Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-11, 06:55 PM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Screw you GFWL and SecuROM

All I want to do is quickly play a few missions on GTA4 but I just HAVE to have the stupid arse DVD in the drive. I haven't used my DVD-ROM in MONTHS! I've been making DVD -> ISO backups of my discs (legal) but I can't use it. I paid for this copy of the game and I still get screwed. I'm not plugging my DVD-ROM drive back up, I have a hard drive that needs that SATA port. Screw you SecurROM.

As for GFWL, I can't just play the game without making an account and doing all this other BS? WTF? Maybe I should just get the version or a crack so I don't have to mess around with this crap.

Why must people make this so complicated? Developers ought to know by now that no matter what they do, their game is going to get hacked, cracked and copied. Why not do us all a favor and make it easy to play? You're going to make the same amount of $$$ in the end either way.

/rant

six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:01 PM   #2
Logical

Default Re: Screw you GFWL and SecuROM

Floppy discs are obsolete but i wouldn't say DVD rom drives are, you really should have one plugged in always. Get a sata hub if your out of sockets.

I agree though that it is a right pain having to use disc's, i believe in online verification even for single player games.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:31 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

wow, another useless

1) ISO are breatching EULA
2) PUT IN THE ****ING DVD and problem solved, doesn't require a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
3) I also dislike GFWL, but to dislike it because of acount? are you serious? Its a simple hotmail account/xbox/msn etc.. account, its a account that pretty much everyone has, stop bitchin.
4) back the account, sign in once, and all GFWL games auto login in you
5) stop making excuses to pirate a game

Logical, online verification will not fix the "issues", then people will simply bitch, why do I have to verify, why do I have to be online, bla bla bla

so let me guess you use Iphone? so where is the rant thread that you had to create appleID when you bought your phone? If you have android, where is the rant thread that you had to use google account when you set up your phone?
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:41 PM   #4
bacon12

Buy on steam. Profit?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:50 PM   #5
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Floppy discs are obsolete but i wouldn't say DVD rom drives are, you really should have one plugged in always. Get a sata hub if your out of sockets.

I agree though that it is a right pain having to use disc's, i believe in online verification even for single player games.
I'm honestly over using CDs and DVDs. ISOs are the way to go now IMO besides actual DVD/BR movies IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
wow, another useless

1) ISO are breatching EULA
2) PUT IN THE ****ING DVD and problem solved, doesn't require a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
3) I also dislike GFWL, but to dislike it because of acount? are you serious? Its a simple hotmail account/xbox/msn etc.. account, its a account that pretty much everyone has, stop bitchin.
4) back the account, sign in once, and all GFWL games auto login in you
5) stop making excuses to pirate a game

Logical, online verification will not fix the "issues", then people will simply bitch, why do I have to verify, why do I have to be online, bla bla bla

so let me guess you use Iphone? so where is the rant thread that you had to create appleID when you bought your phone? If you have android, where is the rant thread that you had to use google account when you set up your phone?
How is making an ISO breaching the EULA? Who says I can't make 1 backup of something I legally purchased? Isn't there a law that says you can make 1 backup of your media? ISOs make it easier to swap between discs and they obviously run faster than CDs/DVDs.

I guess I'm going to have to keep my DVD-ROM drive plugged up and just leave my GTA4 disc hanging around in there. Would've been a lot easier to just let me run my legal ISO.

I'd like to play the game without making another account. Yes, I know I've had to make account of many games, but it's annoying as crap. Want to tie my games into my Google account? Something I use daily unlike my GFWL account? Sure go ahead. Oh wait, I have to make another account just to update the game. Just lame.

I'm not trying to condone piracy, so before you license humping hardcores start flaming me, I legally purchased this game. Why can't I just quickly jump in and out of the game as I please? No, I have to jump through 50 hoops.

The only activation I should ever have to do is with the game CD key and that should be it IMO. Again, piracy is going to happen one way or another. Why piss of your customers with this crap?

I'm sorry if I like simplicity, at least with my Android phone I can use ONE FREAKIN ACCOUNT.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:54 PM   #6
jkmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Buy on steam. Profit?
Buy GTA4 expansion packs on steam, still have to deal with ****ing gfwl and ****ing social club. Three ****ing logins and different passwords to play one game.

Rockstar, be glad the GTA4 series was so awesome, or else there are a lot of people who would not be your customers again.
Old 03-25-11, 07:56 PM   #7
Sean_W

Just use an offline GFWL account.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 09:50 PM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Seems like you are making a big deal out of nothing six. These are all things that are fixable. Hell they aren't even broken, it's just the way you go about things.

Setup a GFWL live account, you only have to do it once for all future GFWL games. Or as mentioned... Skip it and play offline. Rockstar social club is no longer required either.
Just put the disc in. Is it really that much of a drama? It's a slim case, it's not like it's taking up half your desk.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-11, 09:57 PM   #9
Q

There's nothing wrong for a PC gamer to not be a masochist.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 10:14 PM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Seems like you are making a big deal out of nothing six. These are all things that are fixable. Hell they aren't even broken, it's just the way you go about things.

Setup a GFWL live account, you only have to do it once for all future GFWL games. Or as mentioned... Skip it and play offline. Rockstar social club is no longer required either.
Just put the disc in. Is it really that much of a drama? It's a slim case, it's not like it's taking up half your desk.
i liked the comment that you removed, since you removed it i won't mention what it was, since you removed maybe you changed your mind about posting it. but I will say that it was appropriate in this case and I agree.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 12:52 AM   #11
mojoman0

Damn and I always thought the best part about pc gaming was getting the game to run. Oh how times have changed
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 01:31 AM   #12
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

LOL that's true. I remember the battle to get my LucasArts and Sierra games to run with sound AND midi in DOS. No problems with sound and FM, not problems with MIDI alone, but both... It was worth it though.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote