Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-19-09, 09:16 PM   #1
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck
Default Random PC Blackouts

Not sure if blackout is the correct term for it, so I will describe my problem. I sometimes get this problem where my monitor screen with shut off yet my PC is still running. I cannot tell if it is unresponsive since I cannot see anything plus its on my laptop so I cant actually tell if the power to the monitor is cut. I had this happen on Vista a few times and now it happens very frequently while playing Fallout 3 under Win7. I thought it might have been from overheating since I know my laptop does get quite warm, but I do not think that is the cause. Looking at the event logs I get this:

Quote:
The description for Event ID 1 from source Bonjour Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

mDNSResponder started

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file
I had thought Bonjour was an Apple product but I guess it is on any Windows system. I have not installed any Apple products yet I have the Bonjour folder on my PC. I did not find any service for this. Am going to try installing Bonjour now and see what happens. Anybody else encounter this?
Bigbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 08:49 AM   #2
Bigbuck

Default Re: Random PC Blackouts

Seems that Adobe programs also install Bonjour even if you don't install the program that uses it. I completely deleted it from my system and also took care of another error that was complaining about my Intel drivers. I uninstalled them and let Windows install the files needed and will leave it at that. I'm not getting any more errors in the event viewer but I still get the blackouts. I have no clue what the hell is going on .
Old 05-20-09, 09:55 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

when screen goes black does it eventually come back? or stays off?
Old 05-20-09, 10:02 AM   #4
Bigbuck

It stays off. I can't ctrl-alt-delete or anything. Only thing I can do is hold the power button down to shut it off.
Old 05-20-09, 10:08 AM   #5
Logical

Sounds like a defective monitor on your laptop.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 10:31 AM   #6
Bigbuck

If it was defective wouldn't happening more frequently? It's only happened when I've been playing games. While doing anything else it's never occurred. Anyway I can test this myself?
Old 05-24-09, 10:04 AM   #7
Bigbuck

I tested the back light on the monitor to make sure that wasn't failing and it wasn't yet I still had the blackouts. I am pretty sure I figured out the problem as I didn't have any blackouts all day yesterday. It seems the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service did something every time it ran that caused it. I disabled it and like I said I haven't had the issue yet.
Old 06-01-09, 08:55 AM   #8
thehandi

Bigbuck, I have an almost identical problem which only happens if I attempt to change my resolution through NvCpl. Besides rebooting, the only solution i've found is hitting WinKey+L, typing in another windows account, and logging off.
thehandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-09, 10:49 AM   #9
Bigbuck

I will try that next time. I just did a fresh install of Win7 7137 x64 and haven't tried gaming yet. I also changed my drivers to Dox's modified 185.85's. I haven't tweaked this install to my liking yet so don't know if it will happen again.
Old 07-12-09, 01:51 PM   #10
Bigbuck

Well after giving up on fixing this issue it finally pissed me off enough again yesterday to try and fix it. I have another lead and would like some opinions before I start messing with stuff. It seems that for some reason by GPU temp will spike to 255 which triggers it to shutoff causing the blackout. I have had the GPU to 104 and could not get it to spike, but when the temperatures are that high and it tries to change the clocks, thats when the spike to 255 degrees happens. I don't know if Powermizer has anything to do with that or I should just disable the temperature monitoring for the card. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-09, 03:04 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuck View Post
Well after giving up on fixing this issue it finally pissed me off enough again yesterday to try and fix it. I have another lead and would like some opinions before I start messing with stuff. It seems that for some reason by GPU temp will spike to 255 which triggers it to shutoff causing the blackout. I have had the GPU to 104 and could not get it to spike, but when the temperatures are that high and it tries to change the clocks, thats when the spike to 255 degrees happens. I don't know if Powermizer has anything to do with that or I should just disable the temperature monitoring for the card. Any thoughts?

Video card temps are displayed in Celsius, at 255c it would probably melt

where did you see that spike?
Old 07-12-09, 03:34 PM   #12
Bigbuck

Thats the last logged temperature according to GPUz. I'm assuming its a bug/glitch somewhere that is triggering it to send the wrong temp as there is no way it gets that hot.

I disabled Powermizer and the reg entries for slowdowns. Would that disable the slowdown threshold? If not, is there a way to change or disable it?
Code:
;Powermizer settings
HKR,, PowerMizerDefault,             %REG_DWORD%,    3
HKR,, PowerMizerEnable,              %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, PowerMizerLevel,               %REG_DWORD%,    3
HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC,             %REG_DWORD%,   1
HKR,, PowerSaverHsyncOn,             %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, EnableCoreSlowdown,            %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, EnableMClkSlowdown,            %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, EnableNVClkSlowdown,           %REG_DWORD%,    0
I am going to try with TMM disabled now and see if that makes a difference.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...mm.html?filter[11]=Performance%20Maintenance