Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which cooler would you suggest?
Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 Extreme 1 5.26%
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 14 73.68%
Other- please post what cooler you recommend and why. 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-09, 12:25 PM   #37
Redeemed

Default Re: Suggestions please...

Soon as I exited D3 reported temp was low 60's. HSF still not warm to the touch. Gonna' fire up the original DOOM. That's where I first had a problem. Will report back in a few minutes.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 12:27 PM   #38
betterdan

Could the heatsink not be warm because it isn't making good contact with the cpu? I wouldn't push it too hard Redeemed without making sure there isn't really a problem with temps first. Try again with another temp program.
Old 12-29-09, 12:35 PM   #39
Redeemed

Okay, played doom again, and the colors went all wierd once more. Instantly touched HSF- still not warm. However, I am noticing the mobo appears to feel a bit "warm". Not hot by any means- but warm. Temp reported by everest was near 70- not 90.

Hmm....

I'm thinking Everest is off in it's reporting of the CPU temperatures. The warmth I felt from mobo was not enough to be alarming- it's about what I'd expect to feel. If the CPU got near 60*C under load then that is about how warm I'd expect it to feel. Which seems about right. Just idling I cannot feel any heat at all from the HSF or the mobo directly below HSF. I'm thinking my temps are fine, just everest is reporting them wrong.

Here's another kicker- I've been gaming on this rig since I assembled it maybe a month or so ago. Lots of C&C 3, L4D2, Crysis, etc. Most games are using more GPU than CPU I know- however I'm gaming on a small monitor (1024x768 max res) so I'm sure more stress is put on the CPU than would be at a higher resolution. I'm doing all I can to put as much of the work load on my 8800s as I can- even rocking SLi 32xAA.

Anyhow, I'm not 100% certain what to think. Gonna' look into those other programs ya'll recommended. And grab me a bowl of oatmeal.
Old 12-29-09, 12:40 PM   #40
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Real Temp is what I use to check cpu temps.
CoreTemp and RealTemp are both reporting comparable tempst to what Everest is.

Gonna' check the HSF make sure it's on good and tight.
Old 12-29-09, 12:58 PM   #41
Redeemed

Okay- got my system apart, took the mobo out. Firt thing I checked for was signs of damage from extreme heat- don't see any (thank God).

However, I did note that one of the push pins was not through the hole, at all. So three are, one is not, causing the HSF to be a bit "off". Gonna' remove it, clean it an the CPU and apply some silver-based thermal grease. Then reseat the HSF and put her all back together.
Old 12-29-09, 01:41 PM   #42
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Okay- got my system apart, took the mobo out. Firt thing I checked for was signs of damage from extreme heat- don't see any (thank God).

However, I did note that one of the push pins was not through the hole, at all. So three are, one is not, causing the HSF to be a bit "off". Gonna' remove it, clean it an the CPU and apply some silver-based thermal grease. Then reseat the HSF and put her all back together.
Glad you figured it out. That would be why your HSF was barely warm.

If you aren't going to overclock I honestly wouldn't bother with an expensive after market cooler. It will do absolutely nothing other than make your core temps go down, which won't matter unless you're looking at it.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 02:00 PM   #43
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Glad you figured it out. That would be why your HSF was barely warm.

If you aren't going to overclock I honestly wouldn't bother with an expensive after market cooler. It will do absolutely nothing other than make your core temps go down, which won't matter unless you're looking at it.
Yeah, I think there is something wrong with the push-pins. It just didn't seem like they were locking in their "extended" position. I think after while one or more might work it's way loose again. Eitherway, so far tempst are incredibly lower. Cores 3 and 4 are bouncing between 26*C and 34*C. Before, even with only 3% CPU usage- temps would jump to 60* some odd degrees. Now, I've yet to see it breach 40. W00T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
Nevermind on the TRUES. I am going to send them back.
NP buddy. Thanks for offering though. I don't trust these push pins so I'm gonna' buy a True120 come this Friday. Right now temps are rock solid though. Gonna' get a game of C&C3 in with my buddy to test her out.
Old 12-29-09, 02:25 PM   #44
betterdan

Redeemed if you don't want to spend that much for a True you can get the Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V for $37.99 at Newegg with free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-029-_-Product
That's what I've got on my cpu overclocked to 3.8 and it idles at 30C now that I've got a case with good airflow.

Also, with either the True or the Xigmatek make sure your case is wide enough to fit them, they are big suckers.

Old 12-29-09, 02:59 PM   #45
Redeemed

Just exited C&C3 after a heated game, highest temp was 45*C. I think she's fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Redeemed if you don't want to spend that much for a True you can get the Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V for $37.99 at Newegg with free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-029-_-Product

Also, with either the True or the Xigmatek make sure your case is wide enough to fit them, they are big suckers.
Hmm... I've heard so many good things about the True. But if the difference is just a few degrees I don't think it's worth twice the price. I've heard incredible things about that Dark Knight cooler as well.

I'm placing my order on Friday, so I've got time to think it over.
Old 12-29-09, 03:17 PM   #46
betterdan

CaptNKILL gave me this link before comparing heatsinks. It's a little old but still useful
http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=2292&page=5

Also they list the top heatsinks for socket 775 (they say the i7 reviews are coming)
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
Not sure why the TRUE isn't in their top picks.

Edit: Actually here is the most up to date listing with even more heatsinks tested http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...articleID=2473
Old 12-29-09, 03:51 PM   #47
Redeemed

Tuniq Tower ranked really high. So did that Dark Knight cooler. Might be worth it to get that Dark Knight cooler instead of the 120. Similar performance for near half the price? Ye sir.

Thanks betterdan.
Old 12-29-09, 04:56 PM   #48
betterdan

No problem Redeemed. Just remember, like they said the TRUE doesn't come with a fan so your results will depend on what fan you get but then again the same could be said for any cooler, you could just replace it's fan with something else.

That Tuniq looks very interesting and I like the fan being inside.

I I was thinking about putting a double fan on my Dark Knight cooler but with my new case the temps are so low it would be a waste of money and noise.