Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-09, 11:14 AM   #13
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Default Re: mplayer slow playback for Hong Kong h264 DVB broadcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbenr View Post
You're right, apparently Eurosport uses MBAFF (checked with h264_parse) and Nederland 1 HD doesn't, (does this mean PAFF or can it be just normal interlaced?)
MBAFF has no effects on A/V sync, PAFF has. Neither implies the other, they may appear together.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 10:10 PM   #14
rocha_samurai

Hi Carl, thanks for your support.

We have mplayer with vdpau working well with 1080p files. But Brazil 1080i H264 ISDB-T broadcast .ts recorded files show slow playback issue.

Hardware = NVIDIA ION board = G9400 and Atom Single Core 1.6GHz 2GB RAM.
Software = NVIDIA driver 185.18.31, mplayer trunk R29532
Installation = HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Quote:
#
# Tested command lines with H264 .ts files
#
# 1080p files with very large bitrate play fine
# 1080i .ts files recorded from TV broadcasting play very slow
#
mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau 1080i_video_file.ts
mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=2 -vc ffh264vdpau 1080i_video_file.ts
mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=2 -vc ffh264vdpau -mc 2 1080i_video_file.ts
mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=2 -vc ffh264vdpau -tsprobe 1000000 1080i_video_file.ts
mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=2 -vc ffh264vdpau -delay -0.4 -mc 2 1080i_video_file.ts
mplayer -vo vdpau:deint=2 -vc ffh264vdpau -cache 100000 1080i_video_file.ts
We can send sample files if you'd like, but the behavior is the same from previous posts.

Pls, help. Thanks.
rocha_samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 07:24 PM   #15
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Could you clarify that
Code:
mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau -mc 2 1080i_video_file.ts
plays too slow?
If yes, please upload a sample to ftp://ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ (write only) and report the file-name here.

Carl Eugen
Old 08-19-09, 04:37 AM   #16
nicks1

Sorry to hijack this again as I'm sure this isn't a VDPAU issue but I am now seeing something similar with the BBCHD 1080i transmissions in the UK. I've been routinely viewing this channel for some time with good A/V sync and no workarounds required. About 3 weeks ago it seems they changed the encoders. One change involved slashing the bit rate by about 40% but they must have changed something else (now using PAFF?) as I now see the slow video symptom. Using the workaround -mc2 and a delay of about -300ms makes the transmission viewable but the problem is that the symptom is variable. The status line A/V sync readout oscillates around 200-300ms but occasionally (often on a camera change) it will return to oscillating around zero. This means the sync, although much improved, is never actually quite correct. I've been following the discussion on the mplayer engineering list concerning PAFF and it seems this is currently a difficult problem. Any solution in sight? Also could anybody confirm BBCHD is now using PAFF? I'm currently on a slow internet connection but could send a clip tomorrow if this would be useful.
nicks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 12:23 PM   #17
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks1 View Post
Using the workaround -mc2 and a delay of about -300ms makes the transmission viewable but the problem is that the symptom is variable. The status line A/V sync readout oscillates around 200-300ms but occasionally (often on a camera change) it will return to oscillating around zero. This means the sync, although much improved, is never actually quite correct.
A very accurate description of playing any PAFF stream I know of with MPlayer.
Quote:
I've been following the discussion on the mplayer engineering list concerning PAFF
That surprises me because I had the impression most (other) MPlayer developers are not interested in playing PAFF streams and, therefore, no discussion is going on.

Carl Eugen
Old 08-19-09, 09:27 PM   #18
rocha_samurai

Yes, Carl,

Quote:
and all other combinations - with or without deint=1,2 or 3, mc, cache, delay, tsprobe - show the same results: 1080i .ts files play slow like half speed, HE-AAC v2 audio plays fine with -ac faad and there are also some artefacts. 1080p files play fine and image is much better with -deint=2

Would two 5 seconds sample files be enough ? We'll post them to your ftp.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-09, 03:39 AM   #19
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocha_samurai View Post
Would two 5 seconds sample files be enough ?
I don't think two samples are necessary, but 5 seconds is not enough to test A/V sync issues, imo.

Carl Eugen
Old 08-20-09, 05:19 AM   #20
nicks1

Hi Carl,
I for one am very interested in this problem. In the UK both ITVHD and now also BBCHD seem to produce this symptom. I need to confirm that BBCHD has indeed changed to using PAFF, if it has not it means that other 1080i files can also have this problem. Xine-vdpau seems to play the files ok but I think it does the A/V sync differently. I would prefer to stick with mplayer as I find that with SD transmissions it currently does a better long term job with A/V sync (the status line never deviates by more than +- 8ms). Mplayer and VDPAU also seem to work very impressively with a wide range of video formats. I have a clip of BBCHD I could send but as you point out you need to view it for a while to see all the characteristics. It's about 120MB. Let me know if I should try to send it.
Thanks for your help.

Old 08-23-09, 02:14 PM   #21
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks1 View Post
In the UK both ITVHD and now also BBCHD seem to produce this symptom.
The symptom that -mc 2 is needed to play the streams, or that there is constantly increasing A/V de-sync even with -mc 2?

Carl Eugen
Old 08-24-09, 03:49 AM   #22
nicks1

The symptom is the usual one: The streams show increasing A/V desync without -mc 2 but play ok with -mc 2 and a delay of about -200ms. As I said previously the problem is that the workaround prevents complete desync but it's not really possible to make the delay accurate as with these streams the sync (as shown in the status line) oscillates typically +-100ms around 200ms and will occasionally jump back to oscillating around zero. It's therefore impossible to choose a delay which gives accurate lip sync under all circumstances.
In contrast SD transmissions and other (presumably non PAFF) 1080i streams show excellent sync and the A/V readout never deviates from zero by more than +-8ms which is visually not noticeable.

Last edited by nicks1; 08-24-09 at 03:52 AM. Reason: wrong units (secs instead of msecs)
Old 08-24-09, 05:19 AM   #23
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocha_samurai View Post
Code:
and all other combinations - with or without deint=1,2 or 3, mc, cache, delay, tsprobe - show the same results: 1080i .ts files play slow like half speed
Assuming your samples are Brazil.*.ISDB-T.broadcast.ts.mpeg (you did not post the file names), the SD and HD samples play "fine" with -mc 2 (you need to skip a few bytes for the SD sample with -sb to not confuse faad), no matter if VDPAU is used or not.
I don't know why delay is needed for the Mobile sample (it does not use PAFF, so mc is not needed), but the problem is certainly not VDPAU-related.

Carl Eugen
Old 08-25-09, 03:21 PM   #24
rocha_samurai

Thanks for your support.

This command line:

Quote:
# mplayer -fs -vo vdpau:deint=1 -vc ffh264vdpau -sb 500 -mc 2 -delay -0.15 -ao alsa:device=hw=0.3 -ac faad Brazil.HD.ISDB-T.broadcast.ts.mpeg
plays fine with audio all 1080i HD stream recorded files, with HE-AAC v2 audio.

With the same command line for this file: Brazil.SD.ISDB-T.broadcast.ts.mpeg

a) Mplayer does not identify audio codec and video plays slow due to several faad errors.

b) If audio codec is forced with -ac ffmpeg, for example, Mplayer does not identify audio codec and video plays fine without audio and with no codec continuous errors.

Quote:
# mplayer -fs -vo vdpau:deint=1 -vc ffh264vdpau -sb 500 -mc 2 -ao alsa:device=hw=0.3 Brazil.Mobile.ISDB-T.broadcast.ts.mpeg
Questions, please:

1. Which codec should be used for this file Brazil.SD.ISDB-T.broadcast.ts.mpeg ?

2. Which comand & configuration should be used for mplayer to play dvb:// ? mplayer finds device and tunes in but does not play ts.

Thanks much. Best,

Carlos Rocha