Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-10, 04:22 AM   #1
wb.kloke

Smile new legacy releases for FreeBSD-8.0 needed -solved-

Accidentally I updated a FreeBSD system using the 96.43 legacy driver to FreeBSD-8.0.

I needed resync src tree und kernel.
Removing Linux support und the spurious version exclude for >8 did the work.
96.43.13 does compile under 8.0.

Last edited by wb.kloke; 02-03-10 at 10:49 AM. Reason: problem solved
wb.kloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 12:54 AM   #2
Almighty1

Send a message via ICQ to Almighty1 Send a message via AIM to Almighty1 Send a message via MSN to Almighty1 Send a message via Yahoo to Almighty1
Default Re: new legacy releases for FreeBSD-8.0 needed

What's the correct procedure to get 96.43 to compile under FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE or 9.0-CURRENT? This is where it errors:

cc -O2 -pipe -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.14\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -fno-strict-aliasing -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_dev.c
nvidia_dev.c:138: error: conflicting types for 'nvidia_dev_mmap'
nvidia_dev.c:20: error: previous declaration of 'nvidia_dev_mmap' was here
*** Error code 1

Stop in /boot/modules/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.14/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /boot/modules/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.14.
Old 02-05-10, 12:42 PM   #3
wb.kloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
What's the correct procedure to get 96.43 to compile under FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE or 9.0-CURRENT? This is where it errors:
I am not sure, but this may have been the type of error, why I disabled Linux support. in nv-freebsd.h. You have to disable going into the linux directories from the Makefile, too.

You mentioned 96.43.14. I looked into the ftp server and found 96.43.16, too, there. But both tar.gz's could be extracted by FreeBSD tar. What is happening there?
Old 02-06-10, 04:34 AM   #4
Almighty1

Send a message via ICQ to Almighty1 Send a message via AIM to Almighty1 Send a message via MSN to Almighty1 Send a message via Yahoo to Almighty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb.kloke View Post
I am not sure, but this may have been the type of error, why I disabled Linux support. in nv-freebsd.h. You have to disable going into the linux directories from the Makefile, too.

You mentioned 96.43.14. I looked into the ftp server and found 96.43.16, too, there. But both tar.gz's could be extracted by FreeBSD tar. What is happening there?
96.43.14 is the latest official since I upgraded from 6.0-CURRENT November 2004 to the February 1, 2010 9.0-CURRENT and got ports/x11/nvidia-driver compiled and installed except it was the wrong version and it told me to goto http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html to get the 96.43.xx driver which is what I did. What exactly did you disable in nv-freebsd.h or how exactly is it done?
Old 02-06-10, 09:17 AM   #5
wb.kloke

Quote:
96.43.14 is the latest official ... What exactly did you disable in nv-freebsd.h or how exactly is it done?
Thanks. The file I got is good now.

The diff is:

diff NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.14/src/nv-freebsd.h NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.13/src/nv-freebsd.h
24,26d23
< #if __FreeBSD_version >= 800000
< #error This driver does not support FreeBSD 8.x/-CURRENT!
< #endif
173c170
< #define NV_SUPPORT_LINUX_COMPAT
---
> #undef NV_SUPPORT_LINUX_COMPAT

I don't have access to this machine now. On monday I shall try .14 version.
Old 02-06-10, 12:20 PM   #6
Almighty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb.kloke View Post
Thanks. The file I got is good now.

The diff is:

diff NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.14/src/nv-freebsd.h NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.13/src/nv-freebsd.h
24,26d23
< #if __FreeBSD_version >= 800000
< #error This driver does not support FreeBSD 8.x/-CURRENT!
< #endif
173c170
< #define NV_SUPPORT_LINUX_COMPAT
---
> #undef NV_SUPPORT_LINUX_COMPAT

I don't have access to this machine now. On monday I shall try .14 version.
I tried that but still breaks for me at the same exact spot. I think there is a specific reason to have that line of not supporting 8.x/-CURRENT. 96.43.13 is actually a pre-release if you look at the threads earlier on this forum.
Old 02-06-10, 01:43 PM   #7
wb.kloke

Quote:
I tried that but still breaks for me at the same exact spot. I think there is a specific reason to have that line of not supporting 8.x/-CURRENT. 96.43.13 is actually a pre-release if you look at the threads earlier on this forum.
Actually it looks still easier than I thought: The lines 20 and 132 do contain different declarations for nvidia_dev_mmap. The first contains keyword "static", the second not. Did you try to insert "static" in line 132? Or removing the keyword in 20? Perhaps there are compilers which would tolerate the difference, and others don't.
Old 02-16-10, 01:23 PM   #8
Almighty1

No because I didn't want to mess up too much of the original code and forgot what I did. Anyways, problem has already been fixed in the Makefile earlier today in the ports tree so /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver-96 compiles without issues. There is no need to disable the linux compat either:

root@bigbang [11:31am][/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver-96] >> make
===> Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
===> Found saved configuration for nvidia-driver-195.22
===> Extracting for nvidia-driver-96.43.16
=> MD5 Checksum mismatch for NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz.
=> SHA256 Checksum mismatch for NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz.
===> Refetch for 1 more times files: NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz
=> NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://jp.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/96.43.16/.
NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz 100% of 11 MB 607 kBps 00m00s
=> MD5 Checksum OK for NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-96.43.16.tar.gz.
===> Patching for nvidia-driver-96.43.16
===> Applying FreeBSD patches for nvidia-driver-96.43.16
===> nvidia-driver-96.43.16 depends on shared library: m.3 - found
===> nvidia-driver-96.43.16 depends on shared library: GL.1 - found
===> Configuring for nvidia-driver-96.43.16
===> Building for nvidia-driver-96.43.16
===> src (all)
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/device_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/bus_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/pci/pci_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/vnode_if.awk @/kern/vnode_if.src -p
awk -f @/tools/vnode_if.awk @/kern/vnode_if.src -q
awk -f @/tools/vnode_if.awk @/kern/vnode_if.src -h
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_ctl.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_dev.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_linux.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_os.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_os_pci.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_os_registry.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_pci.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_subr.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_sysctl.c
cc -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"96.43.16\" -D__KERNEL__ -DNVRM -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG -O -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I/src -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c nvidia_i2c.c
ld -d -warn-common -r -d -o nvidia.kld nv-kernel.o nvidia_ctl.o nvidia_dev.o nvidia_linux.o nvidia_os.o nvidia_os_pci.o nvidia_os_registry.o nvidia_pci.o nvidia_subr.o nvidia_sysctl.o nvidia_i2c.o
:> export_syms
awk -f /sys/conf/kmod_syms.awk nvidia.kld export_syms | xargs -J% objcopy % nvidia.kld
ld -Bshareable -d -warn-common -o nvidia.ko nvidia.kld
objcopy --strip-debug nvidia.ko
===> lib (all)
===> lib/libGL (all)
===> lib/libnvidia-tls (all)
===> lib/libnvidia-cfg (all)
===> lib/libGLcore (all)
===> lib/libXvMCNVIDIA (all)
===> lib/compat (all)
===> lib/compat/libGL (all)
===> lib/compat/libnvidia-tls (all)
===> lib/compat/libGLcore (all)