Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-09, 03:25 AM   #13
Rakeesh

Default Re: I think gaming is pretty much dead for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
BioShock 2 is in my top.
I was pretty disappointed with the original bioshock (the plasmids felt ultimately useless once you got past the "cool I can freeze/shock/burn this guy" part and made the game kinda feel like just another FPS, but the storyline and setting were good enough to make it kinda worthwhile) but the second one looks like it might be neat since it looks like they are going to make the plasmids a bit more integral to how you use your currently selected weapon, so it may be a nice change from the traditional FPS as of late.

The game I am probably looking forward to the most is starcraft 2. Overall most FPS games are just looking like more of the same lately, and some RTS games like supreme commander I just can't stand (ultimately the story comes down to a chess match between two people controlling a bunch of robots - bleh, whatever happened to the gory days of people dying for their noble general?)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 04:43 AM   #14
Badboy_12345

You're not interested in Brutal Legend?
You are dead inside
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 04:48 AM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Well I understand what he means by consolised. Basically a lot of the depth has been removed from the game in order to reach a more casual audience, and it makes the game a bit less interesting to your more traditional gamer.

This is invariably what happens with console games. The controls only offer a fraction of what a PC can do so the game has to be made more simple. Whether this is good or bad is ultimately up to the player to decide.
"Consolizing" is a technical thing... 16:9 ratio, blurry textures, limited area... things like that are console-influenced.

The general dumbing down of games and such is mainstreaming, which would happen no matter what the hardware involved was, due to simply having a growing game market.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 04:48 AM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
You're not interested in Brutal Legend?
You are dead inside
Not on PC.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 06:48 AM   #17
Ywap

Call of Jaurez: Bound in Blood was a huge disappointment to me. Simple and over-scripted Call of Duty style gameplay with endless respawning enemies until reaching trigger point + recharging health seem to be what people like nowdays. Seeing how consolizied and dumbed down most games are today paints a pretty ugly picture of the gaming future
Old 08-04-09, 07:38 AM   #18
Destroy

Quote:
Well I understand what he means by consolised. Basically a lot of the depth has been removed from the game in order to reach a more casual audience, and it makes the game a bit less interesting to your more traditional gamer.

This is invariably what happens with console games. The controls only offer a fraction of what a PC can do so the game has to be made more simple. Whether this is good or bad is ultimately up to the player to decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
Call of Jaurez: Bound in Blood was a huge disappointment to me. Simple and over-scripted Call of Duty style gameplay with endless respawning enemies until reaching trigger point + recharging health seem to be what people like nowdays. Seeing how consolizied and dumbed down most games are today paints a pretty ugly picture of the gaming future

This. Seems required thought process has been purposely removed from most games nowadays.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 08:14 AM   #19
Logical

Modern Warfare 2
Bioshock 2
Dark void
Alan Wake
Just cause 2
Section 8
PES 2010
Diablo 2
Mass Effect 2
Aion
Singularity
Dirt 2
NFS: Shift
Batman Arkham asylum
The Old Republic

Just to name a few off the top of my head...

PC gaming is at a prime imo...now not only do we get the PC exclusive RPG's, the odd FPS and Sims that we did 5 years ago, but we get a lot of console ports...some awesome and a few not worthy. Either way as a PC gamer its a win win situation.

Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 08:22 AM   #20
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Below is a list of games that are coming out, including the holiday blockbusters, and there's not one game on that list that I am really excited about, there must be something wrong with me or I'm getting old I guess... everything feels rehashed or reused or consolized...

I kind of would like to try Mafia 2 (although it's a sequel that just looks a bit better)... and L4D2, but this really feels like it should be an expansion pack not a whole new game... then there's Project Offset that didn't even make the list, yet that's probably the most intersting game out there, to me that is...

Can't say I've ever been this dis-interested in new game releases... ever... what's up with that...

Vanz
I know how you feel. The only upcoming games I'm even a little excited about are L4D2 and AVP. There's others I'm sure I would enjoy, but no "must haves". I mentioned parting out my gaming rig to my wife the other day and just grabbing a decent laptop, that didn't go over very well

I still haven't decided. I need something really innovative to rekindle the interest or I may be done.

Old 08-04-09, 08:34 AM   #21
stereod

Unhappy Re: I think gaming is pretty much dead for me...

I'm losing interest in gaming too, don't really know why. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or maybe because everything feels like it's been done numerous times before.

Recently there have been only three games that really exited and hooked me just like in the good old days - Mass Effect, Portal and The Witcher.
And now looking at the upcoming games I'm only interested in Rage and Mass Effect 2.
Core i5-2500K | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC | ASUS P8P67 | Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3-1600 2x4GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 6Gb/s | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W | Cooler Master USP 100
stereod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 10:58 AM   #22
VISTREL

Quote:
I think gaming is pretty much dead for me...
Think positive. Now you'll have time for gym, clubs, camping, socializing, women (if you're single).
VISTREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 12:54 PM   #23
kuddles

It's possible you're just burned out and need to take a break from the hobby for a while. Lots of people have that experience, myself included. Getting worked up about it and/or trying to force yourself to enjoy it is just going to exacerbate the problem.

Personally, I'm in the opposite boat. As someone who has been gaming off and on since the mid-80s, I don't think I've been more overwhelmed with titles I'm interested in then I have been over the past couple years.
Old 08-04-09, 01:13 PM   #24
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:

The main thing I was laughing at is how he is complaining about consolized games, but yet wants to play L4D2, which is basically the most basic, and "consolized" game I have seen yet.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote