Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-02-09, 12:38 PM   #25
Nitz Walsh

Default Re: Assassin's Creed 2 Delayed on PC Solely for Piracy Concerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
Totally agree with you mailman2, piracy on the 360 is freakin easy, takes 5 minutes to "mod" the console
I've seen almost all the walkthroughs for 360 modding, and even if you had the tools just opening up the damn thing will take more than 10 minutes. If there's a new software or USB-only method of modding the 360 then this is the first I've heard of it.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 01:01 PM   #26
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
Laughable. The effort and risk required to mod a 360 to accept pirated copies is monumental as compared to just downloading a torrent and applying the crack on the PC. The # of 360 games being seeded as compared to PC gamers easily verifies this, if the sales alone don't..

We just went through this. Once you have a 360 modded you are set. Much easier to pirate on the 360, you just have to know that one guy that mods them. Easy.

For someone that knows how to open a 360 its a 2 second job. Connect the SATA connect to an external connection on the pc, flash the drive. You're done. Its cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 01:45 PM   #27
Logical

When will developers learn ?

Its a crying shame that in this day of age they cannot rely on online activation to play multiplayer or singleplayer games. Very very rarely is a multiplayer game pirated for that soul reason.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 01:54 PM   #28
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
We just went through this. Once you have a 360 modded you are set.
Yes, once it's modded. There are still legitimate concerns for 360 owners who want to do this:

- The effort required to mod it in the first place.
- Voids your warranty. Really, really not a good practice for the RROD 360.
- Possibly getting you banned from Xbox live (although rare these days with the latest mods).

That restricts it to the "hardcore" 360 gamers market. A market which is no doubt increasing as more and more gamers either purchase or outright switch to consoles for their primary gaming needs, but it's likely still a small percentage of console owners. After all, not bothering with technical details is a selling point for a console. Just get the game and play - the list above is enough to scare off the majority of 360 owners I would think.

Although I think there's more factors at play with regards to Epic ****ting on the PC lately, I do think there was some truth to CliffyB's complaint that the problem with action-game piracy on the PC is that the individual who knows that a GTX 275 is a better card than a 9800GT is one who can easily download a game and apply a crack file.
Quote:
Much easier to pirate on the 360, you just have to know that one guy that mods them. Easy.
And if you do "know a guy" (hell it's not like scoring weed) and want them to do it, you're still paying a fee where the outcome isn't guaranteed and you're voiding the warranty of your system.

Even with that granted, it still doesn't explain the complete lack of torrent seeders as compared to PC gamers, and the much higher (usually - there are exceptions like HL2) sales of cross-platform action games on the 360, even with simultaneous releases. There are what - ~30 million 360's out now? Year-old PC game torrents absolutely dwarf the seeders I've seen with 360 titles, and that's just recent 360. Older 360 titles by a few months have almost zero seeders.

And even if it's just a matter of perception, perception does matter when you're the developer and can instantly see your title being seeded by 2,000 seeders and 10,000 leechers on the day of release. Perhaps only 5% of them would have bought it, who knows - but it has to be damned demoralizing. You just don't see that with console titles, and sure perhaps there's this massive undeground mod-club of 360 owners who swap titles and burn rented copies and don't release them on the net - perhaps. But you don't hear about publishers complaining that 360 multiplayer titles are getting swarmed with players well in excess of the legitimate sales for the product. Sales in general for most high-production value titles are far more than they are on the PC. These factors to me indicate that console piracy is a tiny, tiny fraction of the legitimate players.
Quote:
For someone that knows how to open a 360 its a 2 second job. Connect the SATA connect to an external connection on the pc, flash the drive. You're done. Its cake.
The mod walkthroughs I have must be ancient then. As noted above though if it were truly this easy/painless, we'd see the end effects more readily.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 03:27 PM   #29
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
Yes, once it's modded. There are still legitimate concerns for 360 owners who want to do this:

- The effort required to mod it in the first place.
- Voids your warranty. Really, really not a good practice for the RROD 360.
- Possibly getting you banned from Xbox live (although rare these days with the latest mods).

That restricts it to the "hardcore" 360 gamers market. A market which is no doubt increasing as more and more gamers either purchase or outright switch to consoles for their primary gaming needs, but it's likely still a small percentage of console owners. After all, not bothering with technical details is a selling point for a console. Just get the game and play - the list above is enough to scare off the majority of 360 owners I would think.

Although I think there's more factors at play with regards to Epic ****ting on the PC lately, I do think there was some truth to CliffyB's complaint that the problem with action-game piracy on the PC is that the individual who knows that a GTX 275 is a better card than a 9800GT is one who can easily download a game and apply a crack file.
This.

Let's all stop pretendting console piracy is anywhere near the problem PC piracy is. Even if it was as easy on console, which it really, really isn't, the simple fact still remains that console games sell a ton more units, and that makes it a lot harder to noice the pirated copies. PC gaming sales are in the gutter AND they are heavily pirated because it is easy to do so... there lies your problem.

And let's try and keep this on topic for Assassin's Creed 2 and the act of delaying a game solely for piracy reasons. I think this actually makes sense for a company, because the key thing is to keep pirated copies away untl the first week or two of sales, as that is when you make your money. I have already seen plenty of people on other forums say "well, guess I will get the PS3 version", which is exactly what these companies want.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 04:34 PM   #30
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I have already seen plenty of people on other forums say "well, guess I will get the PS3 version", which is exactly what these companies want.
So people will just have to settle for the console version. Well if thats the case they really are trying to kill pc gaming.

Quote:
Old 09-02-09, 04:51 PM   #31
K007

Quote:
This.

Let's all stop pretendting console piracy is anywhere near the problem PC piracy is. Even if it was as easy on console, which it really, really isn't, the simple fact still remains that console games sell a ton more units, and that makes it a lot harder to noice the pirated copies. PC gaming sales are in the gutter AND they are heavily pirated because it is easy to do so... there lies your problem.

And let's try and keep this on topic for Assassin's Creed 2 and the act of delaying a game solely for piracy reasons. I think this actually makes sense for a company, because the key thing is to keep pirated copies away untl the first week or two of sales, as that is when you make your money. I have already seen plenty of people on other forums say "well, guess I will get the PS3 version", which is exactly what these companies want.
lol?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 05:28 PM   #32
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
lol?
What?
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 09-03-09, 12:04 AM   #33
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
So people will just have to settle for the console version. Well if thats the case they really are trying to kill pc gaming.
Well, that's what I am doing. Having no qualms whatsoever on which platform I will play (infact I prefer games on my consoles) and since there's no difference with the games, why not buy the console version? But then they will come out and say "our game did not sell well enough on the PC blah blah due to piracy" and not bother with the PC in the future...

Sure, piracy will make a difference in sales, but so will the fact that you will release the damn game late for PC users, so impatient ones will run out and get the console version.

Back on topic:
Are they doing anything different with the PC version? With Batman, they supposedly added physX, hence the delay (BTW that game was leaked on the PC today...) So much for preventing piracy...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 12:36 AM   #34
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
and since there's no difference with the games, why not buy the console version?
Har...

Old 09-03-09, 01:06 AM   #35
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Har...
yea. ugh.

Quote:
Old 09-03-09, 01:06 AM   #36
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

nm