Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-09, 09:43 PM   #13
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Re: Modern image editing software.

Pixel Image editor is fast. It isn't free, but it's not $600 either.

33 Euros.

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12

There is a demo version on the page I sent you

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 02:53 AM   #14
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Spam bot!

Just use Paint. It's how masters do it, just like pros do html in notepad... ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 08:02 AM   #15
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Pixel Image editor is fast. It isn't free, but it's not $600 either.

33 Euros.

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12

There is a demo version on the page I sent you
LOL, be very careful with this one. I have been following it's development for a while and they just recently removed their forums because of all the pissed off users that paid them but got almost no updates from the current beta release. I don't want to say they are a scam but when last I went to the site it had been over a year since the last beta was released even though about 6 months prior the author was saying he was going to release a newer beta in a 2 weeks.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 09:59 AM   #16
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
For example, I just downloaded a desktop picture from a website. It had a nasty looking border on it, so I attempted to black-out the border using GIMP. I found that it takes dozens of clicks and adjustments in 3 different areas just to get my brush to paint a soft black edge. And even then, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the damned thing to actually paint the correct color (BLACK) with a soft edge. Once I'd reached a certain level of "opacity" it simply wouldn't apply any more black unless I adjust the opacity before every click.
I'm confused, it's not difficult at all to paint black with a soft edge in Gimp. The paintbrush tool has a number of brushes for that already.

Or is that not what you wanted to do?
Quote:
On top of all that, I had to keep moving windows out of the way because the interface doesn't appear to dock anywhere.
Unfortunately Gimp assumes you have a decent window manager and Windows doesn't qualify. I suspect this is the #1 problem people have with the interface (at least people who aren't already married to the Photoshop interface and will never accept anything that is not a direct clone, but I digress).
Quote:
And the whole program seems incredibly laggy and choppy... as if I'm running without my video drivers installed or something.
Never had that problem, but it would definitely be a dealbreaker for me too.

Quote:
Hell, I didn't even have to touch the keyboard since the mouse wheel zooms in and out automatically and you can use it to zoom out and back into any part of the image in a fraction of a second.
That's a pet peeve of mine with the Gimp. This should be the default, rather than the worthless "scroll up/down" setting that they have. It's the first thing I change every time I install it.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 10:58 PM   #17
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
LOL, be very careful with this one. I have been following it's development for a while and they just recently removed their forums because of all the pissed off users that paid them but got almost no updates from the current beta release. I don't want to say they are a scam but when last I went to the site it had been over a year since the last beta was released even though about 6 months prior the author was saying he was going to release a newer beta in a 2 weeks.
Ooo, thanks for that update. I personally don't use it. I didn't like the demo.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
HANNS-G 28" LCD
Windows 7 Pro x64
Old 07-26-09, 02:30 AM   #18
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb View Post
I'm confused, it's not difficult at all to paint black with a soft edge in Gimp. The paintbrush tool has a number of brushes for that already.

Or is that not what you wanted to do?
Make a solid very dark grey (almost black) box on a black background and then attempt to blend out the edges between the almost black and the black using a black paint brush.

Without manually adjusting the opacity every time you can't paint a gradient. Even when you tell it to make the brush build up as you keep drawing it will only apply so much "color" and every time you do it it applies less and less. This means the edge of the box will always be visible no matter how much clicking you do without changing the opacity with every click. PSP doesn't have this problem.

Also, PSP allows me to adjust how soft\sharp I want the edges of my brush with a slider. If I want a solid circle with a soft edge, I can do it in varying degrees.

I guess my main gripe with the programs I've used is that there isn't any simple or fast way to do things that are incredibly basic parts of PSP7.

EDIT: I've attached the image I was trying to edit. I wanted to get rid of the white line and the harsh transition from the full black background to the bluish-black night sky. Between the zooming, the windows getting in the way and having to constantly adjust the opacity it was aggrivating in GIMP.

In PSP it took only a couple minutes to fix the whole image. I've attached the fixed one I made in PSP7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abstract_0073.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	37658  Click image for larger version

Name:	abstract_0073_edited.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	37659  
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 10:52 AM   #19
nemecb

Quote:
Make a solid very dark grey (almost black) box on a black background and then attempt to blend out the edges between the almost black and the black using a black paint brush.
I'm inclined to say that I would never do that. If I wanted to blend a box into a background I would use Gaussian blur and then I wouldn't be stuck with a particular softness level for the blend. Maybe just different ways of thinking based on the program we're used to.

Quote:
Without manually adjusting the opacity every time you can't paint a gradient. Even when you tell it to make the brush build up as you keep drawing it will only apply so much "color" and every time you do it it applies less and less. This means the edge of the box will always be visible no matter how much clicking you do without changing the opacity with every click. PSP doesn't have this problem.
If I understand correctly, the problem you were having is that you clicked and held once and it wouldn't give you color past the set opacity level? In order to layer translucent drawing like that you need to stop drawing and click again and it will draw over top of what you just drew. I'm having no trouble getting full black with a partially opaque brush doing that. Why did they choose to do it that way? Beats me, although it allows you to fill in an area smoothly with a given level of color without having to worry about overlapping your previous drawing.

Quote:
Also, PSP allows me to adjust how soft\sharp I want the edges of my brush with a slider. If I want a solid circle with a soft edge, I can do it in varying degrees.
Yeah, I actually googled this wondering if it was possible to do in the Gimp and it seems it isn't. You can create new brushes with different hardness, but that's obviously not ideal for many changes. Although like I said, if I were going to draw a soft circle I would probably just draw it and then Gaussian blur it, but this is still probably a legitimate complaint.

Quote:
In PSP it took only a couple minutes to fix the whole image. I've attached the fixed one I made in PSP7.
TBH I don't see anything in the fixed image that would take me more than a couple of minutes in the Gimp either. Unfortunately, I suspect things are always going to be easier to do in the program that you know. For the interface difficulties, I would suggest GimpShop which is a modification of the Gimp to have a more Photoshop-like interface. I'm guessing it will work better on Windows.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 11:02 AM   #20
Zelda_fan

Quote:

I guess my main gripe with the programs I've used is that there isn't any simple or fast way to do things that are incredibly basic parts of PSP7.

EDIT: I've attached the image I was trying to edit. I wanted to get rid of the white line and the harsh transition from the full black background to the bluish-black night sky. Between the zooming, the windows getting in the way and having to constantly adjust the opacity it was aggrivating in GIMP.

You could do that in photoshop with the edge tool in about two seconds.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-09, 11:20 AM   #21
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
You could do that in photoshop with the edge tool in about two seconds.
Any ideas how I can get Photoshop and Illustrator cheaply without being a student or a pirate?
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:47 PM   #22
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Any ideas how I can get Photoshop and Illustrator cheaply without being a student or a pirate?
I'd just ask a friend who's a student to buy it for me.
Old 07-26-09, 06:15 PM   #23
LurkerLito

The cheapest way IIRC is to buy the elements version then upgrade to the full version. Just double check with adobe to make sure they still allow it. I am kind of ticked off at them cause I still use PS 5.5 but they won't let me upgrade to any of the latest even if I wanted to because the version is too old.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 09:36 PM   #24
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Why not just upgrade to the last version of PSP that has Animation Shop included? That would be PSP 9

AMD Phenom II 955BE
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
HANNS-G 28" LCD
Windows 7 Pro x64