Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which cooler would you suggest?
Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 Extreme 1 5.26%
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 14 73.68%
Other- please post what cooler you recommend and why. 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-09, 04:41 PM   #49
Redeemed

Default Re: Suggestions please...

My temperatures seem to be rather consistent now. For 100% load, I think those are spot on for this stock cooler- do you guys? I mean, 4 cores and 8 threads pegged 100% at near 3Ghz on the stock cooler is a bit extreme. I doubt Intel designed the cooler to handle that kind of load. They probably assumed that anybody purchasing an i7 will be using after market cooling anyways.

Furthermore, I can't recall the last time my processor usage exceed 15%, let alone 100%. Unless ya'll think otherwise, I'm content. Still gonna' get a better cooler come Friday, but I can live with these results. For the most part, she's staying right around 40-45*C. Much better than earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
No problem Redeemed. Just remember, like they said the TRUE doesn't come with a fan so your results will depend on what fan you get but then again the same could be said for any cooler, you could just replace it's fan with something else.

That Tuniq looks very interesting and I like the fan being inside.

I I was thinking about putting a double fan on my Dark Knight cooler but with my new case the temps are so low it would be a waste of money and noise.
Well, I'm currently going back and forward with the Tuniq, 120 Extreme, and the Dark Knight cooler. I need to pickup a couple hard drives (gonna' do a RAID 0 array) so I might just go with the Dark Knight. If I go with the Tuniq or 120 Extreme, I'll have to put off my hard drive purchase. And right now I only have a single 500GB that only has about 80GB free- *all* of my family pictures, music, family videos, etc are on this one drive as well as Windows and all my programs. I desperately need a new OS and Apps drive so I can use this 500GB strictly for my data backup.

Got a couple days to decide what I'm gonna' do. Just glad she's runnin' cooler.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 04:46 PM   #50
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Redeemed, it's a good thing you covered up your location in your weather gadget. I was getting my stalker-pack-to-go ready
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 04:49 PM   #51
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Redeemed, it's a good thing you covered up your location in your weather gadget. I was getting my stalker-pack-to-go ready
Check yer' PMs.

Old 12-29-09, 05:08 PM   #52
betterdan

As long as you don't have any kids around you should be ok if Sazar comes around stalking in your area Redeemed.
Old 12-29-09, 05:11 PM   #53
Redeemed

Sooo.... I take it my temps are fine? I mean, I could invite Sazar and betterdan over to discuss this in further detail, but I figured ya'll could say the same here.

betterdan, check yer' PMs.

Old 12-29-09, 05:31 PM   #54
betterdan

Just checked my pms and no I will not do that on a rollercoaster.

I don't have an i7 cpu so I can't tell you what is normal but I don't think I would want mine hitting 78C.
Old 12-30-09, 12:07 AM   #55
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Just checked my pms and no I will not do that on a rollercoaster.

I don't have an i7 cpu so I can't tell you what is normal but I don't think I would want mine hitting 78C.
I don't either.

But considering my processor will more than likely *never* be at 100% usage ever again, I'm quite content with temperatures fluxuating between the high 20s and high 40s. This does seem normal and acceptable.

Also, considering all that the i7 is- and all that the stock cooler isn't- I find 78*C to be quite probable for the stock cooler. I'm not happy with that temperature- if my CPU where to be used so heavily and under such stress that it'd reach that temp again I'd be concerned. However, I'm merely interested in whether or not my HSF is working as it should- and I'm under the impression that it is.

It doesn't seem likely that a HSF as dinky as the stock one is adequate to dissipate the heat generated from 8 logical cores running at near 3GHz for any extended period of time. As such, the resulting high temperatures seems perfectly natural. Acceptable? No- but natural and expected.

This is why I'm looking to get a better cooler though- to ensure that under no circumstances my CPU reaches that high of a temperature again.

/Spock.
Old 12-30-09, 12:34 AM   #56
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

I am idling in the low 30s with my i7 and one fan on the TRUE. It can be lower though. Like a retard, when i was trying to put the heatsink on when i first built it (nevermind it literally took me like 30 mins to wrestle the backplate on, cause the holes were a tiny bit off), I smudged a big fat fingerprint right in the middle of the thermal paste
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-09, 12:42 AM   #57
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I am idling in the low 30s with my i7 and one fan on the TRUE. It can be lower though. Like a retard, when i was trying to put the heatsink on when i first built it (nevermind it literally took me like 30 mins to wrestle the backplate on, cause the holes were a tiny bit off), I smudged a big fat fingerprint right in the middle of the thermal paste

Bob, I love you!
Old 12-30-09, 12:46 AM   #58
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

It was my first official all-on-my-own-build. My fingertips were all torn up from the sharp metal things on the back of the motherboard . I am not taking that cooler off till computers harness the power to pleasure at will I will need more cooling for that occasion.....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 12:50 AM   #59
Redeemed

lol

I know what you're saying.

See- the first computer I built cost a whole $50. I didn't give a rotting rat's @$$ if I broke it. I started out with old anitquated crap and worked my way up. I do recall the first time I bought all brand-new parts and built my first semi-modern gaming rig. Was an AXP 1800+ on the ASUS A7V333 mobo, GF4 MX440 64MB DDR, with like 512MB DDR333 RAM, an 80GB IDE hard drive, and a pre SP1 copy of XP Pro. Man, that was neat!