Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-09, 12:48 AM   #13
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Darkest of Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
NarcissistZero, what do you think of the AI and gameplay so far? I enjoyed the demo, but mowing down Confederates didn't seem particularly challenging or anything. I figure it'll be fun, and I think PC Gamer gave it a decent review; odd though that the general gaming populace is so against this one.
Well, World War 1 was trech warfare with rushing, and that is pretty much how they act. The modern enemies I hope will act in more tactical fashion, but I haven't fought them yet, only seen them.

There was one cool moment where I had an auto-shotgun and all the germans ran from me as I shot them in the back... there seems to be a simple AI script that has them run from you when you have a modern weapon, and it feels pretty cool as you play.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 12:56 AM   #14
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
There was one cool moment where I had an auto-shotgun and all the germans ran from me as I shot them in the back... there seems to be a simple AI script that has them run from you when you have a modern weapon, and it feels pretty cool as you play.
Hey, that's encouraging! That's one thing I was thinking about re: the War of Northern Aggression. I thought the Confederates should be high tailing it while I went ballistic with the sub-machine gun. Keep us posted on your thoughts. I haven't completely counted this one out (I'm just sort of not anxious to buy anything at the moment in anticipation of Batman next week ).
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 03:28 AM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Okay, the AI is sometimes good, sometimes not. I think it might depend on the location and kind of army you are fighting, which would be awesome, but I am not sure. I did a night mission in the civil war and we assaulted this mansion, and the guys there were flanking me and using pincer tactics like mad... I took cover behind a rock and before I knew it I had guys to the left and right shooting me from cover of their own, making me come out. On the other hand, during the actual battle part they all just kind of stand there and shoot.

The future dudes, who I guess are evil, seem to charge at you, but they have this armor you can't penetrate with old weapons, so mayb that is the reason. They look cool, that's all I know.

The game is undeniably fun... shooting native americans with a shotgun repeatedly to the face while they try to draw a bow and arrow on you seems to never get old. The enviornments are large, or at least appear large, and the action is fast-paced and fun. I want to say it is basically like Wolfenstein from a few weeks back, very fun and polished but not revolutionary. I think this game's story and theme might put it even one step ahead, though it does not have grand set pieces (yet?).

Also, there is an odd 9/11 reference, so if that will bother you, note it exists.

More pics:

I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 09-09-09, 03:52 AM   #16
HiCZoK4

this lloks good and sure got my attention. going for the demo.
and this topic somehow made me want to play Half life2:P
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 04:36 AM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
this lloks good and sure got my attention. going for the demo.
and this topic somehow made me want to play Half life2:P
Yeah, definately check out the demo... I think the full game is better than the demo, but it still should be enough to know whether you want it or not.

Note that the part in the demo with the forced walking is the only time I have encountered that in the game... nowhere else. That annoyed me a lot, glad to see it isn't common at all.

Old 09-09-09, 07:48 AM   #18
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I enjoyed the demo, but this retail to have even better textures. Too bad so many hated on it because of the demo. This looks to be a fun game which is what I thought it was going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:13 AM   #19
wazooda

Played the demo and really enjoyed it. I think I'll by the game...

But I have a technical question:

running 280GTX in SLI with 190.62 drivers. With SLI on and running the benchmark, I get in the low-20's running at 3840x1024. Turn SLI OFF in the CP, and my frames jump to the low 30's.

In addition, I turn on the SLI Graph in nHancer and nothing appears.

Is SLI broken in this game? Seems odd that I get much better frames with SLI off....
X-Fi XTreme Gamer
4gb Ram
Koolance PC3-725 Watercooled case
3 - HPLP2065 LCD's
Windows 7
wazooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 12:25 AM   #20
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazooda View Post
Played the demo and really enjoyed it. I think I'll by the game...

But I have a technical question:

running 280GTX in SLI with 190.62 drivers. With SLI on and running the benchmark, I get in the low-20's running at 3840x1024. Turn SLI OFF in the CP, and my frames jump to the low 30's.

In addition, I turn on the SLI Graph in nHancer and nothing appears.

Is SLI broken in this game? Seems odd that I get much better frames with SLI off....
I have a pair of GTX 260s and when I tried to force SLI using nHancer the demo ran like a pig. So I deleted the profile, started over, and it ran just fine.

Oddly, EVGA Precision reported that the game was running in OpenGL and not DirectX, but the Steam page says the requirement is DirectX 9.0c, so I dunno. Either way, yeah, don't worry about the nHancer profile it doesn't seem to work.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-09, 03:48 AM   #21
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

haha ouch. 3.6 / 10 from IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1023048p2.html (360 version which they say looks ugly)
Old 09-10-09, 04:13 AM   #22
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
haha ouch. 3.6 / 10 from IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1023048p2.html (360 version which they say looks ugly)
Yeah, from what I have read it is a horrible 360 port.

Old 09-10-09, 04:18 AM   #23
ATi
RooR

looks ugly on RROD_box but NarcissistZero screen shots look great PC FTW
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 04:31 AM   #24
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I read the review... I don't disagree with much of it, but I do disagree with the complaints equaling a freaking 4.0 (the PC review score, slightly higher than the one linked above).

The main two problems they nailed are occasional buggy enemies... I have seen twice or so an enemy not notice me, but on the whole this doesn't really happen at all... and repeated timelines. I have played like 12 missions so far and all but two of them and the prologue were in World War 1 and the Civil War. This seems to be not only a budget thing, less enviornments meaning less expense, but also a design thing... the developers obviously wanted to feature grand battles with hundreds of NPCs at once on screen, and that limited them to certain times. Personally I can't wait to see Pompei and whatever suprises might be in store.

The main things I disagree with in that review are graphics and controls. The controls are perfect... I rolled back my AA to 4 and turned of Ambient Occlusion and the game plays silky smooth like a PC classic. I turned the AO back on though, as it adds a lot to the game, but even at 30-40fps the game controls fine. The keys are setup well, there is no console auto-aim... I think they just copied that over from the Xbox part of the review to justify the score. Graphics... well, for how many things are on screen at once I think they look damn good. Some levels oddly are not as great looking, and overall the Civil War looks better than other time periods, but everything is still nice looking... see the pics below.

All in all, I have played 6+ hours so far and my summary is still roughly what it was at the start... fun game, nothing too amazing, buy it if you like average FPS games like Timeshift and Quake 4. This one isn't quite as polished as those, but the settings and such make up for it.

Last round of pics from me, unless some later level is so awesome looking I have to post some: