Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-09, 12:52 PM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: openoffice.org (footnotes) question

Based on your post history, this will continue on forever as you apparently are never satisfied with any response anyone gives, even when they answer exactly what you ask. Stop ****ting on the thread. Don't respond to this, just move on to another thread.

That's all.

EDIT: And yes, this was an edit.
Old 08-23-09, 01:01 PM   #14
ViN86

Oh and I would like to take this opportunity to actually answer the OP's question.

Footnotes and Endnotes in Open Office:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...s_and_endnotes

Quote:
Footnotes appear at the bottom of the page on which they are referenced. Endnotes are collected at the end of a document.

To work effectively with footnotes and endnotes, you need to:

* Insert footnotes.
* Define the format of footnotes.
* Define the location of footnotes on the page; see Chapter 4 (Formatting Pages).

You can also change footnotes to endnotes and vice versa.
Inserting footnotes/endnotes

To insert a footnote or an endnote, put the cursor where you want the footnote/endnote marker to appear. Then select Insert > Footnote from the menu bar or click the Insert Footnote Directly or Insert Endnote Directly icon on the Insert toolbar).
Using the Insert Footnote Directly icon on the toolbar.

A footnote (or endnote) marker is inserted in the text, and the cursor is relocated to the footnote area at the bottom of the page (or to the endnote area at the end of the document). Type the footnote or endnote content in this area.

If you use Insert > Footnote, the Insert Footnote dialog box is displayed. Here you can choose whether to use the automatic numbering sequence specified in the footnote settings and whether to insert the item as a footnote or an endnote.
Insert Footnote dialog.

If you use the Insert Footnote Directly or Insert Endnote Directly icon, the footnote or endnote automatically takes on the attributes previously defined in the Footnote Settings dialog box.

You can edit an existing footnote/endnote the same way you edit any other text.

To delete a footnote/endnote, delete the footnote marker. The contents of the footnote/endnote are deleted automatically, and the numbering of other footnotes or endnotes is adjusted automatically.
Defining the format of footnotes/endnotes

To format the footnotes themselves, click Tools > Footnotes. On the Footnote Settings dialog box, choose settings as required. The Endnotes page has similar choices.
Defining footnote formatting.
Changing footnotes to endnotes and vice versa

To change a footnote to an endnote or vice versa, right-click on the footnote/endnote anchor and select Footnote from the pop-up menu. This opens a dialog box where the change can be made.
Click on the link for images.
Old 08-23-09, 01:07 PM   #15
seeker
AKA seekermeister

I don't recall asking any questions. My responses to you were simply a courtesy, whether you understood that or not. Before you editted your post, you said that you are a Christian, but the manner of your last post doesn't demonstrate that, however your behavior is not my responsibility. It would appear that none of those who posted responses before had any consideration for forum ettiquette, or the effect on this thread, so your last remarks are somewhat out of place.

If you cared about the shape of this thread, you wouldn't continue as you have.

EDIT: BTW, I'm glad to see that you took the time to actually try to answer the OP's original question.
Rig 1: HAF 922, X2 4400+, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe , 4x1GB DDR400, 2x500GB, 1x80GB & 1x250GB + ESATCASE2 w/2x1TB HDs, LG CH10LS20 & GH22LS50, Samsung SH-S202N, Asus Xonar D2X,Creative 5.1, GTX460 SC, FusionHDTV7 Gold RT, Acer X233H, Arris TM520G, Cisco E3000, Scythe Kama, CM RS600 PS,HP 5510v,APC BX1000, XP x64, W7 & Kubuntu 9.10

Rig 2: Antec SX1040BII, A8N-SLI, 2x1GB DDR400, 8800GTS, 1x500GB & 1x1TB HDs, Liteon LH-20AIL and Pioneer DVR-111, Audigy 2 ZS, Creative T20 2.1, Antec 500SP, W7 x64 & XP MCE
Old 08-23-09, 04:59 PM   #16
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
I don't recall asking any questions. My responses to you were simply a courtesy, whether you understood that or not. Before you editted your post, you said that you are a Christian, but the manner of your last post doesn't demonstrate that, however your behavior is not my responsibility. It would appear that none of those who posted responses before had any consideration for forum ettiquette, or the effect on this thread, so your last remarks are somewhat out of place.

If you cared about the shape of this thread, you wouldn't continue as you have.

EDIT: BTW, I'm glad to see that you took the time to actually try to answer the OP's original question.
That's funny considering how many members have told me about how they are upset with your behavior as well. What's the expression? Judge not lest... you can fill it in.

And you have contributed nothing in this thread.
Old 08-23-09, 05:08 PM   #17
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's funny considering how many members have told me about how they are upset with your behavior as well. What's the expression? Judge not lest... you can fill it in.

And you have contributed nothing in this thread.
Just who is doing the judging (rhetorical)? In your view, I haven't contributed anything, but obviously, I don't share your viewpoint.
Rig 1: HAF 922, X2 4400+, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe , 4x1GB DDR400, 2x500GB, 1x80GB & 1x250GB + ESATCASE2 w/2x1TB HDs, LG CH10LS20 & GH22LS50, Samsung SH-S202N, Asus Xonar D2X,Creative 5.1, GTX460 SC, FusionHDTV7 Gold RT, Acer X233H, Arris TM520G, Cisco E3000, Scythe Kama, CM RS600 PS,HP 5510v,APC BX1000, XP x64, W7 & Kubuntu 9.10

Rig 2: Antec SX1040BII, A8N-SLI, 2x1GB DDR400, 8800GTS, 1x500GB & 1x1TB HDs, Liteon LH-20AIL and Pioneer DVR-111, Audigy 2 ZS, Creative T20 2.1, Antec 500SP, W7 x64 & XP MCE
Old 08-23-09, 05:24 PM   #18
open ofs user

Dear ViN86

Thank you for responding to my question. I appreciate the assistance.
I am new to "posting" and was not expecting such a reaction to my
question on a site designated for general software discussion.
Anyway, thank you again.
Old 08-23-09, 05:26 PM   #19
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by open ofs user View Post
Dear ViN86

Thank you for responding to my question. I appreciate the assistance.
I am new to "posting" and was not expecting such a reaction to my
question on a site designated for general software discussion.
Anyway, thank you again.
No problem.

Your posting style was just a little unorthodox, so people thought you were an advertising bot or something.
Old 08-24-09, 02:23 AM   #20
Rakeesh

Quote:
open ofs user,

Just a tip...in addition to the mistrust caused by postings of new members, there is also a general antipathy to be found on most internet sites towards Christians. I would suggest that in the future that you temporarily discard anything that identifies you as a Christian...other than your normal Christian manners. The internet is too often an unholy world, that reacts adversely to anyone that dons their Christian robes and appears in anyway to rely on these to have any good effect on their reception.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that you do anything to betray your beliefs, but to follow St. Paul's custom of "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". If you weren't a Christian, but of any other faith, you would be received more warmly, but that is a sign of the times in which we live.
It has nothing to do with being Christian. It's just the fact that he posts an email address on a web forum and asks for people to respond to that. This is actually a common spamming tactic.

Honestly I am not entirely convinced that this guy isn't a spammer. Sure he would be putting a little more time into it than your typical spammer, but what gets me here, is that why of all places does he pick this one to ask that question? This is for the most part a forum about video games. Why wouldn't you go to an OOo forum first? Especially given that they have forums in pretty much every language out there, as well as people who volunteer to answer these kinds of questions in those languages.

Not to mention, why would you find the need to broadcast that you are Christian when you are asking a question? IMO more of a way to try to falsely gain somebody's trust. Nigerian scammers do this all the time, and they are anything but Christian.

Old 08-24-09, 03:42 AM   #21
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

nice to see he got help
Old 08-24-09, 11:33 AM   #22
methimpikehoses

Old 08-24-09, 11:55 AM   #23
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
It has nothing to do with being Christian. It's just the fact that he posts an email address on a web forum and asks for people to respond to that. This is actually a common spamming tactic.

Honestly I am not entirely convinced that this guy isn't a spammer. Sure he would be putting a little more time into it than your typical spammer, but what gets me here, is that why of all places does he pick this one to ask that question? This is for the most part a forum about video games. Why wouldn't you go to an OOo forum first? Especially given that they have forums in pretty much every language out there, as well as people who volunteer to answer these kinds of questions in those languages.
On the other hand, he said that he is not accustomed to the internet, which is not difficult to believe, considering his position. Thou it may be difficult for some to understand, not everyone has been using computer most of their lives. I only started at the age of 51 (1998), and well remember how awkward it felt to post on a forum the first time, and that didn't diminish quickly. I still am reluctant to register on new forums, and often fall back to places where I feel a bit more accustomed to, even when there may be better places to post a question.
Quote:

Not to mention, why would you find the need to broadcast that you are Christian when you are asking a question? IMO more of a way to try to falsely gain somebody's trust. Nigerian scammers do this all the time, and they are anything but Christian.
This aspect may be looked at in various fashions, and the manner in which it occurs depends on the perspective of the reader. Personally, I have no problem with a person identifying with their faith. The only reason that I advised him otherwise, is because of the ripples that it sometimes causes, and since he is new to cyberspace, he might not be prepared for the effect.

Old 08-24-09, 12:37 PM   #24
Rakeesh

Quote:
On the other hand, he said that he is not accustomed to the internet, which is not difficult to believe, considering his position. Thou it may be difficult for some to understand, not everyone has been using computer most of their lives. I only started at the age of 51 (1998), and well remember how awkward it felt to post on a forum the first time, and that didn't diminish quickly. I still am reluctant to register on new forums, and often fall back to places where I feel a bit more accustomed to, even when there may be better places to post a question.
So what exactly would guide him here for that question, when the OOo help files and even the place you download it from guides you to those forums?

Quote:
This aspect may be looked at in various fashions, and the manner in which it occurs depends on the perspective of the reader. Personally, I have no problem with a person identifying with their faith. The only reason that I advised him otherwise, is because of the ripples that it sometimes causes, and since he is new to cyberspace, he might not be prepared for the effect.
It's not a "problem" with him identifying his religion.
Closed Thread