Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-19-09, 12:20 PM   #1
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Default TechNet Plus Direct

Ok guys, a friend of mine is debating me about TechNet Plus Direct from Microsoft. He says its too good to be true...that you can't possibly buy a subscription from Microsoft to download full non-expiring versions of both Office and Windows for $349.00 without some sort of catch since that is the cost of buying Windows retail alone.

I tried to explain that you really can do this and that the software will not expire after the first year. He even read the Technet webpage and still thinks it can't be true. He argues that if it were, then everyone would be doing this.

I don't yet have a TechNet Plus Direct subscription but am planning to get one after "7" is officially released.

You guys that have used TechNet Plus Direct care to chime in on the true facts?
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 12:39 PM   #2
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Default Re: TechNet Plus Direct

It is correct. I've got different "Visual Studio Team System Team Suite with MSDN Premium" subscription which basically covers anything Microsoft has ever produced (with this subscription you can generate unlimited Vista/W2k8/SQL Server/Visual Studio/Office, etc. licenses by clicking a button, if you need them for development), but they all work the same - you are entitled, within your subscription period, to download copies of SW that your subscription covers.

And even if you do not renew your subscription after 1 year, your licenses are still valid, and you even still have access to downloads published within that (now expired) subscription period.

You usually also get SW sooner (comparing to general public RTM releases), and you may be entitled to priority support, etc.

Technet/MSDN subscription is a very good deal.
Old 07-19-09, 02:19 PM   #3
Bman212121

The keys are full installs and no time bombs. It is regular software just like everyone else gets. The difference between technet and retail is licensing. The reason you are allowed to run any copy of Windows and office is because you are evaluating and testing the software. You can evaluate it as long as you need to but you cannot transfer your copies to anyone else. The software is only for the user who buys the subscription. The retail version you can sell or give to someone if you get rid of the pc, any technet installs you cannot. Also, you wouldn't be allowed to use technet for a business, but retail installs you could.

So if you want something for personal use to test all of the goodies there is no better way than technet. I run Server 03 and Server 08, XP, Vista, Office 07, MS SQL and a few other things from my subscription. By evaluating the software before it even comes out I can use my personal knowledge to my advantage at work. If you think about it this is were MS really shines with Technet. I'm much more inclined to suggest MS products over other competitors because I know how it works.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 03:29 PM   #4
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

To add: MSDN licenses cannot be used for production runs, they are for development purposes only. Ie. you can test e.g. Exchange server locally (as many copies as you wish), but you cannot install it on your production server and let it handle incomming emails on regular basis. Same applies to SQL Server 2008, etc.