Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-25-09, 12:55 AM   #13
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: The Old Republic: 20 min walkthrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
it looks ok..nothing impressive nore anything that really gets me to want to play it. I didn't like one of the things they were saying though, they wanted the game to play as if you were the hero. As if you were the one. This is pretty destined to fail in an MMO. While you can be looked upon as a powerfull adventurer, never should you be attempted to be singled out, because it totaly clashes with the multi-person aspect of the game. Also imo, all the good RPGs have started you at ground level, forcing you to work your way up. If you can allready blast 3 guys at the same time with ease as soon as you start, where to from then?

Btw I don't quite stick bioware in with the group of game companies "that can do no wrong"..
I think the whole point is to make an MMO that plays like a singleplayer RPG.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:57 AM   #14
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

single player mmo? divide by zero?
Old 08-25-09, 03:36 AM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
single player mmo? divide by zero?
It's not singleplayer, it is meant to feel like the singleplayer RPGs we have been playing for a long time now, but in MMO format. As in, I play singleplayer RPGs all the time, and love them, but when I load up a free trial of an MMO I am bored to tears in 10 minutes.

This game is meant to make me want to play an MMO.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 08-25-09, 04:02 AM   #16
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It's not singleplayer, it is meant to feel like the singleplayer RPGs we have been playing for a long time now, but in MMO format. As in, I play singleplayer RPGs all the time, and love them, but when I load up a free trial of an MMO I am bored to tears in 10 minutes.

This game is meant to make me want to play an MMO.
I totally agree. Like playing a campaign cooperatively or alone. It would be nice if they incorporated a campaign that could be finished, but offer what "traditional" MMOs offer, unlimited "quests" and grinding. I for one don't see how this will draw me in, unless it has a goal of sorts, a story. Not the plain old "level up, grind, become rich" blah blah...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:25 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
I totally agree. Like playing a campaign cooperatively or alone. It would be nice if they incorporated a campaign that could be finished, but offer what "traditional" MMOs offer, unlimited "quests" and grinding. I for one don't see how this will draw me in, unless it has a goal of sorts, a story. Not the plain old "level up, grind, become rich" blah blah...
Well you can finish MMO stories, as far as I know... I never played one through myself, but as I understand it they have plotlines with endings, but like a Bethesda game you are then dropped back into the world to do side quests and such.

I could be wrong though, I really have no idea.

All I know is if Bioware wants me to play this it better be 1) easy to do solo, as in no restricted content for party play and scaling enemies, and 2) it better have a singleplayer option or be free to play after purchase with paid DLC being the continued revenue stream.

If both those things end up happening I will buy it day one.

Old 08-25-09, 02:25 PM   #18
Lfctony

AFAIK they don't have a sufficient storyline, only a general one. IE, you can't finish the game like a story, like you would do with a single player game... I don't think MMOs have anything that even comes close to stories like Baldurs Gate or Mass Effect etc. Just a general plot setting with endless, meaningless "subquests", if you will...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

Boycott Starforce...

Old 08-25-09, 02:58 PM   #19
nrdstrm

I can't wait for this one...The 20 minute movie was the same as what I saw at E3, but looked smoother somehow (and it better, as it took them months to put this up)...I asked at the time what hardware they where using but they said they didn't know...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 03:10 PM   #20
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

lfct, blizz actually has an amazing amount of story content hidden within all the quest. You don't need to know who or why to get to 80, but if you take a minute to read quest, mainly quest arcs, You will actually find yourself following several key players from their progression from azeroth, to outland, to wotlk. I just leveled a horde to 80 for the first time and was amazed at how many unique quest horde get. Atleast if not more then %50 of them are much different then alliance, not carbon copies which I would have thought.

I have actually gotten stuck more then once, reading wowwiki for several hours as I read about the history of characters or events (While much of the information is not just ingame, but from books and information revealed by blizzard, it is non the less warcraft). It is definitely something of a mammoth task to match from a new kid on the block. Thats one reason why I am happy to see guild wars2. Guild wars 1 was easily successful, had many things that went right for it and survived where so many MMOs failed.

I like MMOs for the group and community feel, and don't think I would like the cut scenes to much (although the mini ones in aion for starting many quest are OK, infact I kind of like them). Single player RPGS I prefer the cinematic hard core story, and would rather not have to pay a monthly fee to more then one game.

Old 08-25-09, 11:05 PM   #21
Lfctony

I see your point Jeff, but my point is does it really have any quest that will proceed a central story towards the ending of the game? Like a single player game? That's what I mean. I want a goal to motivate me and a story to follow. Like in KOTOR, you were after Malak. After 30 hours you were done. The end. I need a good, substiantial story (stop THE bad guy, or prevent THIS HUGE THING from happenning or something). I just hope they do this for this game.

And hopefully, no massive grinding will be involved. And fast travel. I remember in Galaxies, I had to walk for hours to get from one place to another. I gave that game 2 days...

MMOs end up incredibly boring for me, very fast. I tried WoW, SW Galaxies, and FFXI. I was repulsed by all three of them...

Boycott Starforce...