Default Re: Official Technet Thread

anyone using forefront?

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/c.../us/demos.aspx
Old 08-20-09, 03:55 PM   #158
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
It looks interesting. I'm gonna play around with it this weekend.

My job just purchased a 500 GB notebook HD for me to install Win7 on. I can't wait to get home and do that!
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 04:01 PM   #159
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
I wonder how different, if at all, this is from Windows Defender.

For what it's worth, Windows Defender has surprised me It's pretty light-weight and not intrusive at all.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 04:15 PM   #160
Dr.Nick

Windows 7 XP Mode RTM is up on MSDN and should also be available on Technet. Grab it while its hot
Old 10-18-09, 09:39 PM   #161
UberRN69

Finally got myself a subscription. It's pretty awesome I must say. Have Windows 7 Ultimate on both my computers, plus I actually have a legitimate copy of Office 2007 on my rig. I went in with a co-worker, so only cost me $135.
Lian-Li Case, MSI 890FXA-GD70, AMD Phenom II 965BE OC'd @ 3.9GHz with ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED, OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600, XFX HD 5870 1GB with AC Accelero Twin Turbo Pro @ 920/1250, X-Fi XtremeGamer, WD Caviar Black 500GB x2 in RAID 0, WD Caviar Black 500GB for Backup, Pioneer DVR-115DBK & LG Blu-Ray GGC-H20LK, KINGWIN LZG-700 GOLD 700W, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
UberRN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 11:07 PM   #162
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Yes, the same key can be used on different pcs for multiple activations. I have two very similar quad core boxes that I've tried to move hard drives between, and it required a reactivation. I've reactivated the install on the new pc, as well as perform fresh installs using the same key.
I was just going to ask about that. I just renewed my subscription and grabbed myself Win7. They seem to have changed how the keys work....last time I had my subscription you were only given one key for each product, and it was allowed to be activated on different computers 10 times. But now you can request up to 10 retail keys, which to me implies that they are regular retail keys....which can only be activated on a single machine...

But if what you say is true, then maybe each of the 10 "retail" keys can still be activated 10 times?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 06:14 AM   #163
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
I was just going to ask about that. I just renewed my subscription and grabbed myself Win7. They seem to have changed how the keys work....last time I had my subscription you were only given one key for each product, and it was allowed to be activated on different computers 10 times. But now you can request up to 10 retail keys, which to me implies that they are regular retail keys....which can only be activated on a single machine...

But if what you say is true, then maybe each of the 10 "retail" keys can still be activated 10 times?
Yeah they seem to have changed it. But it says "retail" keys and if you look in their faq it says that all keys labeled retail have multiple activations. So I dont know anymore

Quote:
RTL - This retail key allows multiple activations
And you can get 10 keys for windows 7 and 10 keys for windows 7 N. The only difference is that the N version doesnt have windows media center but you can install manually. So its really 20 keys that may have multiple activations each one

And more info:

Quote:
Q: Can I determine how many activations are remaining for my keys, if activation is required?

A: No. When a Microsoft product requires activation (such as Windows Vista), the product keys provided with your subscription allow a limited number of activations. The product keys available through your subscription can have one or more activations per product key. Multiple Activation Keys for older products typically are 10 activation keys. As subscribers often have legitimate needs to install and reinstall software more often, we are working to increase activations available for keys, or to enable issuance of additional keys. Going forward we plan to continue to support this business need and increase the number of activations for subscribers, or enable multiple keys to be claimed.

IMPORTANT - If you use products that require activation, many allow up to 30 days usage without activating. If you re-image your computers more frequently than every 30 days, you may want to consider NOT activating them if you have that option based on the product you are installing.

If you deplete activations for a key, you may be able to claim additional keys for that product. Additional keys would have their own set of activations.

If you are unable to claim additional keys and you have depleted all activations on ALL keys claimed, you can request additional keys by contacting your local Customer Service Center (click the Support tab above). A Customer Service Representative will validate your request and will submit the request to have additional keys provisioned for you. The additional keys will be claimable from the site.
What I can determine is that the retail keys from technet have multiple activations. But no idea how many
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:53 AM   #164
Redeemed

I'm thinking of getting a subscription to this as well. They have one for $349 but it really doesn't go into detail as to what that $349 will get me- is there any way I can find this out?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-10, 01:51 AM   #165
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I'm thinking of getting a subscription to this as well. They have one for $349 but it really doesn't go into detail as to what that $349 will get me- is there any way I can find this out?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...88&postcount=4

and more, that list was from August 09, more was addded since.
Old 03-10-10, 02:11 AM   #166
Redeemed

For $349, yearly- I'd get all that and more???

Really?
Old 03-10-10, 02:28 AM   #167
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

everything is basically 10 retail licenses, even if stop being a member after year, all the licenses will continue to work

just don't do anything stupid, like trying to sell the keys or give them away
Old 03-10-10, 03:15 AM   #168
Redeemed

Quote:
everything is basically 10 retail licenses, even if stop being a member after year, all the licenses will continue to work

just don't do anything stupid, like trying to sell the keys or give them away
Well, I'd plan to use the keys for my:

(1).Mom's computer
(2.)Little Sister's computer
(3.)My Gaming Rig
(4.)My Laptop
(5.)My Friend's Desktop
(6.)Same friends' 2nd desktop
(7.)Same friends' 3rd desktop
(8.)Same friends' 4th desktop
(9.)Same friends' wife's laptop

Which leaves me with one key left over. Is this not allowed and if so- why? I'm not selling the copies so it's zero profit for me...