Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-17-09, 10:10 AM   #13
tier

Default Re: 190.09 -> desktop freeze and Xid errors with 7300GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
Most companies feel their software is special. They place high value in it. It's an obsolete mentality here in the Internet age. These sort of decisions are mostly made by people with no programming background what-so-ever. They feel it's a business/marketing/logical decision. I don't know the feelings or positions of the nVidia forum members, but I'm 99% sure they don't make the decisions about driver releases.

nVidia wouldn't lose a stock point. They wouldn't lose an OEM customer. They wouldn't lose anything by releasing such a driver. It's corporate politics and old school policies that keep such things still in place.
This is nonsense. Just consider what happened when intel pushed a faulty e1000 driver to th mainline kernel when it was still in alpha stage.
Many forums/mailing lists and irc channels were flooded with stupid guys complaining about intel being a **** company releasing stuff which destroys their customers hardware... and so on. Complete nonsense since the stuff was intended for developers only. Many people dont geht that difference and if something fatal should happen, there would be another wave of complaining retards who dont know the basics but want to use "ricer" stuff.

Besides, nvidia might hold back new drivers because they include new stuff which should be released to the public in a more or less working state and not as complete garbage.
tier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 10:59 AM   #14
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
What's the point in keeping new driver versions "secret"? I mean, if you don't want to provide any support for these development versions, just don't answer any questions. But why shouldn't the community be allowed to test them (taking the risk to break their system)?
Probably NVIDIA's well-known Intellectual Property paranoia. Apparently they still believe that there is a buch of ATI engineers that jump on a new driver and disassemble it or something (a quite amusing idea acutally). As mooninite said, it'll probably still take time for the NVIDIA management to arrive in the 21st century.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 12:10 PM   #15
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vla View Post
what a nonsense.

you pay for the work needed to "align your 1s and 0s".
if some don't want get paid for "aligning", it's their choice. not yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tier
This is nonsense.
Red Hat and Novell would beg to differ with your claim of "nonsense."

They have some nice earning reports for the past couple of years for giving away software and providing customer support at a fee.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 12:53 PM   #16
Dragoran

Quote:

They have some nice earning reports for the past couple of years for giving away software and providing customer support at a fee.
Does not change the fact the NVIDIA has the right to choose the business model they want, same as Redhat and Novell did.

Telling Redhat "not selling your software is wrong stop that" would be the same nonsense.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 01:45 PM   #17
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
Does not change the fact the NVIDIA has the right to choose the business model they want, same as Redhat and Novell did.

Telling Redhat "not selling your software is wrong stop that" would be the same nonsense.
Did I ever say that nVidia should change their business model? Nope!

Don't put words in my mouth.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 06:11 AM   #18
tier

Quote:

You obviously misunderstood completely what I meant. Did you read the example with intel's faulty driver? I was not referring to the policy of making money with software..
tier is offline   Reply With Quote