Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-03-09, 12:07 AM   #37
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Assassin's Creed 2 Delayed on PC Solely for Piracy Concerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
and since there's no difference with the games, why not buy the console version?.

yap, no difference, 720p or less with no AA little to none AF looks identifical to 1080p with 16xAA and AF

oh, yeah and higher res textures, mods, and now extra visual effects
Old 09-03-09, 12:47 AM   #38
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
Yes, once it's modded. There are still legitimate concerns for 360 owners who want to do this:

- The effort required to mod it in the first place.
- Voids your warranty. Really, really not a good practice for the RROD 360.
There's quite easy solution for this, buy your console already modded from a shop that offers warranty.
After that life as a pirate is quite easy.
It isn't always as easy on PC where sometimes you must jump trough hoops to get game working, even when it is legal.

Sad thing with pirated wares is that it's hurts the new developers most, as people tend to buy Halo3 and pirate the other strange game for 'testing'.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 02:13 AM   #39
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
The point is, devs and pubs will spend money on console piracy but do nothing about PC piracy. I work closely with several top publishes and to be honest, they could care less when I send them links to sites that are offering their "PC games" for free and out in the open.
What do you mean by "spend money on console piracy"? How does one go about that?

Also, even if the publishers truly didn't care about the precious memos you been sending them, who's to blame them? Take the Pirate Bay case for example. Even after they lost a major trial to a consortium of publishers, the site is alive and well on the internets.

Hmm, maybe it is not that easy and straightforward to prevent ANY piracy, afterall?

Quote:
Also you bring up the PS3, and it's lack of piracy. I wonder if that has anything to do with it's great sales numbers? - which I think is the better of all consoles.
What you're saying? It has nothing to do with sales numbers. It has all to do with the technical impossibility to pirate PS3 games.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 03:41 AM   #40
Retrolock

I'll buy AC2 when it goes on sale on Steam, like what I did to AC1 (still haven't finished this damned game). The delay doesn't bother me. We have too many PC AAA games that'll come out like Batman, Modern Warfare 2, Alpha Protocol, Dirt 2 etc...

As for the piracy talks, I won't touch that topic, its a lost cause for us PC gamers.
Old 09-03-09, 07:17 AM   #41
Lfctony

All three of you are turds... Like I will spend more money for a PC that can run AC2 at 16AA at 1920x1080... Really guys, stop talking as if people have an unlimited budget... Sure, the PC will offer more, but at what cost? I mean real cost? Money-wise? And don't tell me its cheap to run new games at those settings. You need top of the line hardware to run new games without the very demanding features, let alone with those.

And there was one S more in that sentence. I was talking about AC2... This is what the thread is about, right? So far, AC2 has no extra features on the PC. For all we know, the games are currently identical, with the PC getting the usual higher AA/AF and resolution that can be applied like on any other game.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 08:43 AM   #42
Lfctony

It might be cheap in Switzerland and even cheaper in the US. But not all countries are like that. Our cheapest online shop (and I mean these guys have the best prices) have the 4870 for 200 Euros (thats 280 bucks) ... Normal price everywhere else over here is 270 Euros. For example, a cheap (for everywhere else in the world) i7 920, costs 323 Euros (that's 440 bucks).

Anyway, I'll mark down this as a misunderstanding. I already said a couple of days ago in the Batman thread that PCs tend to receive the superior version of games (except some turds that serve PS2 ports)...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

Boycott Starforce...

Old 09-03-09, 09:12 AM   #43
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Also game prices are much lower on the PC.
I'll give you that, as long as you don't buy from Steam...

Boycott Starforce...

Old 09-03-09, 09:51 AM   #44
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
In my opinion price is not an argument against PC gaming anymore. Even midrange PC gaming components are very, very fast now. Not sure about AC2 but you can build a solid gaming rig for about CHF 600.- (that's $566, but it should be less in the US because components are a bit more expensive here). That's not much more compared to a new console, even considering the new price points. Even with such a system, it's possible to play every modern multi-plattform game maxed out at 1080p with AA and AF - hell even with much higher frame rate.
Very true. Price has been the least of the PC's problems for quite a while now, and we're just on the verge of a new generation of GPU's from Nvidia and ATI, putting the price/performance argument even more in the PC's favour. For pete's sake, $70 graphics cards and sub-$100 CPU rigs run rings around the consoles now.

Someone posted that if the console version was available at the same time as the PC version, why not get the console version? Uh...graphics quality? Performance? Price? Control options? The ability to enable triple buffering (really, so many console games exhibit tearing these days, it's a joke). I can't tell you how many 360 games would be more enjoyable with higher res, better textures, and most importantly 60fps. It makes such a huge difference - and that's assuming the console version is a steady 30fps, many games aren't even that. I really, really like Gears of War 2 on 360. I would probably play it till my fingers bled if they came out with a PC version. 60fps constant, 1080p on my 46" HDTV? Free downloadable maps by the user community? Ah, one can dream...

Outside of price, the main problem in terms of hardware for action-gaming on the PC is that the PC's that are really selling now are notebooks and netbooks - absolutely useless for gaming.
Quote:
I'd say there is absolutely no point in console gaming right now. Apart from a handful of good exclusive games.
Well, yeah - I wouldn't quite go that far (360 has some nice auxiliary functions with netflix, a very active Live! community, and outside of RROD even your grandma can get a game working with usually no issues). But when a title is available on both, outside of the few horrible ports the PC version is usually cheaper and runs tons better.
Quote:
Compare that to PC gaming where lots of great classics are still played everyday on MP servers and some devs are still putting out patches.
The development and life cycles are much longer on the PC because you have to support your community over years. That's also expensive and something you don't have to do on consoles because most gamers have already forgot about your game 3 weeks after the release And MP support is also not that critical. Those morons are even happy with P2P MP
Good points.

But going back to the PC hardware that can run these games, I also think end-user education is an issue, people are just too intimated to decide what hardware to get for their PC to play high-end games well, they either assume a "gaming" PC is $2000 or are just bewildered - and rightfully so - by the ridiculous naming schemes Nvidia, and to a lesser extent ATI have brought upon us as they try and squeeze every last dollar for every market segment at the expense of consumer confusion.

You know what would be a great place to educate consumers on how powerful and cheap PC gaming is? The new Microsoft Stores. And of course, not a chance in hell that will happen, because the 360 is their baby now. It was supposed to happen with Vista launch and those hundreds of PC gaming kiosks in Gamestop, but of course they nixed that idea - that they promoted - quite quickly. Sad to say Microsoft has a big hand in minimizing PC gaming these days.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-09, 09:52 AM   #45
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
I'll give you that, as long as you don't buy from Steam...
...on a weekday...
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 10:10 AM   #46
Shocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Unless they release it only on STEAM and Direct2Drive. No retail = no piracy.
Steam titles get pirated just as quickly, thats not a solution.
Shocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 10:27 AM   #47
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
...on a weekday...
Steam offers don't happen often on big name titles, especially close to their release. And the same way you wait for a special deal on Steam, you can wait for it in retail, so that point is nullified... Compare normal, everyday prices and the Steam version costs as much as console versions for games... That's true for almost all new multiplatform games, which cost around 52 Euros for the console version vs 50 Euros for the Steam PC version... That same PC version costs about 32 Euros in normal retail stores.

Do you know that Dawn of War 2 retails at 50 Euros from Steam and 15 Euros from play.com?
Mass Effect 45 Euros from Steam, 19 Euros from play.com.
Dead Space, 45 Euros Steam, 19 Euros play.com.
Fallout 3, 45 Euros Steam, 17 Euros play.com

I can go on all f*cking day... And those play.com prices have been like that for ages now. You don't even have to wait for a special offer. It's like they're always on offer when compared to Steam prices...

Yes I've beaten this donkey to death already, but truth be told, I don't want to be taken for a fool, because that's what they think we are...

Boycott Starforce...

Old 09-03-09, 10:59 PM   #48
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Problem is not piracy, price or whatever. It's the gamers. Gaming changed, it's mainstream now and so are most of the gamers. They don't enjoy games anymore, they consume them. Buy a game, 5-8h of gaming (maybe more for gamer score ), next game... It's like the paradise for making money. And this effect is stronger on the consoles because those gamers don't know all those other things you got to do with a game in the past on the PC.
Console gamers are even pissed when they have to wait 5min for installing a demo or so...
Great post.

Lfctony, I didn't mean to give you a hard time. The PC has a ton of advantages in my opinion, but those advantages are only important if they matter to you. If they don't, they basically don't exist.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote