Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-17-09, 09:26 AM   #1
rusjkit

Default Can't open old email file on new Vista machine

I have just upgraded to a new PC running Vista Home Premium 64 bit from an XP Professional one. I am using the old HDD as an external drive to transfer as much as I want to the new machine but I can't read my mail files which all have the .DBX extension. It is on my new machine but I can't open any of the files and I have a lot of info I want to access. I was using Outlook Express and of course the new program is Windows Mail. Maybe I need some program to actually transfer the files in a different way as all I did was connect the external drive and used the "Send to " option on the drop down menu.
It worked for everything else but now I am stumped.
Any advice much appreciated.
G
rusjkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 09:39 AM   #2
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Default Re: Can't open old email file on new Vista machine

It appears that you're not alone with this problem:

http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Im...pict41070.html

If you still have a problem, I would try using a non-Windows email app.
Rig 1: HAF 922, X2 4400+, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe , 4x1GB DDR400, 2x500GB, 1x80GB & 1x250GB + ESATCASE2 w/2x1TB HDs, LG CH10LS20 & GH22LS50, Samsung SH-S202N, Asus Xonar D2X,Creative 5.1, GTX460 SC, FusionHDTV7 Gold RT, Acer X233H, Arris TM520G, Cisco E3000, Scythe Kama, CM RS600 PS,HP 5510v,APC BX1000, XP x64, W7 & Kubuntu 9.10

Rig 2: Antec SX1040BII, A8N-SLI, 2x1GB DDR400, 8800GTS, 1x500GB & 1x1TB HDs, Liteon LH-20AIL and Pioneer DVR-111, Audigy 2 ZS, Creative T20 2.1, Antec 500SP, W7 x64 & XP MCE
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 11:11 AM   #3
ViN86

Default Re: Can't open old email file on new Vista machine

Quote:
1. Create a directory under the current user's Documents, such as Documents\OEMail. This directory needs to be within the user's space, such as under Documents, in order to prevent possible access permissions problems.
2. Copy all the dbx files from one Outlook Express Identity into this directory, ensuring that folders.dbx is included.
3. Go to Edit | Select all in Windows Explorer and select all the dbx files. Then right click on the selection and choose Properties and ensure that the read only attribute of the files is unchecked.
4. In Windows Mail go to File | Import Messages and choose Outlook Express 6 format and choose to import from a directory.
5. Then use the Browse button to browse to the directory of dbx files. Make sure that when you set the directory that what is listed in the path is correct (NOTE: Vista can put the wrong path in here sometimes, so instead of c:\mypath it puts c:\mypath\mypath, so check the path to verify that it is correct, and if it is not correct then fix it by clicking the Browse button a second time and then leave the selection blank and clicking Okay.).
6. Then select the files from which you wish to import messages and click Import.
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/email/i...sta-86458.html
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote