Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-09, 03:44 PM   #37
Kaguya

Default Re: Red Faction mega deal on Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
So, they skip on the manufacturing costs, they skip on the royalties paid to retailers and they charge more... Yep, sounds like the perfect deal. (For them, not us...)
I honestly don't care one way or the other, so I don't know why I'm posting in this thread again, but based on what I've heard from a friend of mine who runs a database for a fairly popular online dating site, the cost of Internet bandwidth plus servers plus maintenance can easily make up the difference in retail boxing etc... and then some.

Obviously don't quote me, but there are more costs than we think with regard to digital distribution.

If we assume for one minute that all costs are equal between digital and retail, the biggest reason that digital is still the way I will purchase products the majority of the time is a) I can get it when I want it and b) they always have it in stock and to a lesser extent c) I'm not restricted by the limits of physical media.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 04:17 PM   #38
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectus View Post
Only if you specifically look for good deals. New games cost exactly the same in retail store and Steam in US. There might be some stores which sell it a bit cheaper, but those are the exception not the rule. On the other hand, in Norway EVERY game is 10-20% more expensive on steam than retail.
Well I just bought Wolfenstein for $39 and it would be $50 if it was on Steam. Batman is $40 on Amazon and $50 on Steam.

I was under the impression that Euros complaining about Steam prices were comparing the prices to Play.com and other discount sites, just like gogamer in the US. When they make their angry comparisons on the Steam forums they are always using play.com and similar websites with deep discounts. I once looked up the same games they were comparing on amazon France and found the prices the same as Steam prices.

I'm pretty sure Steam charges MSRP in all regions... if you find cheaper prices, it is because of discounts. Steam only does discounts during sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I'm guessing that it's a testament to how great Steam is as a product that people continually complain about the pricing? I know it sucks, but haven't we had enough of these threads? If you don't want to pay the price on Steam and can get it cheaper somewhere else, then get it somewhere else - if you want to use Steam as a service and are willing to pay their prices, then buy through Steam.
EXACTLY.

If it were any other store, people would just stop shopping there and that would be the end of it... Amazon.com in Europe seems to have this reputation. With Steam though, they act like it is an injustice... racism... bigotry... what-have-you.

It's a store... if it's too expensive, stop shopping there. I don't want to hear any more about it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 01:52 PM   #39
XDanger
Whaaat?

Steam download servers are very swiftly brought to their knee's when they offer a free weekend of anything decent, I don't think they spend that much on the infrastructure.
Old 08-13-09, 11:13 PM   #40
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

I don't believe Steam is making anymore money (profit) charging different prices to different Countries. I think it has to do with company costs and taxes (that may be different from Country to Country depending what hoops Steam has to go through and what taxes/restrictions/requirements the Country is imposing).
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 11:16 PM   #41
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
I don't believe Steam is making anymore money (profit) charging different prices to different Countries. I think it has to do with company costs and taxes (that may be different from Country to Country depending what hoops Steam has to go through and what taxes/restrictions/requirements the Country is imposing).
plus, steam doesn't set the prices, it's the publisher
Old 08-14-09, 11:50 AM   #42
shteve

Interesting article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8201332.stm

Apparently China is a better model for software sales (primarily digital distribution to PCs), and consoles cost too much to develop for. I thought China was the piracy capital of the world, and that consoles were the saviour of the software industry.

And FWIW, I don't mind about steam charging RRP, it just grates when it's called a "sale".
Old 08-14-09, 12:54 PM   #43
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
plus, steam doesn't set the prices, it's the publisher
I call BS on that.

Other digital distribution sites have the same games for cheaper than steam.
Thats because they sell in $ and not €. Steam had the same prices when it was $ and the game prices were okay.

Then they did the $=€ conversion and everything ****ed up. That was their own decision
Prices on steam = valves making NOT the publishers

Install this http://code.google.com/p/steam-prices/ and youll all see how ****ed up the prices are
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 06:25 PM   #44
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
I call BS on that.

Other digital distribution sites have the same games for cheaper than steam.
Thats because they sell in $ and not . Steam had the same prices when it was $ and the game prices were okay.

Then they did the $= conversion and everything ****ed up. That was their own decision
Prices on steam = valves making NOT the publishers

Install this http://code.google.com/p/steam-prices/ and youll all see how ****ed up the prices are
When Steam added other currencies they had to start charging the SRP in those currencies, per publisher agreements.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 09-12-09, 04:36 AM   #45
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Man, Red Faction is awesome! The original I mean... wowzers, I didn't remember it being this good at all.