Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-09, 03:24 AM   #1
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Thumbs up Game development funded by customers?

This is very interesting...

http://kotaku.com/5318368/valve-let-...es-development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Newell
One of the areas that I am super interested in right now is how we can do financing from the community. So right now, what typically happens is you have this budget - it needs to be huge, it has to be $10m - $30m, and it has to be all available at the beginning of the project. There's a huge amount of risk associated with those dollars and decisions have to be incredibly conservative.

What I think would be much better would be if the community could finance the games. In other words, ‘Hey, I really like this idea you have. I'll be an early investor in that and, as a result, at a later point I may make a return on that product, but I'll also get a copy of that game.'

So move financing from something that occurs between a publisher and a developer… Instead have it be something where funding is coming out of community for games and game concepts they really like.
I think this is a fantastic idea. A platform like Steam would be absolutely perfect for indy developers to pitch their ideas to the masses in hopes of getting support (financial or otherwise) from the community to fund the development of games that might otherwise never see the light of day.

If they could put together a good system for this, I think it could potentially change the PC gaming market significantly.

Imagine if all of the interesting projects we've seen over the years had a few thousand or even a few hundred thousand dollars of funding? Not only would we see more indy games, and better quality indy games, we'd see small developers and interesting games being picked up by publishers and brought to a larger market.

I'd gladly help a development team fund an interesting or unique project. Especially if they gave an early alpha demo or something to show that they know what they're doing.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 03:31 AM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Game development funded by customers?

Interesting idea. Not sure how well it would work though.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 05:43 AM   #3
Pissbeuponhim

The problem with this idea is that the people who need the money most are the most likely to be cowboys.

The people who people would "trust" enough for the cash, probably dont need it or the hassle.
Pissbeuponhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 06:43 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Problem is gamers are a bunch of cheapskates.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 06:46 AM   #5
Pissbeuponhim

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Problem is gamers are a bunch of cheapskates.

Indeed this is very true. I have only just got round to updating my P4 desktop....
Pissbeuponhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 07:47 AM   #6
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

I think this game is made by donations but I may be wrong

http://www.1944game.com/
Old 07-21-09, 09:32 AM   #7
LurkerLito

I think it's an interesting idea but won't work. There have been way to many instances where games are planned, hyped then canceled at the last minute. If it was funded by potential customers then they would more than likely expect a refund which would never be possible as all that money would have been used up already on the development. If they want community venture capitalists, ie people willing to put thousands of dollars into the investment of the game not just preorder on faith the game will come out, then those people will need a profit sharing type model to even consider investing in a project. A setup for that will be difficult and will require contracts between the company and investor. No click 'I Agree' contracts will work in this case.

The best a game company could do is make a working "preview" where the whole engine is basically done and a free "level" is given out with it. Then community preorders would pay for the creation of the full game with all the levels. That type of a plan might work but then that basically is almost exactly like episodic content and that isn't working well for anything but the adventure game genre right now.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 10:14 AM   #8
|MaguS|

I think its a STUPID idea. Do you know how many games are scrapped mid development, hundreds. Whats there to protect the gamers money if a game ends up getting scrapped? The money is already wasted and the community gets no return...

Old 07-21-09, 12:56 PM   #9
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I would just be afraid of the scammers. If there was a way to control that, I think it would be pretty cool.
Old 07-21-09, 06:40 PM   #10
XDanger
Whaaat?

"money up front before we even write the code"?? Thats really taking the piss.

I'm guessing you'd need to invest more than the rrp of the game?

How about people give up some time instead of cash...
Old 07-21-09, 07:21 PM   #11
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

mount and blade already did something similair, they had people buy the game in a playable pre alpha state for like 10 or 15 $, and as they built the game they patched in the new content and bug fixes. when finshed the game cost like 2x as much. So they basicly made the game with sales pre-release. And it was kinda fun following the development of a game from beginning to end.
proliferazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 07:27 PM   #12
grey_1

No money up front from me.

Where's HL2 ep3 Gabe? Eh?

If one lousy dollar of my cash goes to funding a game I want a deadline and that deadline to be met.