Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-09, 10:16 AM   #13
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: What's the future for PC gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt View Post
PC gaming is going strong in my neck of the woods.

We've got Aion coming, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Jumpgate, Startrek Online, Starwars the old republic, Black prophecy, Secret World, Earthrise, Guild Wars II, Diablo III, Mafia II, plus many many more.

Gaming is very much alive on the PC.
Very true, although the more militant members here will discount the cross platforms like ME2 and DA.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 12:02 PM   #14
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Very true, although the more militant members here will discount the cross platforms like ME2 and DA.
No I just discount that many of those games wont be seen till next year easily.

His comment on PC Gaming being very much alive is funny though... No one said it is dyign or will die. It's just not at the high it use to be. PC Gaming use to be the main leader in the industry and has not been put as an after thought for most developers.

Noriega, It's scary but I somewhat agree on what you said. PC Gaming is advertised so bad, Why advertise the hardware specs when the general gaming public doesn't care... they just want to play the games. Consoles barely advertise the hardware but more the software, like it should be.

shteve, Whats to get excited about? Most games are developed on the PC and brought then to consoles... it's just that many of those PC Versions never see the light of day or are delayed horribly. Look at Star Wars: TFU, I bet the PC version has been completed a year ago... it's just not untill now that LA wants to release it. Remember coding for the X360 and the PC is very similar so when making a game for the X360 you are essentially making a PC Game...
Old 09-05-09, 01:04 PM   #15
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well, Starcraft II is a huge game and PC only.
Old 09-05-09, 01:26 PM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
Well, Starcraft II is a huge game and PC only.
And? I bet we will see a console release of it in some form aswell.

http://www.starcraft2.com/faq.xml
Quote:
Will there be a console version of StarCraft II?

StarCraft II is being developed for Windows and Mac. We have no current plans to bring the game to any console platform.
Read between the lines. If there was never an idea of bringing it over they would have just said no, insted they say they have no current plans...

ActivisionBlizzard is a primarly console publisher, they do support the PC but they know more money is coming from consoles...
Old 09-05-09, 01:45 PM   #17
a12ctic

I can't believe that SC was ported to the N64. I just can't imagine playing it on a console.
Old 09-05-09, 02:54 PM   #18
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
And? I bet we will see a console release of it in some form aswell.

http://www.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

Read between the lines. If there was never an idea of bringing it over they would have just said no, insted they say they have no current plans...

ActivisionBlizzard is a primarly console publisher, they do support the PC but they know more money is coming from consoles...
Well certainly they say no current plans, anything can change. But I do believe that if it ever ends up on consoles, it won't be for some time and it will likely be a very different game.
Old 09-05-09, 03:30 PM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I think the industry itself is in a weird place... it's being heavily mainstreamed, the Wii is making companies thing win-buttons and motion controls are the future (even if no one buys games for it) and the old addage of simple and easy over challenging and rewarding is being solidified. Section 8 just came out, an online FPS to challenge Halo (har), and it has a freaking lock-on ability... for online multi! Seriously!

These things all influence where the PC is at, because PC gamers are even more traditional and demanding than old-school console players. If your game isn't built from the ground up for PC tech, it's "consolized" trash. If your game is mainstreamed at all, it's "consolized trash." In my opinion, that is only going to get worse over time, with natal coming and next gen consoles likely matching the Wii more than anything else.

PC's place in all this is really up in the air... I mean, I look at this year and next year and see a ton of games I want to play, so I am set for now, but will I still be playing what we think of as PC games in ten years? Will anyone? I think that is a very tough question to answer.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 04:14 PM   #20
Amaury

Marketing/money rule. Forget about supporting the latest greatest technology. Consoles have taken over game developement (Carmack hated consoles back in the old Quake/Doom days). Look at him now. These DX11 cards coming out sound exciting but what games are we going to play to take advantage of them? Dirt 2? and then..........?
Amaury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-09, 05:16 PM   #21
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

PC Gaming will live forever .................You treacherous Cretins.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 06:05 PM   #22
Amaury

yes it will live forever but unfortunetly we will see fewer and fewer pc games like the previous generations going all the way back to the Voodoo days that pushed the technology that were either a. pc only or b. developed for the pc from the ground up and then ported over to consoles. we will see more MMOs, the Sims-type games, etc. that are more suited for the pc environment. There won't be any more Unreals or Cyrsis's if you understand my point. We will have to wait for the next generation of consoles
Old 09-05-09, 06:09 PM   #23
TheANIMAL

In about three or four years when the next generatin of consoles do come out, things will get rolling again.

Games will also be very pretty.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 06:10 PM   #24
Amaury

and that stinks because the excitement of buying a new graphics card/pc hardware is gone unless you are a cuda app developer. games with new engines that push graphics will be a thing of the past on the pc