Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-26-09, 12:01 AM   #37
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Why DirectX 11 will save the video card industry and why you don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
The biggest problem is too much focus on graphics that only a few can run, while the game itself is lacking. Crysis may be great looking, but it's hardly a great game. There's nothing new there.
The whole "Crysis looks good but is not a great game" thing is kind of played out. That game is a great FPS, and was never meant to be more than a great FPS. I don't know how you could love FPS games and not like Crysis quite a bit.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 01:16 PM   #38
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Default Re: Why DirectX 11 will save the video card industry and why you don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The whole "Crysis looks good but is not a great game" thing is kind of played out. That game is a great FPS, and was never meant to be more than a great FPS. I don't know how you could love FPS games and not like Crysis quite a bit.
QFT, well spoken... And today, most average systems has catched up with crysis and playing on High settings shouldn't be much of a problem, but when it came in 2007 it was a bit of a different story.
Old 07-26-09, 07:55 PM   #39
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
The biggest problem is too much focus on graphics that only a few can run, while the game itself is lacking. Crysis may be great looking, but it's hardly a great game. There's nothing new there.
Bollocks, crysis is a f*cking stellar shooter, super suit is a fantastic game mechanic.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 04:24 PM   #40
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

Even Blizzard's old games are making top 10 lists still. People want fun games, only a small portion of people demand Crysis looking titles at 1920x1200 16AA AF at 60fps. :\
I would say every wants games like that, the issue is cost. not everyone can or is willing to afford it.
Old 07-30-09, 04:25 PM   #41
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
Bollocks, crysis is a f*cking stellar shooter, super suit is a fantastic game mechanic.
100% agreed. Crysis is an amazing game on every level and the freedom in gameplay it offers is just fantastic.
Old 07-30-09, 04:48 PM   #42
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
And unfortunately most studios/publishers aren't willing to invest in a highend game like that.
They only do when they know they can get a return on investment, problem is that on the PC atleast its alot riskier, very few games return the invest and provide enough extra to fund development of the next project*.

*Think I read somewhere recently about a studio closing because they couldn't fund their next project even though their last game sold well.
Old 07-30-09, 04:52 PM   #43
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
100% agreed. Crysis is an amazing game on every level and freedom in gameplay it offers is just fantastic.
Completely true. I've played it through ~ 3 times so far (got it this year) and its incredible. It's the only game I go back to check up on the performance of a new cfg tweak I found or a system upgrade, and then get sucked into the gameplay and lose 15 hours.
Old 07-30-09, 05:15 PM   #44
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I think I've gone through Crysis 3 times myself... once at the start, once again with new graphics, once again on hard... hard mode is awesome, by the by.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 07-30-09, 05:19 PM   #45
|MaguS|

I can't even get through the game once... think I got to the tank part on the first game and never cared to keep going...
Old 07-30-09, 07:34 PM   #46
turdhat

Quote:
I don't think this generation lasting longer is going to kill anybody... true, at some point we need new hardware and games that take advantage of it or else sales will plummet, but that is a long ways off.

I think the industry changes way too fast. Seems just as programmers are getting good and milking a certain platform it changes and they have to start over. Look at 1st get ps3 or 360 games vs new titles to see what I mean. A longer gen forces more creative thinking to achieve more mileage out of the hardware. I think this is a good thing. Who the hell wants to spend $600.00 or so for a video card every 8 months to a year ? Not me !
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 09:19 PM   #47
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdhat View Post
I think the industry changes way too fast. Seems just as programmers are getting good and milking a certain platform it changes and they have to start over. Look at 1st get ps3 or 360 games vs new titles to see what I mean. A longer gen forces more creative thinking to achieve more mileage out of the hardware. I think this is a good thing. Who the hell wants to spend $600.00 or so for a video card every 8 months to a year ? Not me !
$600 a year is pretty exaggerated, in my experience.

Old 07-30-09, 09:21 PM   #48
|MaguS|

Quote:
$600 a year is pretty exaggerated, in my experience.
Not if you buy the best GPU upon release... Cheapest GTX295 is $469.99 on newegg... and its already half a year old?