Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-03, 02:28 PM   #1
SIR_Taco

Default nForce Kernel Diff Patch Problems

patching the kernel goes very well (using 2.4.20)

however when I go to recompile the kernel after the patch I get the following error:

In file included from ide-cd.c:320:
ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for `slot_tablelen'
make[3]: *** [ide-cd.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers/ide'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers/ide'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_ide] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

if anyone can figure that out I'd be very very greatful.... (just kinda driving me crazy )

Thanks,
SIR_Taco (Phil)
SIR_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 07:01 PM   #2
SIR_Taco

Default may have answered my own question.....

Ok now...

my above kernel error refered to line 440 of the ide-cd.h header file... complaining about variable params.

soooooo... what I did (hopefully this doesn't screw something else up) was find line 440 in the ide-cd.h files and change:

__u8 short slot_tablelen;

to:

__u8 slot_tablelen;

this now alows me to do the 'make' portion of the kernel rebuild and finish the compilation

now I don't recommend anyone try this, since this could potentially cause problems, until I've completely tested and retested it... I'll post back here to let you know how it's going.

Thanks,
SIR_Taco
Old 06-28-03, 07:12 PM   #3
bwkaz

You're probably using gcc 3.3, and this kernel is based off 2.4.20. 2.4.20 was released before gcc 3.3 was, which means that even though a bunch of the backward-compatibility crap that used to be acceptable to gcc 3.2.X (stuff like this line in ide-cd.h) is no longer acceptable, your kernel hasn't been updated to get rid of that crap, so the build fails.

You could downgrade to gcc 3.2 (and although a lot of people, kernel developers included, would recommend downgrading all the way to 2.95, I don't think it's necessary, at least not on x86), or you could find one of the many patches addressing the gcc 3.3 + kernel 2.4.20 problems that are floating around.

Or, you could get 2.4.21 from kernel.org and use that instead, because that has all the fixes in it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 07:17 PM   #4
SIR_Taco

Never thought of that...

that would make complete sense... and of course make my problem N/A to this forum too hehehe

I think I prefer to hack the kernel code a bit to get GCC 3.3 to compile it
I'm using the gentoo 2.4.20 custom kernel and I really like the features they've added to it

but thank you you're the first person to have any insight on my problem (and it was always in front of my face)

Thanks,
SIR_Taco