Default Re: F U Carmack!

Is that why you suck mullet? ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 09:46 AM   #87
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I don't think so... I don't think you can even get the wired ones new anymore, they're all wireless now.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Controller/dp/B000B6MLTQ

EDIT: Just saw CaptN's post lol
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 10:36 AM   #88
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodelf View Post
afaik he hasn't done a whole lot to contribute to pc gaming growth lately anyway.
If it isn't rocket's that take him away from pc's, it's going to be something else with carmack.
He doesn't semm that driven anymore anyway.
Lol. Yeah, Carmack why aren't you pumping out 3 games a year!

Dude the guy works for one of the smallest dev's in the world, and has pumped out more influential software than almost anyone. You're right that since Quake 4, Quake Wars, and anything else that's used ID Tech 4 there haven't been any meaningful releases on PC's. But how long do you think it takes a small team to write a quality engine. He has ID Tech 5 finished and the game for it nearly finished, with work started on Tech 6. That's not great? Only Crytek competes from a tech standpoint, and they have released far less. CryEngine 3 may see some dev support, but 2 and 1 were total fizzlers. Did you bother to look how prolific the Quake 3 engine was? Quake 2, Quake 1? Half Life 2 still has some Quake 1 code in it lol. Many of the techniques used in TODAYS games were pioneered by him and brought to fruition by him. Stencil volumes probably being the last. Projection maps for shadowing, compressed textures, specular highlights, lots of complex effects, and a whole lot of stuff that I would need to google to find.

The man is a true genius. The AAA devs produce great work, but no one programmer influences the field of computing like he does. His games the last 6 years may not have been groundbreaking from a gameplay standpoint (they weren't), but were between AA and AAA depending on who you talk to, what your tastes are (reviews show Quake 4 and Doom 3 to be AAA I believe. That aside though, literally EVERYONE uses something he either directly invented, pioneered, or popularized by offering an elegant code for the problem.

I'd say Crytek is going to be very influential in the future, as their programmers are clearly ahead of the curve, but iD is the benchmark for technology innovation at this point. Who els? Epic? Lol, the only thing Epic did really well was Unreal I engine. Their games have certainly been a step below ID's, although if you count Gears of War Epic does have iD beat 2006 on.

But I don't see merit for complaints like yours. I'm not singling you out, but I've heard this from a lot of people, and I don't see how it has any ground. It's a fairly rediculous notion. I'm sure that with Id being partnered with Zenimax, we will not only see Bethesda's technology take a great step forward, but Id's stuff will both come out faster and benefit from a gameplay standpoint. I think we should expect Id tech 6 to come out late 2011, which will be quite fast compared to the Tech 5 - Tech 4 gap.

What other single programmer is even spoken of by name? Cliffy B? I meant known by name for his technical prowess and not his haircut and obsession with metal fallices. Tim Sweeney is clearly a B if Carmack is an A, and he is the closest I can come up with. Crytek's work seems much more collaborative.
Old 07-30-09, 10:41 AM   #89
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
That automatically makes the Computer version the best, as for the controls, if what they say is true i'll just bang in my USB 360 controller and play it with that, imo it's the standard gamepad for pc now, and is as important for computer gaming as your keyboard and mouse.
Thank god, someone with reason. Anyways, it is so unlikely that Rage will work poorly with mouse/keyboard that its laughable and not worth discussing. Carmack could port code from any project in the last 12 years for the controls, I don't see why he should be concerned with PC controls at this point. It makes perfect sense for his OCD butt to stick with controller only testing for now. He wants to make his first console outing a memorable one.
Old 07-30-09, 10:43 AM   #90
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
You know this how?

Ms. ATi used to be Mr. ATi?
I'm Mr. he's Ms. we met in Mexico. We did the "grab butt" test and I found that he had balls. That sealed the deal for me

hey honey
Old 07-30-09, 10:45 AM   #91
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I am pretty sure JC said the PS3 will have higher quality textures due to BlueRay capacity of disk so no real limitation for game file size. For X360 Microsoft charges extra licencing fees for each disk for a game, this made JC (at least to me) mad or frustrated, so the X360 will be on a single DVD with lower quality due to MS licencing of per DVD disk leading to an extra cost. The pc version I thought will be the same or better then the PS3 version. If PC version is the X360 version then that would suck.

I hope this game also supports Macs and Linux but wondering if it is OpenGL friendly. This I've have not heard one way or another.

For me it would be nice having a good FPS with good controller reponse but also KB and mouse as well. I will judge the game, if I buy or not, once I see some reviews and see some feedback.
With the kind of compression he's using this is surely not true. Maybe some perfunctory tex. layers will be higher quality on PS3, like the normal map, but this surely will not be noticeable. Compound the technological advantage Blu-Ray has for texture storage with PS3's difficulty streaming those textures and memory capacity issues, and I doubt we will see anything but near parity.
Old 07-30-09, 02:25 PM   #92
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Bluray streaming is an issue for them, I would think. You can store 50GB on one of those suckers but that doesn't mean you can get it off the disc properly. If Rage requires a 20GB install or something on PS3 I will laugh my ass off.

As for us, the simple fact of the matter is that storage for a PC game is not an issue. The game could ship on 10 DVDs and it would impact the production cost in a very minor way, and hard drives have been huge for years now, no need to worry about install size.

The FUD article has no quotes about the game being "cut." Comments have been made about what they are going to do to fit the game on the 360, but PC has never been mentioned as an issue in this regard. If one version will be "cut" it will be the 360 one, but I bet all versions will be exactly the same.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-09, 08:13 PM   #93
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
I can't game with out this.
Looks comfy, is that an analogue stick? "gaming" keyboards should come with analogue sticks IMO.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 09:58 PM   #94
Quick420

I'm gonna read this entire post again just to see for myself how many people JC has let down.I mean c'mon carmack,dont forget the first unreal engine.But we still loved you.This idea of a stripped down pc-version whatsoever you want to call it smells like a sell-out.His kids need new wee's too(is that how you spell it?)I'm confused again in Canada....so this means Q5 is console portolio as well?
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 10:01 PM   #95
Quick420

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
You know this how?

Ms. ATi used to be Mr. ATi?
MUhahaha^^
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 12:25 AM   #96
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick420 View Post
I'm gonna read this entire post again just to see for myself how many people JC has let down.I mean c'mon carmack,dont forget the first unreal engine.But we still loved you.This idea of a stripped down pc-version whatsoever you want to call it smells like a sell-out.His kids need new wee's too(is that how you spell it?)I'm confused again in Canada....so this means Q5 is console portolio as well?
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! He's not letting anyone down!!!

This is by no means a direct attack to you, but PC gamers are going APESH!T over the fact that he wants there to be proper support for gamepad controls. At no point is he saying "meh, let's screw over pc gamers". He's got the mouse+keyboard formula pretty much set in stone, so the devs are devoting resources to make sure the game feels right with a gamepad. Now everyone is crying heresy.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote