Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-09, 12:33 AM   #13
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Default Re: Awesome Global Illumination in Cryengine 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Jonelo, I think more than half of your posts contain the word "deferred".
Dont be deferrist Capn!

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 01:06 AM   #14
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelo View Post
No , the second tecnique is not Deferred lighting , is a diferent thing . But they have a new "deferred lighting " tecnique for the Cryengine 3 , not is the classic deferred shading
yes and no, they're still using a fully deferred renderer, but the lighting technique is not standard deferred lighting. It runs an indirect lighting pass from a very low resolution spherics harmonics program based on some seminal work in 2004, interpolates this result, stores different quadrants in their corresponding areas as virtual point lights, the renders the lighting pass using all of that information, using a lighting volumes approach that is apparently very similar to Cascade Shadow Maps, except for lighting. It then combines those results with the SSAO occlusion data, and possibly a 2nd SSAO pass for direct occlusion. But it ends up being 2.33x faster apparently (140fps in a simple scene, no shadows, 400 light sources tho )

So all of this is deferred from the rest of the rendering passes, to avoid having to do this work many times over. Another way to put this is that the renderer is 100% a deferred render, but uses some alternative, but mostly compatible techniques for direct lighting & gi. When I say 100% deferred that is slightly erroneous, because I'm sure their handling of alpha & transparency is done IM, then somehow passing that transparency data to the deferred calculation side.
Old 08-11-09, 02:56 AM   #15
Section-9
Pixel Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Section-9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_pnqXLIg4

Found the video on youtube, pretty awesome stuff.

| Cooler Master HAF 932| AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz |Zalman CNPS9900ALED 120mm Blue LED | Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 (rev. 2.0) |G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 |LG 10X Blu-ray Burner |
Crucial SSD (2x64GB) Raid 0 + WD Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair TX850w | 2x Evga GTX 580's SuperClocked (SC) 1.5GB in SLI | Dell 24'' (1080p) |
Razer Carcharias | Klipsch 2.1 speakers | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |Saitek Cyborg keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming mouse |

Laptop:

| Alienware M14x | Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) |Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz | 8GB RAM DDR3 | 750GB 7200rpm | Hybrid Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M |14" WLED HD display (1366 x 768) |
Section-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 09:15 AM   #16
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

They shouldn't call this Global Illumination.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 12:59 AM   #17
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtomat74 View Post
I was going to ask if anybody has a list of games that used ANY of their engines besides the original FarCry, Crysis and Warhead...anyone know?

I too always wanted "more" games on those engines.
There are a few non-Crytek games using Cryengine 2 but none of them are very big...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine_2

I think we'll see more games using CE3 since it will be cross platform compatible. Its probably tough for any studio or publisher to approve the use of an engine that would require massive changes to port it to PS3 and 360.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 01:53 AM   #18
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
They shouldn't call this Global Illumination.
Huh!? It uses a pretty slick indirect lighting solution, why shouldn't they call it global illumination? It uses modifications of spherics harmonics philosophies & calculations, as well as occlusion solution approximations, all done in real time. So why isn't SSGI a proper name.
Old 08-12-09, 04:06 AM   #19
Chrisimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
There are a few non-Crytek games using Cryengine 2 but none of them are very big...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine_2

I think we'll see more games using CE3 since it will be cross platform compatible. Its probably tough for any studio or publisher to approve the use of an engine that would require massive changes to port it to PS3 and 360.
Regarding portability:

Quote:
The award-winning engine developer will show the powerful new “CryENGINE® LiveCreate™” system. CryENGINE® LiveCreate™ adds real-time multi-platform editing of game content to Crytek’s original What You See Is What You Play CryENGINE®3 Sandbox™ editor, allowing genuine, synchronized cross platform game development for the first time.

“CryENGINE® LiveCreate™ allows developers to work with a single editor, but see and play the results in real-time on PC, PS3 and Xbox360, hooked up to a single dev PC. The engine takes care of the conversion and optimization of assets in real-time; enables instant, cross-platform changes to any part of game creation and as a result materially increases the speed and significantly reduces the risk of multiplatform development. Multiple teams are no longer necessary for simultaneous cross platform development – all you need now is much larger desks!” said Carl Jones, Director of Business Development for CryENGINE.
http://www.crytek.com/news/
Chrisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 08:22 AM   #20
TheANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section-9 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_pnqXLIg4

Found the video on youtube, pretty awesome stuff.
That is seriously cool.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-09, 11:37 AM   #21
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakotlar View Post
Huh!? It uses a pretty slick indirect lighting solution, why shouldn't they call it global illumination? It uses modifications of spherics harmonics philosophies & calculations, as well as occlusion solution approximations, all done in real time. So why isn't SSGI a proper name.
Because of this:
Quote:
As shown in [TABELLIONLAMORLITTE04], it is sufficient to have only one bounce of indirect lighting to introduce the visual veracity even for movie production quality. Thereby, our research also does not take into account multiple bounces because of their unjustified computational complexity.
In this chapter, we introduce a new solution to the single-bounce diffuse global illumination problem for real-time applications. The chapter is structured as follows: first, we partially classify the previous research on this topic. We will describe some of our techniques attempted during the search for the best solution for this problem, outlining the inadequacies of the existing approaches within our constraints, in order to provide a better perspective for our current solution. A brief description of the technology is followed by detailed introduction into the algorithm and existing implementation challenges. We provide solutions to majority of problems and discuss how to combine our method with other lighting techniques. Finally, performance and quality results are analyzed.
BTW, for real GI you need Ray tracing method.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 12:33 PM   #22
agentkay

IMO, one light "bounce" is more than enough for computer games. After all the games are dynamic, there is no need to do thousands of indirect light reflections because visually it probably wouldn't be visible anyway and it would only waste resources.

Thumbs up from me to Crytek to implement such an efficient SSAO, SSGI solution, combined with unified shadowmap system and all that with a day/night cycle.

The aparment scene in that youtube clip impressed me most.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 06:34 PM   #23
TheANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
The aparment scene in that youtube clip impressed me most.
Same hear but i still feel that it looks 'messy" in quite a number of places,and it also looks too dark in shadows just generally speaking. Maybe that is the fault of having one light bounce, when really you need at least three or four for more photoreal feel imo.

Sometimes when i'm using an unbiased renderer i set the light bounces up to about 12 and just let it chug away for hours until i get teh result back andits generally quite convincing.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 07:21 PM   #24
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Same hear but i still feel that it looks 'messy" in quite a number of places,and it also looks too dark in shadows just generally speaking. Maybe that is the fault of having one light bounce, when really you need at least three or four for more photoreal feel imo.

Sometimes when i'm using an unbiased renderer i set the light bounces up to about 12 and just let it chug away for hours until i get teh result back andits generally quite convincing.
The number of light bounces is definetely an issue. And for true photon mapping you need high 10's of bounces before you get something approaching photorealism. The number of bounces for highly approximated solutions like this are probably quite different, because they are using techniques to emulate the look of higher spec gi solutions.