Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-19-09, 07:43 PM   #1
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Firefox better get it's act together

Another major exploit discovered, right after 3.5.1 was released to fix previous exploits.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=6829&rss

Apparently running no-script extensions will not help that much

Chrome is looking better and better everyday.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 08:50 PM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Firefox better get it's act together

Honestly, if everyone freaked out over security flaws like this over any browser, I don't think anyone would get on the Internet anymore. I know that security is very important when it comes to being online, but my goodness, do we have to cry about every "hole" and "flaw"? Come on people.

Use which browser you like and feel safest with, and move on.

/thread

EDIT: Sorry Sazar for crapping on your thread, but come on dude . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 10:11 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

People started using Firefox while bashing IE and it's security woe's. I think it is only justified to move away from the FF fanboyism when it is clearly not at the fore-front and hasn't been for a long time and while it's quality and security continues to drop.

Just saying, there are superior alternatives out there and instead of launching a good, competitive browser, we get one which is a little faster than the previous one, still has memory leaks and still is slower and lacks features available in the others Oh, and it has security holes that even the extensions can't plug.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 01:45 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

As FF become more popular people will poke and prod more.

I can't wait till Chrome has Google toolbar built in AND supports Windows 7 taskbar fully, until then it's IE8 with IE7pro....

and Google Toolbar.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 03:37 PM   #5
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
As FF become more popular people will poke and prod more.

I can't wait till Chrome has Google toolbar built in AND supports Windows 7 taskbar fully, until then it's IE8 with IE7pro....

and Google Toolbar.
I was shocked to see that they released and updated IE7Pro this past week, but it's still not officially compatible with IE8. In fact, the release notes are more cryptic than Realtek driver updates.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:52 PM   #6
Kain

I have version 3.0.11. Will this also affect me?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 09:16 PM   #7
Pissbeuponhim

personally i think that firefox needs a sharp reawakening unless it wants to go the same way as netscape (okay that was a money thing but hey). It has shot to stardom on the the very grounds its slipping on now.

tut tut.
Pissbeuponhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 06:32 AM   #8
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
I was shocked to see that they released and updated IE7Pro this past week, but it's still not officially compatible with IE8. In fact, the release notes are more cryptic than Realtek driver updates.
Yeah, you still have to disable LCIE to get IE7Pro to run properly all the time everytime. But that's not a huge deal as IE8 is pretty rock solid.

Old 07-21-09, 12:17 PM   #9
Heinz68

Well I still prefer the Firefox, I don't like the IE integration in the OS mainly for security reasons and also when there is problem with the browser it's some time harder to fix it.

I and many others would not call the IE8 as "pretty rock solid", but since I was not using the IE8 (at least I believed so), I would say who cares.

Recently I was connecting to my STEAM account, right on the top off the Home Page there is a Flash add which was not running, instead it had a link for updating the Flash Player, I clicked on the link which didn't work.

I open the Firefox checked some off my fav WebCam girls and the flash player was working just fine also checked the Adobe site to make sure I had the latest version.

I rightly guessed the STEAM using the IE8, when I tried to open the IE it didn't connect and after few seconds it closed without any error notice.

Searching the IE on my PC I actualy found to have two versions of IE8, one 32bit and the other 64 bit but the shortcut was only for the 32bit which was not loading. I opened the the 64bit and it loaded just fine so again I checked my fav girls just to find out I need to get the Flash Player. Well there was a little problem since the Adobe Flash Player doesn't support the 64-bit Vista.
No wonder the shortcut is opening the 32-bit IE but why is MS even downloading the 64-bit version.

Anyway I Googled "IE8 wont load" just to find out many others with similar problems and at least at that time I could not find any fix for that.

The system restore would not fix the problem I guess since I got the IE8 with Vista 64bit Service Pack 2.

I do remember at least some IE versions had repair option in the Control Panel Uninstall but the option is no longer there.

The only option left was to uninstall the IE8 from the updates and install again but it didn't work the same problem was still there, guess thanks to the integration. If there was same problem with Firefox it would be easy to fix it.

Since i needed to access my games on STEAM I decided to reinstall the OS I believe there was no other fix at least at that time.

PS
There was no virus or malware on my PC, I did the scan with few programs.
Since it was not my first problem with Vista64 I do HOPE the Windows 7 (Vista Service Pack 3 ) is going to be much better.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 04:18 PM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Well I still prefer the Firefox, I don't like the IE integration in the OS mainly for security reasons and also when there is problem with the browser it's some time harder to fix it.

I and many others would not call the IE8 as "pretty rock solid", but since I was not using the IE8 (at least I believed so), I would say who cares.

Recently I was connecting to my STEAM account, right on the top off the Home Page there is a Flash add which was not running, instead it had a link for updating the Flash Player, I clicked on the link which didn't work.

I open the Firefox checked some off my fav WebCam girls and the flash player was working just fine also checked the Adobe site to make sure I had the latest version.

I rightly guessed the STEAM using the IE8, when I tried to open the IE it didn't connect and after few seconds it closed without any error notice.

Searching the IE on my PC I actualy found to have two versions of IE8, one 32bit and the other 64 bit but the shortcut was only for the 32bit which was not loading. I opened the the 64bit and it loaded just fine so again I checked my fav girls just to find out I need to get the Flash Player. Well there was a little problem since the Adobe Flash Player doesn't support the 64-bit Vista.
No wonder the shortcut is opening the 32-bit IE but why is MS even downloading the 64-bit version.

Anyway I Googled "IE8 wont load" just to find out many others with similar problems and at least at that time I could not find any fix for that.

The system restore would not fix the problem I guess since I got the IE8 with Vista 64bit Service Pack 2.

I do remember at least some IE versions had repair option in the Control Panel Uninstall but the option is no longer there.

The only option left was to uninstall the IE8 from the updates and install again but it didn't work the same problem was still there, guess thanks to the integration. If there was same problem with Firefox it would be easy to fix it.

Since i needed to access my games on STEAM I decided to reinstall the OS I believe there was no other fix at least at that time.

PS
There was no virus or malware on my PC, I did the scan with few programs.
Since it was not my first problem with Vista64 I do HOPE the Windows 7 (Vista Service Pack 3 ) is going to be much better.
So the fact that Adobe doesn't have a 64-bit flash program, which led you to miss out on some skanks on the interwebs, led you to not like IE and prefer FF?

Wow...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 04:31 PM   #11
crainger

IE8 does not come with SP2.
Old 07-21-09, 04:36 PM   #12
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

google chrome is the browser for now. miss the add-ons of FF though

btw you see google here and in the sentence above chrome's spell checker doesn't recognise it.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote