Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-09, 03:32 PM   #1
ostroffjh

Default Any hope for quadro4 750 XGL udner jaunty?

video: Quadro4 750 XGL
mobo: ASUS K7V333
kernel: 2.6.28
xorg: 1.6.0
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz attached

I recently replaced the motherboard and power supply in this PC (not the one I'm posting from, since it's still too unstable to actually use for any real tasks) and shortly thereafter upgraded from hardy to jaunty (Kubuntu) and have since had all sorts of X problems - mainly just X using near 100% of the CPU for lengthy periods, sometimes to the extent that I cannot even ping or ssh in from another machine.

I don't see a consistent story on the forums here or at Ubuntu or Kubunty, or on general Googling, so I'm not sure if it's even possible. I have tried all combinations I can think of with the nvidia drivers provided by Kubuntu, so the results I'm posting here are having uninstalled all of that, and used the 96.43.11 drivers directly from nvidia. (I have also tried 96.43.13, with the same results, although possibly not having tried every combination of settings.)

So, as far as I can tell, my quadro4 750 XGL is only good with the 96 series driver. Ubuntu forums and bugs seem to imply that this driver will not work with xorg >= 1.5.0, but I don't seem to be seeing the errors they talk about, so I'm just not sure.

In working through faq's and common problem lists, I've disabled AGP, with no change in results. I do see some Xid messages, but no other issues jump out at me. The one thing I know I still have to do is to see if there is a BIOS upgrade available - but note that I've also tried a few different AGP BIOS settings with no apparent difference, especially since I've now disabled AGP in the driver.

I did try the nv driver, with similar results, although I haven't followed that up very hard. I also tried the vesa driver, but can't get the resolution about 800x600. I might be OK using either of those, but I'd like to try the nvidia driver, if at all possible.

If you suggest any actions - please provide command lines, not menu choices, since I can only do useful work from an ssh session, not directly on the console, which also means things like xdpyinfo would be reporting on the wrong xserver.

Sorry to be long-winded about this, but most of the posts I've seen seem to go round in circles without any definitive results. I'd really like to know what's the best I can realistically expect to get out of this setup?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.0 KB, 118 views)
ostroffjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 02:31 PM   #2
ostroffjh

Default Re: Any hope for quadro4 750 XGL udner jaunty?

Some additional information: Setting AGP to 2X in the BIOS (instead of 4x) seems to improve performance quite a bit, but I've still gotten to an unusable system. This does suggest some sort of timing issue, which I suppose agrees with the present of the Xid errors.

Best result is still with NvAGP set to 0. I managed to run glxgears - with results ranging from less the 1fps to over 600fps (this is in sequential lines in the output from a single run).

With NvAGP set to 1, it displayed the nvidia logo (which I just realized it doesn't do with 0 or 2) and just hung there, requiring a hard reboot.
Old 01-01-10, 03:09 PM   #3
ostroffjh

Four months and no ideas at all? I did just notice something interesting, however. If I go to the nvidia download page, it tells me to use 96.43.13 for this card, but the card is NOT on the list of cards supported by the driver. Am I really SOL here?
Old 01-01-10, 05:13 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

96.43.* does support your GPU, it's listed in Appendix A of the README. Your bug report log indicates that the driver is having significant problems communicating with the GPU reliably. Since you just upgraded the motherboard and power supply, it seems likely that one of those hardware components is faulty or that the GPU is not seated correctly in the AGP socket. I'd suggest checking those components first. It's also possible that the new Linux kernel in Jaunty is buggy. Since the driver you used is the same as it was before, it's very unlikely that the driver is at fault here.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 06:44 PM   #5
ostroffjh

Thanks for the response. I just did see the listing in Appendix A. However, if you go to the driver download page, select that card, and then look at the "Supported Products" tab, the card is not listed, so it's really just a minor web-site documentation issue.

I'll try reseating everything, and check again. I've also had problems trying the nv and nouveau drivers, so it IS quite possible there is some hardware problem and not a problem with ANY of the drivers. I'm open to suggestions on how to track down this type of problem - it seems like it could be power supply, motherboard, or video card (assuming I confirm all connections are OK, which I think is the case.)

Also - in terms of kernel, I have since the original post moved from Kubuntu to Arch linux, now with a 2.6.32 kernel, and it's been the same with all kernels in between, so I don't think it's the kernel, even if it also isn't the driver.