Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which cooler would you suggest?
Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 Extreme 1 5.26%
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 14 73.68%
Other- please post what cooler you recommend and why. 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-09, 10:53 PM   #25
Roliath

Default Re: Suggestions please...

I voted for the TRUE, look for a Cogage if you want to save some cash (it still offers stellar performance).
also I hate to link to other forums, however you will want to check out [H]'s i7 heatsink roundup as it provides some very good information.
Old 12-29-09, 12:56 AM   #26
Redeemed

Okay, so I just tried playing the original DOOM (bought it from Steam, all id games for like $35) and about half way through the colors just went wierd in the game. So I exit- and everest is reporting about 94*C!

I'm only using the stock cooler, stock thermal grease, and the proc isn't oc'd any (well, if you exclude turbo mode).

I cannot live with this. Time to make a purchase.

Newegg does not carry the Boram, neither does FrozenCPU. So it looks like that is out of the question. I'm going with the Ultra 120 Extreme from FrozenCPU.

My new question is- I've heard people recommend installing a second fan for push-pull operation. Where can I get the clip for a second fan? Will the HSF come with an additional clip? Cause I'd like to purchase the second fan and clip when I get this cooler (probably this Friday is when I'll place the order). Also, what fan would ya'll recommend I get?

Thanks ya'll. Your input is much appreciated.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 01:51 AM   #27
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Okay, so I just tried playing the original DOOM (bought it from Steam, all id games for like $35) and about half way through the colors just went wierd in the game. So I exit- and everest is reporting about 94*C!

I'm only using the stock cooler, stock thermal grease, and the proc isn't oc'd any (well, if you exclude turbo mode).

I cannot live with this. Time to make a purchase.

Newegg does not carry the Boram, neither does FrozenCPU. So it looks like that is out of the question. I'm going with the Ultra 120 Extreme from FrozenCPU.

My new question is- I've heard people recommend installing a second fan for push-pull operation. Where can I get the clip for a second fan? Will the HSF come with an additional clip? Cause I'd like to purchase the second fan and clip when I get this cooler (probably this Friday is when I'll place the order). Also, what fan would ya'll recommend I get?

Thanks ya'll. Your input is much appreciated.
Good lord! What are you doing to that thing to make it run at 94C?

Either your heat sink isn't installed properly or you're using a vcore of like 3 volts.

Don't most CPUs shut off once they get into the 70C range as a fail safe?
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 02:03 AM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Good lord! What are you doing to that thing to make it run at 94C?

Either your heat sink isn't installed properly or you're using a vcore of like 3 volts.

Don't most CPUs shut off once they get into the 70C range as a fail safe?
I was quite astonished to see those temps my self. Maybe everest wasn't reporting them accurately. Idle tempst are a bit high IMO- staying around 50 - 60*C. Seems rather high. As to voltage- everything is stock, I've not changed a single thing. Might be worth venturing into the BIOS to be certain all is well.

However, I'm still getting the cooler. I noticed FrozenCPU has an option to include a clip for an additional fan. So that's covered. However, I still don't know what fan to get. What do ya'll recommend? I'm looking at ultimate cooling power here, so I don't care if the fan is an additional $20. If it's worth it, I'll get it.

Thanks ya'll!
Old 12-29-09, 02:09 AM   #29
Redeemed

CPU-z reports my voltage is less than 1v. Granted, system is idle now so not sure what it'd spike up to under load. But everything is stock so it shouldn't be too high.

Also- I'm using the stock heat sink and I hate the stupid mounting system. It is possible that the HSF might not be firmly against the CPU. Maybe one of the HSF legs isn't completely inserted through the mounting hole on the mobo- don't know but it'd be worth checking.

Anyhow, just played some doom3 and one core did get close to 90* again, the rest where in the 70 - 80 some odd range. This is concerning.
Old 12-29-09, 02:22 AM   #30
CaptNKILL
CUBE

If the Socket 1366 heat sink uses the push pins like the Socket 755 ones do, then that's very likely.

I've had a hell of a time installing any heat sinks with push pins. I can't freaking stand them.

You'll have to take your board out to install the new heat sink anyway, but if you want to double check your stock heatsink the best way to install them is to do it outside the case. Its 100x easier to be sure all 4 pins are fully locked when you can see them from all angles.

Honestly, I'd do it as soon as possible. CPUs are not meant to run that hot and you're going to damage something if you keep pushing it over 70C. Over 90C is just crazy.

According to Intel, the CPU isn't designed to handle over 67C:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLBCH
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 02:51 AM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
If the Socket 1366 heat sink uses the push pins like the Socket 755 ones do, then that's very likely.

I've had a hell of a time installing any heat sinks with push pins. I can't freaking stand them.

You'll have to take your board out to install the new heat sink anyway, but if you want to double check your stock heatsink the best way to install them is to do it outside the case. Its 100x easier to be sure all 4 pins are fully locked when you can see them from all angles.

Honestly, I'd do it as soon as possible. CPUs are not meant to run that hot and you're going to damage something if you keep pushing it over 70C. Over 90C is just crazy.

According to Intel, the CPU isn't designed to handle over 67C:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLBCH
It does use the exact same push-pin setup.

Went into the BIOS- all was well and reported temp was 33*C solid. Never went up or down. Loaded windows back up, took a loot at the settings in Everest. Only thing I changed was adding the North Bridge and the VRM to the side bar. Now it shows the max CPU temp being 48*C (was 58 when at 3% usage). Highest so far has been that 58*, with the lowerest being about 42*. So I'm thinking Everest *might* have been off earlier.

Either way, I'm gonna' look into tomorrow. Could be a false alarm but better safe than sorry.

I'm still ordering that HSF, just to be certain.
Old 12-29-09, 06:50 AM   #32
betterdan

Holy crap Redeemed, I'll give you $200 for that cpu so I can warm my house with it and drop my gas bill down.
You better check that heatsink/fan immediately and get a good cooler on it order before you have to buy another cpu and try again.

Old 12-29-09, 11:07 AM   #33
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
I have two TRUE Blacks Performance PCS sent me for the CES builds but they did not have 1566 brackets (they also send the non-clip fan brackets). Unfortunately I probably have to send them back since I did not use them.

IF they do not want them back I will sell you one at a discount and then spend that money on Performance PCs stuff so they still get money back if you agree.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26114
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=24804
Darth- I really appreciate that. Only, I notice there is no fan included. Would you be able to recommend me a good pair of fans for a push-pull setup?

And yeah, I'd be okay with this. Including your discount total cost will probably be right about what the True120 extreme goes for.

Andy, the slightest CPU usage bumps my temps up into the 50's- but the HSF isn't even warm to the touch. I'm thinking Everest might be reporting the temps wrong.

In a bit I'm gonna' fire up a game for a second just to try and get the temps up, and see if the HSF gets warm at all. At 94*C it should burn my skin.

In the event Everest is off in what it's reporting, what are some other good programs I can use to report CPU temperature?
Old 12-29-09, 11:10 AM   #34
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Darth- I really appreciate that. Only, I notice there is no fan included. Would you be able to recommend me a good pair of fans for a push-pull setup?

And yeah, I'd be okay with this. Including your discount total cost will probably be right about what the True120 extreme goes for.

Andy, the slightest CPU usage bumps my temps up into the 50's- but the HSF isn't even warm to the touch. I'm thinking Everest might be reporting the temps wrong.

In a bit I'm gonna' fire up a game for a second just to try and get the temps up, and see if the HSF gets warm at all. At 94*C it should burn my skin.

In the event Everest is off in what it's reporting, what are some other good programs I can use to report CPU temperature?
Coretemp and Realtemp
Old 12-29-09, 11:11 AM   #35
betterdan

Real Temp is what I use to check cpu temps.
Old 12-29-09, 11:17 AM   #36
Redeemed

Yeah, I just got everest to report near 70*C and the HSF still wasn't warm, or even hot for that matter. I'm starting to feel a bit better. Gonna' fire up a game real quick and see what happens. If HSF stays cool I'll not be too concerned.

Darth, you're awesome buddy! Hope PPCs is okay with this.