MGrosskopf

Default "Required Files" missing

First off, my configuration:

Compaq CQ50-115NR (AMD64 Turion X2)
GeForce 8200M G - 512MB
Kubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28.14)
Xorg 1.6
Nvidia 180.44

I have had problems with Compositing - Xserver lockups, etc. until I disabled "Compositing" and "Desktop Effects". Currently, everything appears to running fine, including decent performance in WoW. (~40-50 FPS, Wine 1.1.26). One step I took (!??) during troubleshooting was to RTFM and reconciled "Required Files" to what was installed. The results indicate I am missing some files...actually about a dozen files and others were not named, or linked per the list.

1. Are the missing/misnamed files a peculiarity to Kubuntu JJ?

2. Also, it seems that Nvidia Settings (v. 1.17) won't save changed settings to xorg.conf; and my clumsy attempts at prefixing "sudo" to the command line in the menu entry results in nvidia-settings GUI not running *at all*.

I would appreciate any advice, or clarification. Yeah, I know, I should just forget it and walk on, but that's not my nature.

Thanks,

Mark
MGrosskopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 12:09 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: "Required Files" missing

Which files are you talking about, specifically? It's possible that the paths are different on your system than they're listed in the documentation.

As for nvidia-settings, that's correct: you cannot write to /etc/X11/xorg.conf as a non-root user. You can get around that problem by either saving it somewhere else and then moving it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf as root (e.g. using sudo), or as you attempted by running "sudo nvidia-settings" from a terminal. If you're trying to run it as root from a menu entry, you'll need to use a graphical sudo program such as gksudo or kdesu instead of the command-line-only sudo.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 12:46 PM   #3
Dizzle7677

Default Re: "Required Files" missing

Quote:
2. Also, it seems that Nvidia Settings (v. 1.17) won't save changed settings to xorg.conf; and my clumsy attempts at prefixing "sudo" to the command line in the menu entry results in nvidia-settings GUI not running *at all*.
If you're using the XFS filesystem you can add your username to the ACL of /etc/X11 and the associated xorg.conf files so you can save,edit,etc through the Nvid control panel/Xserver Settings. Eiciel is the program you would use...Ex. sudo eiciel
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote