Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-09, 05:45 PM   #361
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

To drive the point home that a retail-only release was a huge mistake on Raven's part, I happened to go to a nearby mall today to use up a gift card for clothes that has been in my pocket for a month and decided to drop by Game Stop to see whether they had Wolfenstein. Not only did they not have it, but I almost left thinking they had eliminated the PC section entirely. I did find it on the way out, though, on half of a freestanding display with the boxes turned sideways.

If I'm correct, in order to drive retail sales retailers actually have to purchase copies... so perhaps the failure of Wolfenstein to sell well on PC has more to do with the brick-and-mortar stores failing to purchase copies in the first place. Can't buy what doesn't exist.
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 05:55 PM   #362
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram View Post
i always purchase digital distribution games when possible. i find it very convenient, plus no cd needed to play and thats a huge bonus imo.
Same here. Plus I can usually get the tasty US prices. Even if i have to get the game gifted to me.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 07:47 PM   #363
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

I ONLY do digital distro. Steam FTW.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 07:54 PM   #364
K007
 
K007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Sydney
Posts: 9,406
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

I am still waiting for this game to show up on Steam, with USD pricing of course.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 08:27 PM   #365
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
To drive the point home that a retail-only release was a huge mistake on Raven's part, I happened to go to a nearby mall today to use up a gift card for clothes that has been in my pocket for a month and decided to drop by Game Stop to see whether they had Wolfenstein. Not only did they not have it, but I almost left thinking they had eliminated the PC section entirely. I did find it on the way out, though, on half of a freestanding display with the boxes turned sideways.

If I'm correct, in order to drive retail sales retailers actually have to purchase copies... so perhaps the failure of Wolfenstein to sell well on PC has more to do with the brick-and-mortar stores failing to purchase copies in the first place. Can't buy what doesn't exist.
Gamestop hates PC games, they actively ignore them and try to eliminate them. This is for multiple reasons, the most prevalent of which is no resale, which is how they make their money.

Best Buy is the absolute best choice for me in my area for retail games... they had Wolf on release, and even for $40. Unfortunately, with a lot of lower profile games they are slower to get them on the shelf.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 09:47 PM   #366
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Gamestop hates PC games, they actively ignore them and try to eliminate them. This is for multiple reasons, the most prevalent of which is no resale, which is how they make their money.

Best Buy is the absolute best choice for me in my area for retail games... they had Wolf on release, and even for $40. Unfortunately, with a lot of lower profile games they are slower to get them on the shelf.
I tried Best Buy (Futureshop in Canada) and they didn't have a copy either. Their PC games section is a joke... they have maybe... MAYBE five different games, none of which I'd want, and then a bunch of those terrible packs with card games, or other pieces of trash Walmart has better selection, but again here I am driving to multiple locations for a game when I could have just bought it online with no hassle, and been playing it long before I got frustrated from being stuck in traffic going from Walmart to Walmart until I get lucky
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 10:00 PM   #367
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

at my local best buy PC section is bigger then each console section.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 10:06 PM   #368
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
at my local best buy PC section is bigger then each console section.
Yeah, mine is two full aisle sides, whereas each console gets maybe one isle side at the most.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-09, 10:15 PM   #369
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

At my EB and Game the PC is a tiny little corner, 360 is biggest, followed by PS3 and PS2. Talking to the guy at the store, this is due to Steam (50% cheaper in AU) and most PC games are pre orders and there is no 2nd hand PC market.

Harvey Norman, now it has a big PC section.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 10:19 PM   #370
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

EB around here have almost no PC games.

Frys have HUGE PC section, really like shopping there, their PC section is about 3 times bigger then all consoles combined.

Also Microcenter PC section is about twice the size of all console sections.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 10:30 PM   #371
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

Big W (Walmart) here have a good sized PC section. Mostly budget and educational titles though. Target have a few copies of the The Sims 2 and MS Flight Sim.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 11:39 PM   #372
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Official Wolfenstein Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
EB around here have almost no PC games.

Frys have HUGE PC section, really like shopping there, their PC section is about 3 times bigger then all consoles combined.

Also Microcenter PC section is about twice the size of all console sections.
I went to grad school in northern Cali and I loved Fry's ... I miss it a lot

I think Steam really took off here when the Canadian dollar was higher than the US dollar a couple years ago, making it cheaper to buy online than retail. Space-wise the console and PC section of Futureshop is about the same, but the PC section is mostly empty shelf, while the consoles have so many copies of games that you have to spend all day flipping through to find what you want.

I'm just glad that there are options now. If you have good retail, then you just have more choice. For me, it often comes down to digital or Amazon, and I'm just not patient enough for Amazon
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.