Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-09, 06:39 PM   #1
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan
Default AT&T Uverse or TimeWarner Road RUnner Turbo....

Pretty simple thread. I currently have TW Cable and Road Runner Turbo... to be honest I like it and the internet is pretty fast. The only donwside is upload is a bit lacking vs. the download. I am moving in 2 weeks and was debating switching it up a bit and trying AT&T uverse as they advertise 15mb/5mb opposed to my 15mb/2mb... plus 300 channels vs. my 125 channels all for only about $7 more a month than what im paying now.

The rough questions is... have any of you used both of these services... and which did you like best. I am kind of sceptical about switching to an unknown service. So far... I read about pros. and cons. to both all over the internet with no clear winner. The main thing I read is AT&T uverse works great... when it works... and if it goes down... good luck getting customer support. With TW I have never had any problems that were not fixed in 4 hours or less.

Fire away!
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 06:56 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: AT&T Uverse or TimeWarner Road RUnner Turbo....

Uverse is so much better then any cable provider. Not only do you get remote control of your DVR when your not home but the quality of service is on another level. The system is bogged down with a retarded menu guide that is slow and you can watch anything on your DVR on any other TV in the house.

Oh and the internet is also faster and more reliable, its fiber optics so your not sharing your bandwidth with anyone else. It's a dedicated connection between you and AT&T. It's hard to get support for uverse at times because when it goes down everyone in the area goes down, not just a select number of houses... they only have so many techs to send out. AT&T doesn't hire contractors to install the service, everyone that goes to your house is hired and trained by AT&T.

Im not saying all this because I work for AT&T (I work for wireless anyway) but because I switched recently from Brighthouse to Uverse and its night and day difference. It's awesome, no delay when watching on demand or changing channels and the picture quality on my Panny TV is great.
Old 07-29-09, 07:34 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

would you mind running this?
http://www.speedtest.net/

Old 07-29-09, 07:38 PM   #4
Greasy
1337 Noob

One thing to remember about uverse is that the last mile uses old school phone line. This means the further you are from the vrad (the ATT box near your hood) the slower it will be.

I switched from RR Turbo about three months ago, and we're about 2800 feet from the vrad. I am able to pull the 25MB profile, but I will not be able to get the new 32MB profile they are rolling out soon. I have MAX18 (18D/1.5UP) internet only. I didn't use their TV because that would cut into the internet speeds. Remember currently they max sync your RG at 25MB.

I will say that it has been way more reliable than RR though.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 07:54 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
One thing to remember about uverse is that the last mile uses old school phone line. This means the further you are from the vrad (the ATT box near your hood) the slower it will be.

I switched from RR Turbo about three months ago, and we're about 2800 feet from the vrad. I am able to pull the 25MB profile, but I will not be able to get the new 32MB profile they are rolling out soon. I have MAX18 (18D/1.5UP) internet only. I didn't use their TV because that would cut into the internet speeds. Remember currently they max sync your RG at 25MB.

I will say that it has been way more reliable than RR though.
It's not the last mile (atleast not in FL), Its Fiber up to the box near your house and then from it to your house... less then half a block (for me its one houses over). The speed limitation is how far the vrad is from the box near your house for us, then again my neighborhood is less then 5 years old.
Old 07-29-09, 07:56 PM   #6
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48

umm the only good thing about uverse internet is the download speed. The upload speed is actually 1.5MB/s. Everyone complains about it online. I only get around 150-160kb/s.

If you can get FIOS, you need to get that because it is alot better. It is really the only internet provider with good upload speed. (Besides comcast I believe)
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 07:57 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
would you mind running this?
http://www.speedtest.net/

Not running uverse internet, only tv. I'll have my friend run a test for me since he has the entire package. =\

I get free DSL and I don't get any discount on uverse yet so im waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 View Post
If you can get FIOS, you need to get that because it is alot better. It is really the only internet provider with good upload speed. (Besides comcast I believe)
I dout he can get FIOS since Telecoms don't share wires. If AT&T provides service to that area then Verizon or Embarq can't.
Old 07-29-09, 08:09 PM   #8
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Im in an older area right now so my speeds are kind of lame... I will be moving to an area only about 10 years old So far... I still can't decide!! Ahhhh!! Maybe to make it easier... fast Internet Down & Up is way more important to me than TV. As a matter of fact... I rarely watch TV which is why I only have a basic 125 Channel package as far as that goes. :P As far as TW goes... it's a month to month contract and I can switch whatever and whenever... does AT&T have that ability? I was getting mixed singals on the phone with them about that. I guess I need more opinions before I decide

It's also critical I can remote desktop to my PC and use SSH on my linux box from work. Also, I was reading that uverse has issues with torrent files? Is this true?
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-09, 08:14 PM   #9
|MaguS|

I can't say what they are offering there or what their restrictions are but in Orlando I haven't heard of any torrent blocking or bandwidth limitations. I do know that in Orlando there are no contracts with uverse.
Old 07-29-09, 08:18 PM   #10
Greasy
1337 Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
It's not the last mile (atleast not in FL), Its Fiber up to the box near your house and then from it to your house... less then half a block (for me its one houses over). The speed limitation is how far the vrad is from the box near your house for us, then again my neighborhood is less then 5 years old.
You are correct, all new neighborhoods are wired with fiber by ATT now, but they still limit your profile to the same as those of us that aren't so fortunate. Stupid if you ask me, but according to ATT they want to keep the user experience the same for all customers.

As for the upload, 1.5 is great for us poor saps here in Charlotte. You would think in that TWC would offer some crazy speeds in the city they are based in right? Wrong our turbo is only 10/.5, so me going to 1.5 was heavenly. Now I wanna see some DOCSIS 3 here in charlotte without a silly ass 100GB monthly cap, and I'm going back to RR.
Old 07-29-09, 08:24 PM   #11
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

I kinda enjoy Comcast.

These figures are a bit low since i got downloads going too.

Got the 50 down shaws why? Why not.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 07-29-09, 08:33 PM   #12
Greasy
1337 Noob

Wish TWC would jump on the DOCSIS 3 bandwagon like Comcast did.