Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-07, 11:12 AM   #1
Starbuck

Default EA Account Registration

I'm more than a little pissed at EA and their account policies. Maybe someone could give me some advice on how to deal with this situation.

I have sold two copies of games that require registration on EA's servers to play (CD Keys). I bought the original games retail and have just outgrown them so I sold them to another party. I've done this in that past with other games and they have always allowed me to go through a process of unregistering the CD key so that the new party can play on their system. EA is giving me the run around saying that you can only register a game once and only to the original account. They give me no options.

I am not attlempting to run multiple copies of the game or do anything illegal or unethical, I just want to take my property and transfer it to a second party, legally.

Has anyone dealth with this and how do you go about it. Also, if the only possibility is to give my registered account to the new party, would doing so leave me vulnerable to any fraud, etc. financially? Thanks.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 12:11 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: EA Account Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck

I just want to take my property and transfer it to a second party, legally.
don't wanna sound like an ass, but software is NEVER your propety. you basically pay for the right to use it, you never own the actuall software.

i'm sure your account/cd-key situation is mentioned in EULA. I know that pretty much no one reads it (i don't).
Old 04-02-07, 01:00 PM   #3
Starbuck

It seems that EA is gouging their customers in that event. I had the same thing happen with Half-Life 2 and they had a legitimate protocol to transfer the rights, slight hassle but at least they allowed me to do it.

If EA want's to control pirating, then so be it, but I won't be purchasing any more software from them under this policy. The games I sold still have value to others- just not me any more, so considering it as disposable is just ridiculous and greedy in my opinion. In all reality, how difficult is it for them to push the delete key in a database and release my Key to the new owner? I know of plenty of persons who don't buy first release games and mainly purchse pre-played ones, and this is a thriving market, which is part of the foundations of our gaming community.
Old 04-02-07, 01:13 PM   #4
hirantha
SUC SUDO

dont buy EA games.. is Crysis EA? if so in that case you can make one exception

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 09:00 PM   #5
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I know of plenty of persons who don't buy first release games and mainly purchse pre-played ones, and this is a thriving market, which is part of the foundations of our gaming community.
I know that it sucks, but you have to look at this from their perspective. They get absolutely nothing from pre-played game sales, especially if its done privately (one gamer to another).

I thought I read something recently about the large gaming stores being asked to stop pre-played game sales since it destroys the market. When 50% of the people who buy a game sell it back to the store, thats a huge number of items that other people will buy that the developer and publisher get absolutely nothing out of.

Its no wonder they don't support it. Its also no big surprise that EA is the one putting their foot down.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 09:46 PM   #6
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirantha
dont buy EA games.. is Crysis EA? if so in that case you can make one exception
QFT. EA sucks.
Old 04-02-07, 10:09 PM   #7
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

EA are such a pain. I really cannot understand them sometimes. For example, I recently sent them an email asking if I could install EA Link on my gfs PC so she could play The Sims 2 I bought over EA Link. They sent an email back saying it was fine and upto 3 PCs could use the same EA Link account at the same time and even included instructions on how to transfer the cache between PCs to save redownloading... I imagined them saying I'd have to buy a second copy and setup a second Link account.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 10:12 PM   #8
agentkay

I always create a new account for each game and sell the whole account to the new owner. All they need to do is change the email address and PW and they are good to go. Why bother with a third party and ask them for mercy when there are quite simple work-arounds.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-07, 10:21 AM   #9
Starbuck

Thanks, AgentKay, that's good advice that I will follow from now on. Do you know of any way to separate two games that are currently tied to one account? I sold two games to two separate indiviudals and both of these games was registerd to my one account. Hindsight is now 20-20, but any workaround for my current situation? Thanks again.
Old 04-03-07, 04:55 PM   #10
agentkay

I donīt think itīs possible to seperate two games from the same account but you could try to change email address or create a new one for one of the games and see if it will work. You could ask support to reset the account because you have lost the PW and donīt use the email address anymore (preferable the older game of the two) but I doubt they will help. I donīt know what else could be done.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 11:39 PM   #11
andrewbrott

I've had the same problems. Accidentally registered a booster pack for Battlefield 2 under my profile instead of my sons. Simply wanted them to deactivate it so I could register. I moved the CD copy to his machine and wanted to add the downloaded booster packs. Wanted to use the complete collection that was downloaded on my system. No go.

I registered the complete collection under my profile. Guess what, they deactivated that by mistake.

We want to have matching setups so we can play each other.

This is the worst game registration process I have ever scene and the worst customer service of any company I have ever worked with in 24 years of computer experience.

Most of the time, they are giving me the run-around and I can tell they are not truly reading my responses on my support thread question. Plus, I have to have 2 online ID's according to them and I have no idea why. What's even worse is that their wonderful download manager causes systems errors and will not recognize any profile or ID to activate at all!!! had to manually activate what I could finally get to run.

We may or may not get this to work, but I will never buy another game from EA.
andrewbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 04:14 AM   #12
j0j081

lol.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote