Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-09, 11:26 PM   #37
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: KOTOR on Steam!

I have never played KotOR 2 past a few hours I don't think... I should probably play that now, instead of playing this all over again, but something just makes me want to play the original right now.

Is KotOR 2 as buggy as people say it is?
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 12:21 AM   #38
Sweetz

Hey guys, so I took a look at the executable for the Steam version and it appears that it's encrypted because I can't find anything even close to the appropriate hex strings - regardless of any changes in offsets or anything like that. So it appears that using the no-CD executable will be the "official" solution for the Steam version.

I updated the WSGF wiki page to better guide people through the whole patching process, including getting the no-CD for the Steam version:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...s_for_SW:KOTOR
2 x 2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
Creative X-FI Titanium
Corsair 620HX PSU
Win7 Home Premium x64
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 12:43 AM   #39
Retrolock

Thanks! I used the no-cd executable + UNIws and WS worked perfectly!
Old 09-07-09, 03:31 PM   #40
shilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Is KotOR 2 as buggy as people say it is?
Oh yeah. KOTOR II shouldn't even be categorized as a sequel. It would have made more sense if it was it's own game. It's one of the shady advertising gimmicks Obsidian uses to make money from popular titles in hopes to make money just from the name alone. There were a few game-stopping bugs, plus incoherent contingencies. One patch fixed a few, and another completely broke them and more. I know I talk a ton of smack about Obisidian, but seriously... wtf.

It may be decent (as some say they liked it), but it just didn't feel like a KOTOR game to me at all. If you have it, then by all means play it. But if you don't, rent it or something because I sure as hell regretted purchasing this pos. The game just didn't make any sense at all because the story was all over the place. And don't even get me started on the ending. To me, it just didn't gel together well. The first KOTOR had consistency but the second one didn't. They just made you do a ton of stuff to no end or purpose. By the time you continue on with the actual storyline, you've already forgot about what the hell it was you were supposed to do there's that much filler.

And thanks, Sweetz! I'm sure a lot of people will find that very handy.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 03:35 PM   #41
|MaguS|

KOTOR 2 was good, not as great as the original but it wasn't bad at all. I don't know how it didn't feel like KOTOR since well it had the same battle system, dialogue system and was a direct follow up in regards to story.

As for blaming Obsidian, wasn't there fault in my opinion. Lucas Arts wanted to get the game out for the holiday's. It wasn't ready and they forced Obsidian to rush the project to meet their deadline.
Old 09-07-09, 06:49 PM   #42
shilk

True, but granted Obsidian's track record, they're no Treyarch or anything. They never make anything original that doesn't depend on the code or success of it's predecessor to milk money from. Simply put, everything they make is not derived from their own hands. Assets are handed to them and they just purchase licenses that other people have sold to them. It doesn't take any talent to do this. Now I can understand that it may be the smart thing not to dump tons of money in production costs, but damn... everything they've put out is so sloppy. You'd think with all of the assets practicially given to them that they could at least finish something on time at least.

Bioware: "Here's all of the tools and assets. Good luck."
Obsidian: "Okay. Now what do we do with this stuff?"

But yeah. From a production standpoint, they're a mess, and it kind of shows in their products. It just doesn't have a "buttoned-up" feeling to them. It's like I'm playing a bad mod or something that someone made. KOTOR II was a super-crap story, and same gameplay (albeit broken) as the first. That's my whole point. How can you take one game and turn it into a steaming turd? The whole point of a sequel is to improve on the previous title — not break it even more and turn the franchise into crap. And that's very hard to do when you practically have everything at your disposal that the previous succesful company has already used and given to you.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 07:52 PM   #43
|MaguS|

Um Obsidian is a new company... not like they have much to go by to get an original IP funded. They have their first original IP (Alpha Protocol) releasing this year.

The engine KOTOR 2 is running is more advanced, it features alot more graphics then KOTOR1. Heck look at NWN2, they really made that game far better then NWN...

KOTOR2 was not a steaming pile of turd. I played it completly through 4+ times. It's not as great as the original due to many planets later on feeling rushed but it was still a great RPG.

You do know that many of the guys from Obsidian are the same guys who made all the amazing RPGs for the PC back in the 90s, right? Majority of the Black Isle's team is at Obsidian...
Old 09-07-09, 08:03 PM   #44
Retrolock

I really liked KOTOR 2. Yeah the ending was kinda meh, but I finished that game. The Sith Lords was such an awesome title.

I can't wait for Alpha Protocol. Just gonna fix up my funds and I'll buy it pronto!

Old 09-08-09, 09:06 PM   #45
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I am gathering from all the posts and links that there is no way to edit the config to allow native wide-screen without changing the executable?

I dled it over the weekend but haven't played it yet, trying to get the right setup for widescreen.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:12 PM   #46
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I am gathering from all the posts and links that there is no way to edit the config to allow native wide-screen without changing the executable?

I dled it over the weekend but haven't played it yet, trying to get the right setup for widescreen.
Nope, if you edit the config it just goes widescreen but its stretched I believe.
Old 09-08-09, 11:38 PM   #47
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

For some reason the hack doesn't work for me

Oh well.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 11:48 PM   #48
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
For some reason the hack doesn't work for me

Oh well.
Well, you are doing something wrong... it won't just magically not work on your copy. Go through the steps again.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote