Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-11, 11:02 AM   #97
|MaguS|

Default Re: Dead Island still alive!

Patch released which looks to fix online issues like not being able to invite through steam and join friends easily.
Old 09-06-11, 12:12 PM   #98
Killroy X

I'm downloading from Amazon as I type this. Had high hopes for this game, hope the patch resolves most issues I'm hearing about.
320 Western Digital Caviar
eVGA MB 780i
Corsair 750TX
Antec 900 Case
Samsung Syncmaster 206BW
Asus VE247H LED
Windows 7 64 bit
Killroy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 12:42 PM   #99
mojoman0

the patch wasnt the final fix. They posted that the final version of the game should be released later today haha

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2102313
some guy on steam forums thoughts:
Quote:
So, someone at Techland accidentally (Or intentionally) released a build of the game on Steam, that seems to be the wrong one.

Now, some have called it a dev build, or an xbox 360 dev build.

Well... That is partly true.

The version that was released on Steam, was the build sent to Microsoft to get approved for the Xbox 360.

As some people have already had a suspicion about from some of the game files, saying "Xbox Live Submission Project Version".

Which is exactly what it is.

Now, most people would realize that a build made for the Xbox 360 wouldn't not run on a PC.

And it won't. It's not possible. However, (and this is where I kill the dream of the PC version being developed seperately), all platforms run partially the same code.

They're not developed 'seperately' as Techland has claimed. What they mean is, that it's not a direct console port. A console port is when a game has been made strictly for a console, then later rewritten to run on a PC.

This is not the case with Dead Island (And all other non-ports).

It's not seperate projects for each platform. It's all the same code, with some alterations.

When developing a game, programmers write code (In this case C++). This is "converted" (compiled) into machine code, which is then executed by the CPU.

Now, some things like graphics rendering has to be done differently on each platform. This doesn't require a "seperate game". A programmer can designate to the compiler (Actually, the pre-compiler), what should be compiled in specific instances for Xbox, PC, etc.

At some time during development, they've been required to send a submission of the game to Microsoft, for approval for the Xbox 360.

For this, they've copied all the code, and made a seperate project, to make it easy.

This still works like above. When compiling (on PC, making an the .exe), they tell the compiler to built against the Xbox 360, and by so, the compiler will compile all the code that's been "designated" to be compiled for the Xbox 360.

It's then sent to Microsoft for validation.

Now, for the PC release, someone at Techland, has accidentally (or intentionally) opened up the xbox 360 submission project, informed the compiler to build all the code that's made for the PC, and then released that on Steam.

Which is why the Xbox 360 Submission project works on the PC... Because it was built for the PC.

Now... The patch...

What did it do? Did it fix all the issues? Did it remove all the developer keys?

No... The apostrophe key is still enabled, and every other glitch and bug is still present.

Here's what the patch is all about: The patch was not meant to fix a damn thing.

The patch was meant to get rid of all the debug information, and other stuff that could potentionally aid crackers or cheat creators, etc.

It's the same build, and the removed noclip and 3rd person toggle keys, are just a cover-up, to make it look like a patch meant to fix issues.

What's happening now, is that Techland is working on finding (lol?) and rebuilding the real project against the PC, and not the submission project for the Xbox 360.

Hope that cleared things up.
Btw, this is where the compiler outputted the build:

Quote:
C:\AUTOBUILD_PERFORCE\di\releases\di_submission_xb ox\bin\obj\x86\vs2008\ReleaseWithDebugInfo

It's surprising that they were able to oversee that they where building their di_submission_xbox project
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 12:55 PM   #100
Rummy

Played with Magus and Mr Hunt last night for 6 hours and had a blast.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 01:03 PM   #101
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yeah... game REALLY grew on me after I played with Rummy for so long.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 01:12 PM   #102
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy X View Post
I'm downloading from Amazon as I type this. Had high hopes for this game, hope the patch resolves most issues I'm hearing about.
Whats the point of downloading from Amazon when its a Steamworks game, all you need is the key that Amazon provides you and register it with Steam.
Old 09-06-11, 01:13 PM   #103
grey_1

Work gets in the way of mah playing.

Will try for tonight, but you guys must be 2/3 through the game already.
Old 09-06-11, 01:15 PM   #104
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
the patch wasnt the final fix. They posted that the final version of the game should be released later today haha

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2102313
some guy on steam forums thoughts:
Hes wrong, its not the same build since you can see an instant difference in the online menu... You now have options for private slots and vac security.

Old 09-06-11, 01:26 PM   #105
LurkerLito

Yeah they released the patch and if you played it last night, all your items are gone. It's expecting you to restart the game. From the steam forums it looks as if some level 14 people got sent back to level 8.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 01:46 PM   #106
lee63
Classified

Can someone post some pics please.
Old 09-06-11, 02:18 PM   #107
grey_1

Awesome - the patch killed the game for me.

I get a message saying the dlc I got for pre-purchasing is corrupt, can't use.

I can't bind any keys, none. Selecting anything leaves me with a blank key field that won't accept any key on the keyboard, it just stays blank.

Character won't even move, even using default bindings.

Great start.
Old 09-06-11, 02:56 PM   #108
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yup. The patch broke more than it fixed. I had good performance last night... now it stutters constantly. Add in the fact that I lost about 6 hours of playtime... I was on Act 2 and now I gotta restart. Was still level 17, though. And I have all of my blueprints, still. But this is freaking retarded.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote