Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-09, 05:01 AM   #61
K007

Default Re: F U Carmack!

but isnt rage3d a fps? i've never played a fps with a gamepad before..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 08:28 AM   #62
TheANIMAL

racing/fps hybrid apparently
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 08:49 AM   #63
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

I wonder how much driving there will actually be, since he talks like its a racing game or so controller depends on it.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 08:52 AM   #64
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
there is nothing wrong with politely representing our interests to the development community. Buyer discretion is a powerful tool for change. There is no need to take the continued marginalisation of PC gaming lying down.
Correct. And by NOT buying the PC version, you guys are going to tell him that he's justified in sticking with consoles.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 08:52 AM   #65
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I wasn't saying that we'd have to switch disks for the PC version.

Think of it this way:

Blu-Ray disk can hold 100% of the game

A DVD can only hold 40% of the game (yeah, thats just a random number).

The game can only be split into two parts for the Xbox because it is an open world game and the disks are required to stream the content, so they only get 80% of the game data between two DVDs... either by cutting graphics quality or content.

With the PC, they could provide 3 DVDs with the data just split up in irregular ways... but if they want to take the easy way out (and possibly save on production costs), they could simply split it exactly the same way as the Xbox version. This would give PC players 80% of the game data, simply because of cost and convenience, not because of what the platform can handle.

I doubt they'd do this to us, but it really irks me that its even a possibility for a platform that is built on cutting edge technology.

I was going to say "It'd be like if one of the founders of PC gaming made a multiplatform game and neutered the PC version." but that's pretty much exactly what the situation would be if id did this.
I doubt they would do that. I would expect them to finish the game completely, then concern themselves with cutting down the amount of data. The main problem with multiple discs on the 360 is that the company has to pay royalties for each disc. So the motivation to cut it down on the PC isn't there, imo.

But, software companies have neutered PC versions before

Also, the whole console vs. PC thing is really annoying to me as well. SERIOUSLY, WHO ****ING CARES?! If you like PC, buy the PC game, and if you want the console version, buy that one then. Enough of these PC fanboys constantly complaining about how superior PC is in order to try and justify their platform, which requires no justification. PC is great, graphics and performance are better, but consoles are taking off because of their appeal to casual and hardcore gamers. And neither of these platforms is going anywhere. So leave it alone...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 08:56 AM   #66
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
That automatically makes the Computer version the best, as for the controls, if what they say is true i'll just bang in my USB 360 controller and play it with that, imo it's the standard gamepad for pc now, and is as important for computer gaming as your keyboard and mouse.
More people need to have this attitude. What makes the PC the best, and most versatile gaming platform, is that you can use any controller scheme that you like, as well as always having the best gaming hardware available to you.
Old 07-29-09, 09:03 AM   #67
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
More people need to have this attitude. What makes the PC the best, and most versatile gaming platform, is that you can use any controller scheme that you like, as well as always having the best gaming hardware available to you.
Despite what I said above, PC fanboys continue to try and justify their platform. Amazing.

It's as if the PC fanboys on this site think that the entire PC gaming industry is on this forum reading their comments and looking for guidance.
Old 07-29-09, 09:52 AM   #68
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Despite what I said above, PC fanboys continue to try and justify their platform. Amazing.

It's as if the PC fanboys on this site think that the entire PC gaming industry is on this forum reading their comments and looking for guidance.
I don't know if I misread your comments, or if I miscommunicated in my last post. My post was aimed at PC Fanboys, because they constantly try to prop up their platform of choice, by tearing down consoles, rather than emphasizing the strengths of their own platform. I'm predominantly a console gamer these days. The only games I play on my PC are Blizzard games. If it weren't for the absurd cost, I'd go Mac in a heartbeat!

It just irks me that when a console style game or console centric game gets "ported" to the PC, the PC fanboy community lashes out at the developer, when they should just plug in the gamepad and play. Gamepads are another control mechanism that the PC supports, yet the PC fanboy crowd shuns it.

Old 07-29-09, 10:51 AM   #69
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
I don't know if I misread your comments, or if I miscommunicated in my last post. My post was aimed at PC Fanboys, because they constantly try to prop up their platform of choice, by tearing down consoles, rather than emphasizing the strengths of their own platform. I'm predominantly a console gamer these days. The only games I play on my PC are Blizzard games. If it weren't for the absurd cost, I'd go Mac in a heartbeat!
It appears I am the one who misread your post lol.

Quote:
It just irks me that when a console style game or console centric game gets "ported" to the PC, the PC fanboy community lashes out at the developer, when they should just plug in the gamepad and play. Gamepads are another control mechanism that the PC supports, yet the PC fanboy crowd shuns it.
Yea I can agree with that. I like consoles because of their ease and there are some really good games out there. But for multi-platform development. The games should always be designed for PC, then have that version ported to 360 and PS3. And that is from a guy who mainly plays console games currently lol.

And with how widespread and easy to use 360 controllers are becoming on the PC, there really is no room for complaint. Hell, I played Devil May Cry 4 on PC and used a 360 controller lol. (that game is an AMAZING port btw)
Old 07-29-09, 11:14 AM   #70
Medion

Quote:

Yea I can agree with that. I like consoles because of their ease and there are some really good games out there. But for multi-platform development. The games should always be designed for PC, then have that version ported to 360 and PS3. And that is from a guy who mainly plays console games currently lol.
I'm actually ok with making the game for a console, and then porting to the PC, if done right (as you stated, DMC4 is an awesome example). If they just make the console the baseline, and port to the PC, then the PC can get an upscaled version, and use the same gamepad. This gives the PC gamer the option of getting an enhanced version of the game.

And yes, I do want them to make the console version the baseline. Sure, it would require heavier system requirements, but if it's a straight port, it will cost less. They should still be able to recoup their money. I don't want them tearing the game down to run on a Pentium 4 with 512MB of RAM.
Old 07-29-09, 03:26 PM   #71
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

You guys make nice points and all, and I am a console fan sometimes myself, but it's not PC fanboyism to say a mouse is better for an FPS, and this game is predominantly an FPS, last I knew, and thus maybe we have a right to be concerned when they say we will want to play it with a gamepad.

They probably mean for the racing sections or whatever, but still, hearing iD of all companies is concentrating on a controller for an FPS hybrid is just freaky.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 03:31 PM   #72
fizzelopeguss

Quote:

And with how widespread and easy to use 360 controllers are becoming on the PC, there really is no room for complaint. Hell, I played Devil May Cry 4 on PC and used a 360 controller lol. (that game is an AMAZING port btw)
The 360 controller for windows is about the only decent thing to come out of the whole games for windows fiasco, standardised, plug and play functionality...quite comfortable to boot.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote