Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-09, 11:26 AM   #1
pataphysician

Default 8300 IGP and high screen resolution causes crashes

I have and 8300 IGP motherboard, which has been working pretty good since 180.29 release, I'm now using 180.51

But I just bought a new LCD monitor that does 1920 x 1200, everything worked except now I get intermittent video weirdness (for example: Gnome window theme will suddenly disappear and goes to some sort of default appearance) all the way to total lockups of the screen where alt+backspace or Ctrl+Alt+F1 wouldn't work. I had noticed a similar problem earlier with this card under the older drivers, pre 180.29, which happened if I put my CRT at 1600 x 1200 mode, I didn't really pay too much attention then, as there were other problems with these drivers and 1600 x 1200 wasn't really a useful resolution for me on this CRT. I've been using 1280 x 1024 on a my old LCD monitor until I bought this new monitor.

So everything will be fine say in 1280 x 1024, but anything much higher and weirdness and crashes ensue and this happens on either DB15 or DVI hookup, I haven't tried HDMI though.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, and the problem seems to be only in Gnome. I also run KDE 4.2 and XFCE 4 and these seem fine. I've been running in KDE now for a week and have only had one lockup, which might be unrelated to the 8300, under Gnome I would lockup several times a day.
Also under Gnome, I never run compiz.

Any ideas what the problem might be, other than a driver problem? If no one has any ideas on what else could be causing this then I will try and submit a bug report for the driver.
pataphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 09:35 PM   #2
pataphysician

Default Re: 8300 IGP and high screen resolution causes crashes

I guess I'll get the info for a bug report, since no one has any other ideas. I got Gnome to be stable in 1920 x 1200 when using hdmi connector, so it t seems to be dvi or db15 and > 1280 x 1024 and gnome combination.
pataphysician is offline   Reply With Quote