Old 07-27-09, 03:44 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Ubisoft has a new PC anti-piracy solution debuting late this year

Story on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5323863/ubisoft-pl...lace-this-year

Quote:

Quote:
"Altogether on console, the piracy is low," Guillemot said. "On the PC the piracy is quite a lot. We are working on a tool that would allow us to decrease that on the PC starting next year and probably one game this year."
I would assume the one game this year is Assassin's Creed 2.

So, what is this "tool" do you think? Something like SecuROM, or something like EA's "always online" solution? Or maybe something simpler, like having the .exe be something you download after registering or somesuchthing?

Personally I hope whatever it is, the Steam version is exempt.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 03:49 PM   #2
K007

Default Re: Ubisoft has a new PC anti-piracy solution debuting late this year

will be still cracked.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 04:02 PM   #3
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Story on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5323863/ubisoft-pl...lace-this-year

Quote:

I would assume the one game this year is Assassin's Creed 2.

So, what is this "tool" do you think? Something like SecuROM, or something like EA's "always online" solution? Or maybe something simpler, like having the .exe be something you download after registering or somesuchthing?

Personally I hope whatever it is, the Steam version is exempt.
I'm curious too, since a software-based solution really isn't going to be any different... although I agree with you that I hope the Steam version is sans whatever it is they add, the way the article focuses on 'Extras' for the DS versions of games (which seemed to slow down piracy), I'm hoping I'll get my own Altair figurine with my copy of Assassin's Creed 2 as my copy protection
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 04:05 PM   #4
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I thought the Sim 3 solution was pretty good... I don't own that game and don't care to, but as I understand it you register the game and then get a ton more content only available to one key per person, or whatever.

What would be the problem with having the .exe on the website and you put a key in to download it, and that .exe will only work if the key you registered matches the key for your game or whatever? You could backup the .exe after that and never need the Internet again to install.

I'm just brainstorming.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 07-27-09, 04:10 PM   #5
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I thought the Sim 3 solution was pretty good... I don't own that game and don't care to, but as I understand it you register the game and then get a ton more content only available to one key per person, or whatever.

What would be the problem with having the .exe on the website and you put a key in to download it, and that .exe will only work if the key you registered matches the key for your game or whatever? You could backup the .exe after that and never need the Internet again to install.

I'm just brainstorming.
I wonder... but wouldn't a single .exe be easily hacked eventually to support any system?

I do like the additional content idea, though... obviously the naysayers will have a huge issue with this, but what if portions of the game just do not exist on your computer? Say some of the boss fights, or certain missions... they have to be downloaded 'on the fly' from Ubisofts servers... and if you're not registered, your SOL.

Again, brainstorming
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 04:13 PM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

something like Guild Wars , always on internet, and you only have a tiny 2-3mb exe that downloads files as it goes
Old 07-27-09, 04:14 PM   #7
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

That would work Velvet, work like a charm I'd say (If the .exe is bound to one key only). Look at DLC that requires a legal game. From reading the odd forum and just being round gamers, DLC is the biggest reason most will get a legal copy. They want everything, and if there is DLC they need it, even if they are forced to get a legal copy. As you said The Sims 3. The game was leaked a month before release, the game still sold like crazy, for 2 reasons, the bonus content, and also the target audience. Moms aren't real handy with torrent... LOL
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 04:17 PM   #8
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
something like Guild Wars , always on internet, and you only have a tiny 2-3mb exe that downloads files as it goes
The future might be cloud gaming, a central custer of PCs does the processing and we have a dumb terminal that just streams the graphics and takes input... I read this might be coming soon, a console that plays Crysis over the internet. I'll see if I can find the article.

Old 07-27-09, 04:20 PM   #9
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
The future might be cloud gaming, a central custer of PCs does the processing and we have a dumb terminal that just streams the graphics and takes input... I read this might be coming soon, a console that plays Crysis over the internet. I'll see if I can find the article.
that is not what i said, and cloud gaming will not work, at least not for next 50+ years. tech is simply to slow.

people are complaining when you buy a bad monitor with input lag, or wireless controller input lag.

now can you image the input lag when a controller signal would have to travel tenths, hundred or thousand miles, cloud gaming would kill all type of gaming that requires quick action reflexes.

cloud gaming might be ok for turn based games, and that is about it
Old 07-27-09, 06:05 PM   #10
LurkerLito

And the biggest problem with the "cloud gaming" BS is that you have to pay monthly fees to play it. If that is the future then I won't be a gamer anymore. I won't pay someone a monthly fee for the right to buy full priced games that are unplayable if I don't pay a monthly fee. I thought the tech for some of those services were interesting, but once they said you have to pay a monthly and buy games on the system I knew the system would never work. It's like if MS said you have to buy XBLive Gold account or you can't even play your single player games on the XB360. That just is never going to work IMO.

As far as Ubi's new protection I don't really care what it is, but if it has limited activations screw it I won't buy the product even if they price it at $25. Limited activation games, no matter how much it costs them to make the game, IMO are only worth $10 shipped to my door max. I refuse to buy them till it hits that price like Mirror's Edge PC .

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:19 PM   #11
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
As far as Ubi's new protection I don't really care what it is, but if it has limited activations screw it I won't buy the product even if they price it at $25. Limited activation games, no matter how much it costs them to make the game, IMO are only worth $10 shipped to my door max. I refuse to buy them till it hits that price like Mirror's Edge PC .
Steam version of Mirror's Edge had no activations, and launched the same day as the retail version.

Old 07-27-09, 06:31 PM   #12
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
that is not what i said, and cloud gaming will not work, at least not for next 50+ years. tech is simply to slow.

people are complaining when you buy a bad monitor with input lag, or wireless controller input lag.

now can you image the input lag when a controller signal would have to travel tenths, hundred or thousand miles, cloud gaming would kill all type of gaming that requires quick action reflexes.

cloud gaming might be ok for turn based games, and that is about it
you aren't thinking forth demensionally.