Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-03, 12:20 AM   #1
Silverbolter

Default Driver Install Question... nvidia.o?

Hi all,

I just installed Slackware Linux on my computer with a Geforce3 Ti200 and thought I'd install the latest nvidia driver on it.

I got the installer file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run and followed instructions in the text file.

Since I have slackware which is a very minimal version of Linux even without the kernel sources, I had to go over to www.kernel.org to get the linux-2.4.20.tar.gz file.

I followed their instructions and unzipped the files to /usr/src file which made a folder called linux-2.4.20. I went in there and did make menuconfig, then make dep, then make clean, then make zImage then make modules.

i ran the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run file and they said they can't find a kernel source for my kernel at the nvidia ftp, so fine it started to build.

When it reached about 20% it complained that it couldn't load the nvidia.o file. I've searched this forum for this problem and you guys say that its because my kernel doesn't match its source.

I am currently away from my linux machine, but if you guys could answer the following questions that would be great.

1) Is nvidia.o included in with the NVIDIA-Linux-x86...run file? or is it from my kernel sources?
2) Would I have to actually install the kernel image I compiled just to make sure its the same?
3) Did I do everything right? I tried to follow the instructions closely however it keeps giving me that error.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Silverbolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 12:23 AM   #2
Silverbolter

Oh yes also, I forgot to ask what is the difference between the IA32, IA64 and AMD64 versions?

I am currently running an AMD XP 1800+.

Thanks!
Silverbolter is offline   Reply With Quote