experience with this game as well. On my second play through now with everything I gained from the first one.

I love the combat. Especially the fact that sometimes I do have to run, pick my battles and use whatever is available - rooftops, the tops of vans, cars etc....it all adds up to some very addictive mayhem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:26 AM   #219
Ywap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 627
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Dead Island Ships Over 2M Copies!

Well deserved

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62...Over-2M-Copies
__________________
i7 2600k - Msi P67A-GD55 - Noctua NH-D14 - 8gb Corsair 1600mhz - Gigabyte GTX 580 - Corsair 600t - Corsair TX 850w - Windows 7 64-bit
Ywap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:28 AM   #220
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
Dead Island Ships Over 2M Copies!

Well deserved

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62...Over-2M-Copies
Oh Sweet! Hopefully that gives the devs good incentive to fix and mod etc etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:32 AM   #221
Ywap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 627
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Oh Sweet! Hopefully that gives the devs good incentive to fix and mod etc etc.
Yepp, and donīt forget a possible sequel
__________________
i7 2600k - Msi P67A-GD55 - Noctua NH-D14 - 8gb Corsair 1600mhz - Gigabyte GTX 580 - Corsair 600t - Corsair TX 850w - Windows 7 64-bit
Ywap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:59 AM   #222
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
Yepp, and donīt forget a possible sequel
I'd buy it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 11:02 PM   #223
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Funny moment tonight while playing with my girl and a friend.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:55 AM   #224
ahheadlock
Registered User
 
ahheadlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Australia
Posts: 360
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
It doesn't make a difference though. The bad guys just level up with you. I would much rather it had a system like Fallout's or STALKER. You get stronger, unlock skills etc and tougher enemies are encountered as levels progress.

This game just levels the enemies up with you across the entire game world. You get better weapons/mods etc, but in the end the battles play out much the same.
this is my gripe with it too. especially with the respawning enemies. Sick of having the crap kicked out of me by the same enemies every time i walk through certain areas. Eg. the sewers. oh how i hate the sewers.
ahheadlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-11, 06:37 AM   #225
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Funny moment tonight while playing with my girl and a friend.

And that's with a map!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock View Post
this is my gripe with it too. especially with the respawning enemies. Sick of having the crap kicked out of me by the same enemies every time i walk through certain areas. Eg. the sewers. oh how i hate the sewers.
I have to admit I don't mind the sewers like some do, but some of the newer attacks after leveling up catch me off guard sometimes. I'm at level 39 right now on the second play through and I swear some of the zombies are using more advanced weapons now.

I have no idea what kind of blade this one little guy had, because I got dead real quick but he sliced and diced me so fast I wasn't sure what happened.

Getting my moneys worth for sure out of this game. That's all I ask.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:28 PM   #226
Rummy
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

If you got Zed's Demise in the prison you should have nothing to worry about.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 04:27 AM   #227
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
If you got Zed's Demise in the prison you should have nothing to worry about.
Isn't that after you can't get leave the prison? I missed it last time around.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 08:09 PM   #228
Rummy
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Isn't that after you can't get leave the prison? I missed it last time around.
It's a side quest in the prison.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ1998 - 2014, nV News.