Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-09, 05:19 PM   #1
cpd2009

Exclamation XFX nVidia GeForce 6200 issues under Windows XP

Hello there. Before I get started, I will go into my system specs and background. My system is getting close to 10 years old, but Windows XP and Linux still run excellent on my desktop PC. I used to have an ATI Radeon 9200 card, but support for the card seems to have stalled as there are no Windows Vista or Windows 7 drivers, and I can no longer use the proprietary ATI driver under Linux systems as those only support Radeon 9500 and above. Thus, the reason why I bought an XFX branded nVidia GeForce 6200. I learned that it is the nVidia equivalent to the ATI Radeon 9200, but it has better driver support under Linux and Windows XP, especially Windows 7. Now, my specs...

Intel Pentium III Processor at 1ghz
640mb RAM (upgradeable to 1.5gb)
nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 4x/8x graphics card
160gb Hard Drive
30gb Secondary Hard Drive (Linux dual boot)
ASUS TUV4X Motherboard

Here is my problem. I play lots of casual games from PopCap and Alawar Entertainment, and even on a system of my age, the 2D graphics performed really well on my old ATI Radeon 9200 card. But, after I installed the nVidia GeForce 6200 in my system, my games no longer run properly. In Chuzzle Deluxe, playing the game for a long while would cause the entire system to freeze up requiring a reboot, while in another game, Jumpin' Jack, the game would freeze on the second level requiring you to terminate the application. The worst part is after Jumpin' Jack crashes, no Direct3D game or application will run until the system is rebooted.

Under my Linux installation (PCLinuxOS 2009.2), the GeForce works wonderfully with the proprietary drivers provided by the distro. 3D and 2D OpenGL games work great without crashing or freezing. Because of this, I can rule out the possibility of a faulty or failing graphics card.

For Windows XP however, I tried every thing under the sun, such as changing the AGP settings in the BIOS, using different driver versions, and using Driver Sweeper between each driver installation. I also tried to change the 3D settings, though most are confusing such as "Conformant Texture Clamp" or "Anisotropic Filtering".

Is there anything that I can do to help the drivers work under Windows XP, or is the card just not going to work under my current Windows XP installation.

Last edited by cpd2009; 09-24-09 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarification of a few things
cpd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 06:39 PM   #2
cpd2009

Default Re: XFX nVidia GeForce 6200 issues under Windows XP

Anyone?
cpd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote