Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-09, 08:29 AM   #1
reemfz

Post Recompiling NVIDIA drivers after Kernel update

Hi,

I am running Fedora 10 64bit and every time I perform a kernel update the X server dies. The only solution I know of is to recompile the NVIDIA drivers against the new kernel.
Kernel updates are quite frequent now days and I was wondering if there is a way to avoid reinstalling the drivers every time I get an update.

Would love to hear what other folks are doing.

Regards,
reemfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 09:16 AM   #2
a7v

Default Re: Recompiling NVIDIA drivers after Kernel update

I do know that Ubuntu and some other distros have a framework/system that automatically recompiles installed kernel modules on kernel upgrades. I'm sure there's something similar for Feodora but I forgot what the system/framework was called. Come to think about it might have originated in Feodora in the first place.
Graphics Cards: TNT2, GF 2 MX, GF 2 Pro, GF4 MX, GF FX 5500, GF 6600, GF 7600 GT, GF 9800GT
a7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 10:06 AM   #3
Milena

hello

there is currently no way to avoid reinstalling the driver after kernel updates if you're using the .run installer from nvidia's website. the recommend way in fedora is to do:
Code:
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i586 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64
and use that one which automatically update kernel modules. however it's not the most recent driver and i would suggest to stick to the nvidia.run installer and just reinstall it after kernel updates to have the latest features and bug fixes - fedora's repo is still using 185.18.14 at the moment.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752
Milena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 01:19 PM   #4
tadawson

I am not sure what you mean by "reinstalling the drivers every time" but that means, at least to me, that you feel that you need to reinstall the entire nvidia package, which is just plain not true. On a kernel update, and if you are using the ".run" packages, simply run "nvidia-installer -K" (note the capital K) and it will rebuild *just* the kernel module, and leave the rest in place. Takes maybe 10 seconds and then you are once again good to go . . .

- Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemfz View Post
Hi,

I am running Fedora 10 64bit and every time I perform a kernel update the X server dies. The only solution I know of is to recompile the NVIDIA drivers against the new kernel.
Kernel updates are quite frequent now days and I was wondering if there is a way to avoid reinstalling the drivers every time I get an update.

Would love to hear what other folks are doing.

Regards,
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 05:41 PM   #5
Lost Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "reinstalling the drivers every time" but that means, at least to me, that you feel that you need to reinstall the entire nvidia package, which is just plain not true. On a kernel update, and if you are using the ".run" packages, simply run "nvidia-installer -K" (note the capital K) and it will rebuild *just* the kernel module, and leave the rest in place. Takes maybe 10 seconds and then you are once again good to go . . .

- Tim
I prefer the -a -K options in order to also skip the "software license acceptance" screen as well!
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 11:17 PM   #6
primerib

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
I've been re-downloading and installing the .run packages too (I don't archive them locally). It seems that your suggestion doesn't work with Debian:

Quote:
linux:~$ sudo nvidia-installer -K
linux:~$ cat /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Tue Aug 18 20:13:42 2009
installer version: 1.0.7

option status:
license pre-accepted : false
update : false
force update : false
expert : false
uninstall : false
driver info : false
precompiled interfaces : true
no ncurses color : false
query latest version : false
OpenGL header files : true
no questions : false
silent : false
no recursion : false
no backup : false
kernel module only : true
sanity : false
add this kernel : false
no runlevel check : false
no network : false
no ABI note : false
no RPMs : false
no kernel module : false
force SELinux : default
no X server check : false
no cc version check : false
force tls : (not specified)
X install prefix : (not specified)
X library install path : (not specified)
X module install path : (not specified)
OpenGL install prefix : (not specified)
OpenGL install libdir : (not specified)
utility install prefix : (not specified)
utility install libdir : (not specified)
doc install prefix : (not specified)
kernel name : (not specified)
kernel include path : (not specified)
kernel source path : (not specified)
kernel output path : (not specified)
kernel install path : (not specified)
proc mount point : /proc
ui : (not specified)
tmpdir : /tmp
ftp mirror : ftp://download.nvidia.com
RPM file list : (not specified)

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
ERROR: No package found for installation. Please run this utility with the
'--help' option for usage information.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
linux:~$
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 01:15 AM   #7
Lost Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
I've been re-downloading and installing the .run packages too (I don't archive them locally). It seems that your suggestion doesn't work with Debian:
I've been doing this with Debian for many, many kernels now. First with Lenny and now with squeeze. I've compiled nearly every kernel revision since ~2.6.10.
Old 08-19-09, 02:40 AM   #8
primerib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I've been doing this with Debian for many, many kernels now. First with Lenny and now with squeeze. I've compiled nearly every kernel revision since ~2.6.10.
I just tried it and you can see by my log paste that it didn't work. Not that it should matter but I always use Debian testing (sorry, I don't keep track of the Toy Story names).

Let's start with this.. What package do you think it's looking for when it returns "ERROR: No package found for installation."?

Old 08-19-09, 09:13 AM   #9
Lost Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
I just tried it and you can see by my log paste that it didn't work. Not that it should matter but I always use Debian testing (sorry, I don't keep track of the Toy Story names).

Let's start with this.. What package do you think it's looking for when it returns "ERROR: No package found for installation."?
Wait a minute... What is "sudo nvidia-installer"?

Make sure you've purged all traces of debian repository nvidia drivers (including the glx packages) then use the drivers downloaded from this site. Once you do that let us know what the error codes are.
Old 08-19-09, 02:00 PM   #10
tadawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
Wait a minute... What is "sudo nvidia-installer"?

Make sure you've purged all traces of debian repository nvidia drivers (including the glx packages) then use the drivers downloaded from this site. Once you do that let us know what the error codes are.
sudo is an inexplicable attempt to avoid actually logging into a system for administrative purposes. While it *should* behave the same as actually being root, myself I have never used it . . . . and have never had a problem building a driver. I am not sure what environment gets passed to the command under sudo, and that may well have an impact on this situation. Note that the log does not show any kernel information either. Oh, you *DO* have kernel sources installed, right? Or did the initial install use a precompiled driver . . . . . that might be the package that is being referred to . . .

I suggest either su or login directly as root, and try it again . . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 02:16 PM   #11
primerib

Sudo gives superuser priviledges to regular users and works 99% as an alternative to actually logging in as root. I run many commands which require root including the .run's and have no problem what-so-ever so that can't be the problem.

There's no Debian packages to uninstall for since I've never installed the Nvidia driver via apt-get from the repository. The .run is the only source for the Nvidia drivers I've used.

Yes, I have kernel sources installed as I compile my own kernels (as debian packages via make-kpkg and installed with dpkg) and never used precompiled kernel packages (aside of an initial install obviously).

If anyone knows what package it's looking for that's returning "ERROR: No package found for installation.", that would be a great help. Thanks fellas.
Old 08-19-09, 03:01 PM   #12
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

You can't just run "nvidia-installer -K" because the installer package doesn't install the sources for the kernel module anywhere. You have to run it from the .run installer package. I.e.
Code:
   sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-<version>-pkg2.run -K
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote