Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-17-09, 01:24 PM   #13
JDiA

Default Re: Cevat Yerli on the Future of Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
Then people can **** off to console gaming if they are too poor to invest a bit into new hardware when their computer are outdated. They are very welcome to play CoD at 600p. If every damn developer would think like that we would be still stuck at DX6 with crap graphics. Technology wouldn't advance by as far as it did when nobody would push the limits. The "current gen" problem shows this pretty well, very few people are willing to push the limits but are rather greedy for profits and we are stuck with graphics that barely get better.

Also remember all the indrustries that are associated with commercial hard- and software products. Think if everyone would be stuck at the thought of "current tech is enough, we don't need faster and better hardware". All the companies would have much smaller profit margins and much lower revenues and we would litereally be stuck in technological stone age. I'm glad that the I7 @ 4Ghz is currently a high-end CPU, and not a PII at 400Mhz.

Again, I applaud people who are willing to push the technogocial limits and are willing to take risks and are NOT satisfied with "current tech".
Well people have '****ed off' to console gaming, and that relentless push for graphics over everything else has left PC gaming in the state it is. This isn't just about needing the latest and greatest, this is about a game that doesn't run with maxed settings on ANY hardware for years after the release. You may think your 8800GTX ran the game fine, but I couldn't be satisfied running Crysis on that.

I'd rather them design a game that can run on current high end hardware maxed at 30fps steadyish.

We wouldn't be stuck with DX6, because graphics could continue to move forward. A piece of software should be engineered to run on current tech, not future tech. If you want that, why not make a raytracing / streaming voxel game that will run in 2020. That's where your perfect game lies, obviously.
mobo Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | cpu Intel C2D E8400 | ram 4GB G. Skill | gpu EVGA GTX260 core 216 | hdd WD 500GB Caviar Black | psu Corsair 550W | os Windows Vista 64 | monitor Dell 2209WA | mouse Logitech G5 | case Antec Three Hundred
JDiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 01:32 PM   #14
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

mabye what Crytek should have done is shipped the game with High as Medium and Very High as High ...etc, then 2 years later released a patch and made available the Ultra High setting (which now is very high) and maybe even one higher setting - would that have made everyone happy?

Personally I don't really give a crap and could not get upset over the video settings in a video game...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 01:34 PM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiA View Post
The problem is how people feel about the stuff. I know there are people out there playing stuff like Oblivion and TF2 at lower than 360 graphics fidelity. Personally, my obsessive side comes out in any situation that isn't optimal that I have some control over.

I think a lot of people must be like me because there's a lot of people that were upset that they couldn't run Crysis right, and I understand that.

Running at medium as maxed may sound crazy, but those thoughts don't run through my head when playing on a console. You don't hear many people saying, 'if only they would have cranked up the settings in Halo 3...'

It may not be logical, but that's how people think about it, and Crysis is proof.
Well, you can't admit the problem is that you're a bit nutty at the settings page and then tell Crytek they have to change things because of it.

Crytek does not cater to your compulsion to max every setting regardless of your hardware. Removing the high end options because you can't keep your hands off them is treating you like a kid, and treating me like I'm irrelevent.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 01:36 PM   #16
JDiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
mabye what Crytek should have done is shipped the game with High as Medium and Very High as High ...etc, then 2 years later released a patch and made available the Ultra High setting (which now is very high) and maybe even one higher setting - would that have made everyone happy?

Personally I don't really give a crap and could not get upset over the video settings in a video game...
That would have been a really fantastic idea actually. Early game adopters would have been satisfied, and everyone would have praised the fantastic continuing support of Crytek for their game.

I think it just comes down to how long I've been playing games, and how much of a graphics ***** I can be.
mobo Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | cpu Intel C2D E8400 | ram 4GB G. Skill | gpu EVGA GTX260 core 216 | hdd WD 500GB Caviar Black | psu Corsair 550W | os Windows Vista 64 | monitor Dell 2209WA | mouse Logitech G5 | case Antec Three Hundred
JDiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 01:49 PM   #17
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiA View Post
Well people have '****ed off' to console gaming, and that relentless push for graphics over everything else has left PC gaming in the state it is. This isn't just about needing the latest and greatest, this is about a game that doesn't run with maxed settings on ANY hardware for years after the release. You may think your 8800GTX ran the game fine, but I couldn't be satisfied running Crysis on that.

I'd rather them design a game that can run on current high end hardware maxed at 30fps steadyish.

We wouldn't be stuck with DX6, because graphics could continue to move forward. A piece of software should be engineered to run on current tech, not future tech. If you want that, why not make a raytracing / streaming voxel game that will run in 2020. That's where your perfect game lies, obviously.
Then lower the settings, in PC gaming you have "options". If you want higher framerate, lower settings, but if you want to keep the settings high and have higher framerate, well guess what its time to buy a bit faster hardware.

I'm not a person who needed very high framerates, Crysis was actually pretty damn smooth even if the frames were in the 20s. Sure I could have picked medium settings but I did not because of personal preferance.

With consoles you don't have these options, you are stuck at a certain level, not only technogically but visually as well. Its everyones own choice if they want to pick that path. I certainly have not and will never support that crap.

If you don't have software that pushes the limit of current technology, why should others be motivated to make better hardware? There is no denial at all that if everyone is satisfied that the indrusty is less motivated to make things better (hardware and software).

You have to be realistic though, of course it makes no sense to produce software that will be usable in 2020, that would be totally idiotic but making software that can and will scale with the technological generations is a huge benefit. Again it will increase it's longevity and will not be stuck at a low resolution and low details, thats what you get with console gaming.

You get what you pay for.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 02:46 PM   #18
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

They should release a crazy-people's-patch then. Make very high / enthusiast settings unavailable. /Problem fixed.

I think it's a great working philosophy as well. Always having to have "the best", we've all been there, and I still do it on regular basis, but I at least try to suppress->understand->dispose of it
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 02:49 PM   #19
Logical

Too much talk on graphics and not enough talk on gameplay which imo Crysis lacked.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 02:58 PM   #20
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I find gaming to be pretty fun right now - sure everything has been geared to the console but I haven't had to upgrade any hardware in awhile and I can run everything thats comes out maxed with great framerate. So while the consoles may be holding back the graphics and industry right now, my wallet thanks this slow down. I'm not complaining at all with that statement. Batman AA, has me really excited - it runs great and looks great. Also, Wolfenstein may not be state of the art either but again its fun, runs and looks great on my current machine. As long as the ports are well done I dont see having to upgrade anything for awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-09, 03:08 PM   #21
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Too much talk on graphics and not enough talk on gameplay which imo Crysis lacked.
Did you even bother to read the thread title?

Crysis is still to this day the best looking game out there imho and that's really an amazing achievement all by itself.

I can't play crysis maxed out on my hardware so I play with lower settings which also gives me more incentive to buy a new gpu when they become available!
Old 08-19-09, 04:29 PM   #22
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Did you even bother to read the thread title?

Crysis is still to this day the best looking game out there imho and that's really an amazing achievement all by itself.

I can't play crysis maxed out on my hardware so I play with lower settings which also gives me more incentive to buy a new gpu when they become available!
Yes i read the thread title. I'm just merely pointing out that when Crysis 2 and probably every crisis after that is released the main focus is going to be on graphics. I find that a little funny really as the main thing that let Crysis down the most was the gameplay. Shouldn't they work on that a little more...Console owners wont find 'walking around a beach looking for the perfect screenshot' appealing at all.

Having a graphics engine that is scalable isnt anything new and Cervat is only pointing out that PC will still be better looking as it will be scaled down on consoles. Yeah so stating the obvious really. Expect to be getting 15fps at max settings with the most powerfull pc when it releases. I'm soo excited :/

We all know Crysis is the best looking game to date and for the foreseeable future. I just hope they spend a little more time focusing on actual gameplay for Crysis 2 and maybe even getting the multiplayer side to it right.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 04:39 PM   #23
Roliath

My dual 260's ran crysis fairly smoothly, my i7 and 285's kills it even with 4xAA

(to the post concerning performance in the beginning of the thread).

The SFF (phenom) runs it pretty well too on high, i think they are great engine developers and yeah I agree the story could use a ton of help.
Old 08-19-09, 04:44 PM   #24
bacon12

I wrote this about a week ago on Rude dogs site and it sums it all up about Crytek

Quote:
I just hope they spend more time and resources on the MP gameplay and listen to feedback. I would love to see this be very successful in that respect. All the technical stuff is what created the hype, but its not sustaining a large community.

The single players were great, after playing both the crysis' I can look back and say that it was technically the best ever done even to date. However it is severely lacking in any human touches, and felt like a game. It really lacks any personal touches that pull me in as a gamer.

I know that may sound crazy, but games like Bioshock, the Half Life series, and many others over the years have that element of pulling you in to the point that you forget that its a game. Without it games are missing the most important element, you. Its like they have no soul, and never take on a life of their own.

So unless there is a change at Crytek then they will really only be producing large, beautifully done, playable tech demos. I hope the engine sells well, and they all get rich God knows they have worked very hard.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote