Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-09, 10:59 PM   #13
fulwood_jp

Default Re: Cached images appears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysius View Post
It looks more like a problem with the usage of the memory. It's not initialized before usage and that is more a problem of the software or the driver than a problem of hardware.

And I have done some more testing. My problem seems to be a bug in some of the "Splash Screens" for KDE. I can only see that with the default "Leonidas" splash screen from Fedora 11 and not with the other splash screens (at least with KDE 4.3.0).
It's still a question though, if the nvidia driver should clear the memory before allocating, so that the bug does not become visible.
I received a new Quadra FX 570, and tested.
Oops, cached images appears, again!

I'm suspecting the mamory management system of the driver.
Just think.

Quadra FX 560 -- 128MB Memory -> OK
Quadra FX 570 -- 256MB Memory -> NG
9800GTS -- 512MB Memory -> NG
8800GTX -- 768MB Memory -> NG

That is, with over 256MB memory, we get the problem.
What change did the driver developper add to memory managemenrt system since 180.xx, I wonder?
fulwood_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 11:37 PM   #14
ledoc

Default Re: Cached images sppears

I think from 178 to 180 some default parameters of that GlyphCache and PixmapPlacement stuff were changed for G80 and newer GPUs.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 08:09 AM   #15
fulwood_jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
I think from 178 to 180 some default parameters of that GlyphCache and PixmapPlacement stuff were changed for G80 and newer GPUs.
Thank you for explanation.

But, another question:

Even with 177.82 (which doesn't display cached images), the value of glxgears is half of the
Quara FX 560's. Of course, I compare both under 177.82 driver.
I know, glxgears isn't a tool for benchmark test, though.

What causes this difference?
Old 08-22-09, 10:46 AM   #16
Lysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulwood_jp View Post
Even with 177.82 (which doesn't display cached images), the value of glxgears is half of the
Quara FX 560's. Of course, I compare both under 177.82 driver.
I know, glxgears isn't a tool for benchmark test, though.

What causes this difference?
According to wikipedia the memory bandwidth of the FX 570 is much smaller than the one of the FX560, that might be the cause. As far as I know the main work that glxgears does is memory related.

You should try some more realitic benchmark like any linux game that has a benchmarking mode. I can't name one at the moment that is free and does work with only 128MiB VRAM though.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 01:39 AM   #17
fulwood_jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysius View Post
According to wikipedia the memory bandwidth of the FX 570 is much smaller than the one of the FX560, that might be the cause. As far as I know the main work that glxgears does is memory related.

You should try some more realitic benchmark like any linux game that has a benchmarking mode. I can't name one at the moment that is free and does work with only 128MiB VRAM though.
The bandwidth is smaller!
Yes, it is. I checked the specs of both cards.

Then, I'll wait for the new driver, which intialize the over 256MB VRAM correctly.

Anyway, thank you so much, indeed.
Old 08-23-09, 02:22 PM   #18
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

It is not up to the driver to initialize pixmap memory allocated by X clients. If an X client allocates a pixmap and then displays it to the screen without drawing to it first, results are undefined. Results may be different between different video cards and different drivers depending on whether your pixmap allocations end up in video memory or system memory.

That said, it's possible, though unlikely, that the driver is simply ignoring a rendering request from KDE. It's much more likely that KDE is incorrectly expecting pixmaps it allocates to be cleared automatically.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 02:01 AM   #19
fulwood_jp

Default Re: Cached images appears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
It is not up to the driver to initialize pixmap memory allocated by X clients. If an X client allocates a pixmap and then displays it to the screen without drawing to it first, results are undefined. Results may be different between different video cards and different drivers depending on whether your pixmap allocations end up in video memory or system memory.

That said, it's possible, though unlikely, that the driver is simply ignoring a rendering request from KDE. It's much more likely that KDE is incorrectly expecting pixmaps it allocates to be cleared automatically.
I'm using the pure enlightemnet e16.1.0.0.001.
I never use KDE, at all.

But, do you mean, my problem is related with the enlightenment?